Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cebu Crash 3 April 1945 (Read 2903 times)
mickey
YaBB Newbies

VA
Cebu Crash 3 April 1945
Jan 28th, 2007, 5:40pm

I am trying to locate Philippine Scouts who would have arrived at this crash site shortly after the crash.

In a document I just received it states one airman buried on 4 April by Philippine Scouts. A witness stated he was still alive when found on the third.

The remains of the other five crew members were not recovered until Jan 1947. Unidentifiable they were buried as unknowns.

Our story is a lengthy one and not complete.

Mickey
Proud Sister of S/Sgt George L. Winkler
KIA 3 April 1945 Cebu, Philippines
Volunteer Coordinator
WWII Families For The Return Of The Missing
  IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Re: Cebu Crash 3 April 1945
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2007, 12:01am

Mickey,

I got what you probably already have, but it is a start point for me.  I wasn't in WW II as I was born in 1938,  but I get whatever Government records they have off the internet.  What I got are US Veterans Cemeteries, one for Arlington and the other for Jefferson Barracks.  Arlington Internment date is 3 April 1945 and Jefferson's is 15 Dec 1949.   Both records list a SSgt George L Winkler with a service end date of 3 Apr 1945.  So they are the same person.

Probably someone who was there and reads this can add pertinent information.  I will continue to search out on the internet.  Most of the books I have deal with the period of the Japanese capturing the Philippines.  I will search the few I have that deal with the recapture and if I get anything I will put it on this message board.

Regards,

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
mickey
YaBB Newbies

VA
Re: Cebu Crash 3 April 1945
Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2007, 7:45am

Hi Tom

Thank you for looking. I do have the burial information.

Unfortunately it isn't that easy.

The crash was 1945 - Patrol reached site soon after but no search for survivors except to bury the one airman

Recovery of remains 1947

Burial and storage under unknown numbers that changed to second set of unknown numbers

Military board assigns missing crew names to those from crash site 1949

Buried as a group in MO Dec 1949

First and second set of unknown numbers now cancelled

Natives find remains in 1951 and turn over to US consul  on Cebu

This prompts a search to crash site

Remains recovered and sent to Manila - assigned third set of unknown numbers

Disposition of 1951 remains unknown - not added to group site in MO

Classified document discovered three weeks ago show 1951 remains were shipped from Manila to Hawaii to San Francisco
and were there as early as Jan 1952

Search ongoing to try to locate remains that may be buried under third set of unknown numbers. Or may have been cremated because they were considered "extra portions" by the gov't

Families were never advised of the 1951 recovery. Not advised of much of anything.

Thanks for your help.
Regards

Mickey
Proud Sister of S/Sgt George L. Winkler
KIA 3 April 1945 Cebu, Philippines
Volunteer Coordinator
WWII Families For The Return Of The Missing
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print