Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
LTC Edward Clement Mack, 57th Inf.(PS) (Read 11688 times)
Raleigh
YaBB Newbies

San Antonio, Texas
Re: LTC Edward Clement Mack, 57th Inf.(PS)
Reply #20 - Jan 11th, 2007, 2:30pm

Tom,
   My mother sees him fairly often, will have her ask.  Have you asked COL Olson?  I believe COL Olson and COL Yeager were all together, most likely the same ship as well....believe it was the Oryoku Maru.  The Japanese POW List serve website maintained by John Lewis may be able to help as it is very informative website.

regards,
Raleigh

WWW   IP Logged
jerickson
YaBB Newbies

Reply #21 - Jan 11th, 2007, 4:11pm

Col. Olson went to Japan in Nov 1942 on Nagato Maru.  I suspect Col. Yeager did as well.  Yeager was liberated from Rokurushi and many of the Americans from the Philippines who were at Rokurushi came to Japan on Nagato Maru.

Best regards,

Jim Erickson

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #22 - Jan 11th, 2007, 7:46pm

Raleigh & Jim,

I'll run Lt Neil F Hoyt by Col Olson, too.  I am in contact with him at the moment concerning those executions of STIC personnel.  Not those American servicemen that were "hiding out" but those 3 separate groups that were caught.  I believe Chick Parsons" mother in law was in the group of 3 women that were taken out.

Also, in William Berry's "Prisoner of the Rising Sun", the author makes mention of a US Naval officer he came over to the Manila with  ( both were being sent to Manila in Nov '41 right  out of college), but when the Japs are entering Manila and Leland Chase, the officer in question, says he is gong to take off his uniform and resign his commission.  The author, William Berry, says he survives the war and returns on a ship to California.

I researched it all and it is true.  Leland P. Chase has a Prisoner card stating he is a civilian.  Lou Gopal can't find him in the roster of STIC.  Ancestry.com gives me all the facts.  Leland is born in the US but his family also is in Manila, all Filipinos.  His father is a corporate attorney(from the 1930 census)so he probably tells the son if a war starts, resign your commission and hide out with our family there.  The family were all Filipino so no internment.  Not knowing all the facts is why I am putting it here, maybe there is more.  Any Help ???

Tom McGeeney     ord510@cox.net

Tom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print