Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Robert F. Jones, PFC, from Alabama, USA, 1944-1947 (Read 2616 times)
HoganMel
YaBB Newbies

USA
Robert F. Jones, PFC, from Alabama, USA, 1944-1947
Dec 06th, 2006, 7:28pm

I maybe in the wrong place, but I have had so little to go on, that I am willing to chance it.  My grandfather, Robert F. Jones, was inducted in the Army in August of 1944 and arrived in the Luzon in May of 1945, and was discharged from Camp Shelby, Mississippi, in February 1947.

After three years of trying to get anything from the NPRC in St. Louis, I finally received a "Certificate of Military Service".  The certificate references Army Serial No:  44 030 721.  

The NARA WW2 merged file database taken from the old punch cards gives the following under "Source of Army Personnel" - Enlisted Man, Philippine Scout or recall to AD of an enlisted man who had been transferred to the ERC.

From speaking to him prior to his death I do know that he was a gunner - according to him he went from 3rd gunner to 1st gunner in one week due to "attrition" . . . I would like to find his unit and possibly anyone who knew him there.  He also spoke of how the Japanese soldiers would hide in the trees and how he still was a bit uneasy when a breeze made the trees sway . . . and of how after the surrender the men entertained themselves by boxing . . . and of the surrender itself by the Japanese soilders.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks so much,

Melissa Hogan
Birmingham, Alabama

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Re: Robert F. Jones, PFC, from Alabama, USA, 1944-
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2006, 10:32pm

Melissa,

Great to hear from you, while I wasn't in WW II I have a lot of books on this period.  I am looking at your grandfather's service record, from aad of the National Archives web site.  You probably have the same information I do.  It doesn't list his unit but it does give other information.  There is a similiarity with your grandfather's record and Filipino soldiers who were in the New Philppine Scouts.  That is it list a post WW II enlistment.  Your grandfather enlisted in the Philippine Scouts on November 1, 1945, and while his resident state is Alabama, he enlisted in Whitefish, Montana.  Like some Filipinos who had the same entry, yet never left the Philippines in their life.

Maybe someone out there can add more to this, where Montana is listed as place of enlistment and all the enlisting takes place in the Philippines.  Sorry I don't have anymore, but maybe someone reading this can add to this.

All the best.

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
HoganMel
YaBB Newbies

USA
Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2006, 11:20am

Tom

Thanks for the reply.  You have gotten me to thinking . . . I know from the war diary certificate my grandfather had where he was inducted, trained and stationed prior to and after the Phillipines . . . that enlistment date in 1945 has bugged me because I knew that he actually enlisted in Aug of 1944 . . . I had discounted the AAD record for a while thinking it couldn't have been him . . .but the NPRC says it is him . . . so maybe he went over there in a particular unit but was transferred to the Scouts AFTER the end of the war?  Is there a listing of the Post War Scouts anywhere I wonder?

Thanks again,

Melissa

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2006, 11:48am

Melissa,

Got the Message.  For some reason they were "padding" the roles of the new Philippine Scouts.  That is, they were enlisting members after WW II was over.  That would give an enlistment date after the surrender and these soldiers fought to achieve the surrender.  So I am baffled.  And the place of enlistment is either Montana or Nevada, most often Montana.  In the case of the Filipinos, some never left the Philippines.

Maybe Col Olson (Ret) who was in the Scouts during WW II can shed some light.  I think it all has to do with agmenting the strenght of the Scouts after WW II so they could do occupation duty in Japanese home lands.  But as far as I know, no Scouts did occupation in Japan proper, where Tokyo is.  They did go to Okinawa.  And when the Philippines got their Independence they started retiring them.  Some continued their service in the US Army and retired but by the 1950's most of these new Scouts were no more.  I guess they did put some American soldiers in these New Scouts, as evidence by your grandfather and I have run across other American soldiers enlisted after WW II in these new  scouts.

Regards,

Tom McGeeney    ord510@cox.net

Tom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print