Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WILLIBALD CHARLES BIANCHI, 45th inf PS (Read 4176 times)
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
WILLIBALD CHARLES BIANCHI, 45th inf PS
Dec 24th, 2006, 5:59am

A stranger honored First Lieutenant WILLIBALD CHARLES BIANCHI, U.S. Army, 45th Infantry, Philippine Scouts, with his MOH citation at http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.bianchi/117/mb.ashx

Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action with the enemy on 3 February 1942, near Bagac, Province of Bataan, Philippine Islands. When the rifle platoon of another company was ordered to wipe out 2 strong enemy machinegun nests, 1st Lt. Bianchi voluntarily and of his own initiative, advanced with the platoon leading part of the men. When wounded early in the action by 2 bullets through the left hand, he did not stop for first aid but discarded his rifle and began firing a pistol. He located a machinegun nest and personally silenced it with grenades. When wounded the second time by 2 machinegun bullets through the chest muscles, 1st Lt. Bianchi climbed to the top of an American tank, manned its antiaircraft machinegun, and fired into strongly held enemy position until knocked completely off the tank by a third severe wound.

There is  no additional information about Lt Bianchi. The post can be added to. Like this site, register  and post your remarks.  

post script
neither Tom nor I can take credit for the Ancestry.com post. I would like to know more about Lt Bianchi.

WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Re: WILLIBALD CHARLES BIANCHI, 45th inf PS
Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2006, 5:01pm

Sue,

There is some information on Capt Bianchi on the web site.  Just enter his name on your seach engine and you should get several pages of stuff.  The 1st page has most of the 'meat' and the other pages are repetitious.  His school, South Dakota State Universtiy has a monument.  Our Congress read about his exploits, September 27, 2000.  Of course Ancestry.com has his WW II Prisoners of War, 1941-1946 record, and US Verterans Cemeteries Record (1800 - 2006)

His biographical information will be on the 1st page your search engine brings up.  Lots of Good Stuff.

Regards,

Tom McGeeney    ord510@cox.net

Tom
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #2 - Dec 25th, 2006, 10:50pm

Willibald C. Bianchi was one of three Philippine Scouts to be awarded a Medal of Honor, the nation's highest decoration for gallantry in action, for combat heroism during the defense of Bataan in WWII.  Sadly, while surviving combat wounds, the Bataan Death March and more than two years in a POW camp, Capt. Bianchi  died when the unmarked  Japanese "Hell Ship" transporting him to a slave labor camp outside of the Philippines was sunk by an American dive bomber in December 1944.  A one-page history entitled "Philippine Scout Heroes of World War II: Willibald C. Bianchi" by John A. Patterson is available on page 11 of the Summer 2002 issue of the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society newsletter.  This newsletter can be downloaded from our website.  Editor

« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2007, 7:56am by Editor-at-Large »  

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
jimdaly
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2007, 9:53am

Lt. Bianchi and my Dad, Lt. James Walter Daly, were good friends and were assigned to Headquarters. They both wanted to go out on patrols, and the Colonel orderd them to take turns as he did not want to lose both of them at once.
Lt. Bianchi lived to learn that hge had won the Medal of Honor. When he passed thru Bilibid Prison on his ayto the "Hell"ships, my Dad gave him a wool shirt to help hiom stay warm. Lt. Bianchi did not survive the trip.
After Dad returned home, he participated in a memorial service for Lt. Bianchi in New Ulm, MN.

IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Re: was  BIANCHI now DALY
Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2007, 3:23pm

Jim Daly, son of  James Walter Daly,  I think I know of your dad.  Is your father living?
Do all of these things look "right"?
Your father was on Bataan(?)
Your father was at Field hospital #2 (?)
Your father was at FH#2 at the fall of Bata'an (?)
Your father was liberated from Old Bilibid (?)
Your father was a friend of Capt John B Smith
Your father was a friend of Lt Frankie Lewey (my mother)
Your father said this about events in the early evening of Saturday, Feb 3, 1945, (as the battle at Far Eastern University, on Quezon Blvd and directly across from the entrance of Old Bilibid, was raging, and another battle was taking place on Oroquieta immediately behind Old Bilibid where the POWs could have seen it) that the machine guns had been brought in from the roof, the POWS were standing still and silent, and the Japanese were pointing the machine guns at them.

The 1st Cav Div reported seeing no machine guns atop Old Bilibid. Civiliian POWs who were housed  on the other side of Bilibid (Quezon side) stated the machine guns were taken back to the roof (not yet confirmed)

WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
jimdaly
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2007, 12:58pm

I can verify most of your info. My Dad said that he told a friend that they should take their mattresses and sleep on the floor as far back as possible because the machine guns were pointing at the prisoners. Dad did so, and when they awoke the next morning, the guards and machine guns were gone.
My Dad passed away in January,1985.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print