Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LTC Edward Clement Mack of 57th Inf (Read 2917 times)
Skip91CAC
YaBB Newbies

LTC Edward Clement Mack of 57th Inf
Jul 11th, 2006, 10:29pm

Attention: Jack Boyt and Mike Houlahan

My name is "Skip "Tyler, class '59 . I received an email thru my class network asking for information on LTC Mack, 57 Inf (PS),  class'25 who died a POW in Fukuoka Japan. I have no information on LTC Mack but my father, Major Erven C Somerville ,class "32, also died a POW at Fukuoka Camp 22 on 11 February 1945 and his West Point ring was not recovered. My Dad was in the 91s tCoast Artillery (PS) and was captured on Corregidor.

Is it possible the other ring you mentioned you had recovered from a former POW was from the class of 1932? I know it's a long shot but perhaps it might have been my father's.

I can provide you much more information on my Father if you think there might be a connection.  Thanks for what you are doing.

Erven Somerville Tyler

IP Logged
jtboyt
YaBB Newbies

Re: LTC Edward Clement Mack of 57th Inf
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2006, 2:21pm

Skip -

Sorry to be late in replying - but the post on LTC Mack was in another section of this site.

The other ring belonged to Howard Marshall Batson, Jr from USMA Class of 1934. It was definitely a '34 ring and in this case several letters of the engraving were still legible (about 6, in all) - and they matched up exactly. In addition, the Tiffany & Co. records we found show a sale of an 8 1/2 sized ring with an opal stone to H.M. Batson - and these match exactly.

Sorry I could not help out with your Dad's ring - but would be happy to stay in touch - and hear what you found out about your Dad.

Cheers - Jack Boyt

IP Logged
jerickson
YaBB Newbies

Re: LTC Edward Clement Mack of 57th Inf
Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2006, 2:50pm

Skip,

Your father, Major Erven C Somerville, died at camp Fukuoka #3 on 11 Feb 1945.  His death was recorded by Arthur C. Peterson.  Peterson's testimony is available at http://www.hellshipsmemorial.org/tribute/Peterson.htm  .  No Americans died at Fukuoka #22.  A number are recorded as having died there, but all of them actually perished at the "Moji Hospital" which was actually Kokura Military (or Army) Hospital in Kokura city.

You can find rosters of all the men from the Oryoku Maru voyage who survived long enough to reach a POW camp or "hospital" in Japan at:
http://people.tamu.edu/~jwerickson/POW/OMrosterguide.html

The only other things I can add, are that your Dad's place on the Oryoku Maru roster would have placed him in the rear hold of the Oryoku Maru and that he would almost certainly have been aboard the Enoura Maru on the Lingaygen Gulf to Takao, Formosa, segment of the journey.

Best regards,
Jim Erickson

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print