Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bolos and bolo training (Read 16834 times)
grasso
YaBB Newbies

bolos and bolo training
Nov 10th, 2006, 7:56pm

members, my name is ralph grasso, i am a writer, researcher and guro in filipino martial arts[ arnis de mano and eskrima] . i have been looking for the following info fo years. 1] what type of bolo was used by the filipino scouts? 2] was it issued by the u.s.a. forces? 3] was it always the same bolo? shape3] malapads, matulis----can anyone describe the bolo training , the bolo drill , can anyone describe it? is it on tape anywhere? please help, i have been searching for a long time---thanks , ralph

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Re: bolos and bolo training
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2006, 11:05am

Ralph,

There was a program, History channel I believe, that concerned the Liberation of the Philippines.  I forget the title but believe it was on the History Channel.   Anyone out there help me.

Duriing this program it shows a "bolo" issued by the US Army for use by Filipino soldiers being trained here in the US.  I believe it was the 1st and 2nd Regiments and it was 1942.  It was in California and in 1943 Gen Whitney came from Australia and took some of them back th Australia to be sent into the Philippines ahead of the invading forces.  They were coast watchers and such.

This Program showed the Bolo and the Filipino troops that were to use it.

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
victor
YaBB Administrator

PA
Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2006, 11:49pm

The 26th Cavalry scouts may have used the bolo in this photo. I believe machine gun section troopers were issued bolos:

Click for bigger

They could also have been issued this 1917 Bolo:

IP Logged
grasso
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2006, 8:24am

dear victor, that is an "american bolo" [ i have one} called a plumb. i do not think that it was issued to filipino scouts [ however i could be wrong] i think they used a local bolo [ possibly one called a " bonifacio" ] i am sure we can eventually find this out, i saw a film, called bolo battalion, but the film was muddy , i could not make out the bolo or the 6 count drill the men were using the drill looked like saber "box drill" instead of filipino kaboroan or largo mano method---please can more people help with this research?--ralph g.

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2006, 4:25pm

Concerning my entry on the Bolo, that movie about Bolo use and training is on a DVD.  You order it at:   sonnyizon@aol.com.

"An Untold Triumph", the story of the 1st & 2nd Filipino Infantry Regiments, US Army.  I got a flyer that shows a FAX number and physical address, along with a price breadkdown and the email address.  There might be arrangements to get this info out to this web site.  I only make mention because this DVD is where I saw the 2 Filipino Regiments being trained with the Bolo (US Issue).

Regards

Tom      

Tom
  IP Logged
grasso
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2006, 9:37am

tom, let us know--ralph g.

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #6 - Nov 15th, 2006, 9:55am

Ralph,

Here is the address to order "An Untold Triumph, the Story of the 1st & 2nd Filipino Infantry Regiments, US Army" on 1 DVD, $39.95 plus shipping.

ICP, Incorp
4316 Hamilton St
Hyattsville, MD 20781
(301) 864-6333

I have an order form that lists discounts and shipping costs so maybe contacting this email address will get you this order form:   sonnyizon@aol.com

Regards,

Tom

PS Mike Houlahan emailed me this info.

Tom
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2006, 10:14am

The US Army had 5 types of bolos which were issued.  The first was a bolo bayonet for the M-1898 Krag-Jorgensen rifles.  Supposedly only fifty were made.  There was the M-1909 Bolo with a 14” blade and an M1910 bolo with a 10-1/4” blade.  There was a Model 1915 Bolo Bayonet (enclosed in an image of 2 Moro scouts with the M1915 Bayonet).  During the Second World War, bolos made by the US Spring and Bumper Company of Los Angeles, CA were sent into the Philippines for use by the guerillas.  

I have enclosed a photo of Philippine Scouts at “bolo training.”  The photo was probably taken before 1910 as the Scouts are armed with the Krag carbine and their hats are creased fore-and-aft.  The bolo they are using does not look like any of the government-issued bolos described above.

John Manguso

Fort Sam Houston Museum

John Manguso is the museum director.  Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #8 - Nov 16th, 2006, 10:25am

I believe that there was no training for using the bolo. On the part of the Phil Scouts who were using long knives, they were trained to use the knives for fix-bayonets. They were issued by the US Army together with their canteen, belt, boots etc, before and during the war.

Pls do not equate the bolo from the military knives. The bolomen were only paramilitary arms or spies of the guerillas in the hills. They were called bolomen because they did not have arms but with household or farming bolos and pointed lances carved out of their fashion and creativity.

There are no known training for using the bolos.

Thank you. I hope it gave you some insights.

Lucky Guillermo

Those interested in the bolomen mentioned above should read Bolomen: Stories of the Civilian Resistance in Wartime Ilocosby Dominador Javellana III, printed in 2003 by InterFormat AV Manila (www.avmanila.com).  Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
victor
YaBB Administrator

PA
Reply #9 - Nov 16th, 2006, 10:33am

For whatever this is worth, here are some photos of the bolo bayonet (1915?)

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #10 - Nov 17th, 2006, 3:54pm

More Information on Bolos can be gotten by entering "Military Bolos " on your search engine and a page of listings is available.  Some on ebay where Bolos are for sale with pictures.

Also, there is information on military bolos there, too.

Tom McGeeney    ord510@cox.net

Tom
  IP Logged
grasso
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - Nov 17th, 2006, 10:29pm

gents, there is a pic in our photo section showing bolo drill, letme be more specific, does any historian on this board know if the bolo in that photo was issued to scouts, who taught the bolo drill and a close up of that bolo----i have many bolos , i needed this specific info--ralph g

IP Logged
grasso
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - Nov 17th, 2006, 10:30pm

lucky, no such website--ralphg

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print