Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
LTC Edward Clement Mack, 57th Inf.(PS) (Read 13902 times)
jtboyt
YaBB Newbies

LTC Edward Clement Mack, 57th Inf.(PS)
Jun 30th, 2006, 9:11pm

Would like to know any info on LTC Edward Clement Mack of 57th Inf (according to West Point records) who died in Fukuoka POW camp.

He was West Point Class of 1925 - and I think I have located his West Point ring - that may have been taken from him in the POW camp after his death.

I am also a graduate of West Point (1967) and have been working for some time to identify this ring (as well as one other -both had engraved names filed off) that was in the effects of another Fukuoka POW who recently passed away.

Any info most welcome - as I am interested in locating surviving family members to give ring to.

Cheers - Jack Boyt

« Last Edit: Sep 08th, 2006, 6:04am by Editor-at-Large »  
  IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Re: LTC Edward Clement Mack
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2006, 12:18am

Jack,

You probably know this, but all I could get from Veterans site is dates of Birth and Death and they intered him at Ft Leavenworth in 1949.  While they have records available on Veterans buried after a certain date before that date hasn't been done.

I really don't know what I could have found from burial data, but you know when you are stumped you can get the answers in the strangest of places.

Regards,

Tom (ord510)

Tom
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2006, 3:18pm

The following was contributed by Col. J.M. Fitzgerald, author of "Family in Crisis: The United States, the Philippines and the Second World War".  Editor

LTC E.C. Mack was seconded by the 57th to the 21st PA Division. His performance is covered by Whitman in Bataan-Our Last Ditch and in the Morton Collection at the USAHI under the reports by BG Mateo Capinpin. The division was overrun in the last three days of the defense when Mack was captured. He made the death march and was shipped from Cabanatuan where he survived the death ship movement only to die in PW camp in Fukuoka Japan. Jack Fitzgerald x56

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2006, 6:04pm

Jack,

I checked US Veterans Cemeteries, ca.1800-2004 Record, and Edward Clement Mack in buried in Ft Leavenworth Cemetery.  Intered 18 FEb 1949.  Since they would probably have the records on Nex of Kin I pursued them.  It seems that after a certain date that information is available; however, before that date it takes time.  Since our 1949 might take a little time I contacted Sen McCain's office and sent a letter requesting the next of kin of Edward Clement Mack.

I sent him a copy of your original request on this sight and told him any informatin that his office obtains should be communicated to you as you have the ring.

Forgive me for bing presumptious but the burial records would have any next of kin and I figured using two avenues of approach to get the next of kin is better than just one.

Regards,

Tom

Tom
  IP Logged
jtboyt
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2006, 4:41pm

Thanks to all. Am also awaiting info from Association of Graduates,USMA - who have been quite helpful through all this.

Will check out references cited - it is turns out I already have many them, having spent time researching death and likely location of remains of my maternal grandfather, Colonel Loren Prescott Stewart, 51st Inf (PA) - killed nite of Jan 12-13, '42 - vic Hacienda Abucay - when Japanese breached 51st' lines.

Thanks, again - and will update this site if more info forthcoming.

Cheers - Jack Boyt

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2006, 10:21am

The following comment was contributed by Col. John E. Olson, whose book Anywhere-Anytime is a History of the 57th Infantry (PS) which includes many maps, rosters and pictures. It can be ordered from the author for $17.00, includes postage.  His address is John E. Olson,
The Towers, #510 Parklane, San Antonio, TX 78209

Col. Olson was an officer with the 57th Infantry (PS) during WWII.

Editor

I knew Eddie well as he was in my regiment, I have a copy of Regimental Officers, 1940 and 1941.  But I was not on the same Cattle boat as he.  Any relative who might wish my 57th history I'll be glad to oblige.  JEO

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
jtboyt
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2006, 9:07pm

Have mailed out an order for Col. Olsen's book today.

And have found that E.C. Mack had a son, John Mack, who graduated from West Point Class of '61 - but contact info provided for John Mack is out of date (wrong phone number and e-mail).

Anyone from 57th and/or at Fukuoka #3 that I could contact for more backgound or other info?

Cheers - Jack Boyt

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2006, 6:36am

Classmates:

John Patterson asked that I forward this to you in case you have any information on LTC Edward Clement Mack of  57th Inf (PS) - Class of 1925.  If so please place it on the message board at Click here: Philippine Scouts Heritage Society.

Mike Houlahan & Jack Boyt: There is a ring recovery program that can be contacted at  
usmarings@west-point.org and may help in finding family members.

Jim Walsh

Jim Walsh is a USMA graduate in the Class of 1959.  Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
jtboyt
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2006, 4:48pm

Thanks to all for assistance.

The West Point ring recovery group was contacted early - and continue to be key to our efforts with these rings.

USMA Class of '61 guys have notified me that they think they can locate current info on John Mack

Cheers - Jack Boyt

IP Logged
jtboyt
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2006, 8:46pm

As an update - John Mack - son of E.C. Mack contacted me by phone today and we have sent him his Dad's ring by overnight delivery.

Thanks to all for help and encouragement.

Cheers - Jack Boyt

IP Logged
Chris_Schaefer
YaBB Administrator

Texas
Reply #10 - Jul 23rd, 2006, 7:54pm

Just a note on Col. Mack:  Margaret Utinsky mentions him in her book, "Miss U," as one of her smuggling contacts inside Cabanatuan.  See pages 63-64 and 76.  According to her book, Col. Mack was code-named "Liver," and he made a roster of men in the camp which he sent out to her.

Captain Paul Ashton also mentions Col. Mack in his book, "Bataan Diary," pages 384-386 and 397.  He indicates that when the Japanese discovered the smuggling operation they arrested Col. Mack and Paul D. Rogers and put them in solitary confinement for four months.  Rogers died on one of the "hell ships," Col. Mack in Japan.

WWW   IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #11 - Aug 27th, 2006, 7:17am

The following fourteen 57th Infantry (PS) veterans are thought to be alive still:

John Benson, [A Co.], San Francisco, CA
Justiniano B. Benton, A Co., Malabon City, Philippines
Mariano Cauilan, [Service Co.] Pleasant Hill, CA
William Penalosa Cazar, [F Co.], Ormoc City, Philippines
Primitivo Alcala Cuenca, [HQ Co.], Vallejo, CA
Sgt. Maj. Vic dela Cruz, Marina, CA
Romy Entac, [G Co.], Machine Gun Platoon,] Lennox, CA
Capt. Nick Golla, [E Co.], Seattle, WA
Domindor Guevara, [Anti-Tank Co.], Morton Grove, IL
Cpl. Agustin O. Lacao, [I Co.], Seattle, WA
Col. John E. Olson, San Antonio, TX
Major Urbano Quijance, [B Co., SD w/ S-3, Regtl. Hqtrs], Seattle, WA
MSgt. Alfredo Quijano, San Antonio, TX
Sgt. Joe Taton, Sr., [HQ Co.], Seattle, WA

Editor

« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2007, 9:14am by Editor-at-Large »  

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Raleigh
YaBB Newbies

San Antonio, Texas
Re: LTC Edward Clement Mack, 57th Inf.(PS)
Reply #12 - Jan 1st, 2007, 5:03pm

I am glad to see the ring made it home.  I would also like to add a name to the known 57th IN (PS) survivor list;
COL Frederick Yeager, Wilmington, NC

WWW   IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #13 - Jan 1st, 2007, 7:14pm

Went to get the WW II record on the internet for Col Yeager but there wasn't any.  "Ancester.com and aad" didn't have one.  Which doesn't mean he didn't serve as I have run into this before.  However,  in Col Olsen's History of the 57th "Anywhere-Anytime" there is F. J. Yeager in the photo, all 6 1/2 feet of him in the last row.    Hard to hide that.

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
jerickson
YaBB Newbies

Reply #14 - Jan 2nd, 2007, 3:40pm

You can find information about Col. Frederick Yeager on two aad databases.  The standard one:

Records of World War II Prisoners of War, created, 1942 - 1947, documenting the period 12/7/1941 - 11/19/1946 - Record Group 389

and the newer

World War II Prisoners of the Japanese Data File, created, 4/2005 - 2/2006, documenting the period ca. 1941 - ca. 1945 - Collection ADBC

both available at:
http://aad.archives.gov/aad/series-list.jsp?cat=all

The second set of records includes unit information for about 21,000 POWs of the Japanese.  The records were assembled by members of the ADBC descendant's group under the direction of John Lewis from ADBC membership records and numerous other sources.

A Happy New Year to all,

Jim Erickson

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #15 - Jan 4th, 2007, 9:30pm

Jim,

I tried those references you have listed and only got a Frederick M Yeager, a corporal, I think.  Today I went to the references you have and got the same thing.  I must be doing something wrong, that is the reason I am making this entry.  Help!!

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
jerickson
YaBB Newbies

Reply #16 - Jan 5th, 2007, 1:49pm

Tom,

Perhaps you typed Yeager Fred in the search rather than the full Frederick?  The AAD search engines require an exact match unless you put a wildcard character in the search.  For a first round search, I usually try something like Yeager F*.  If it returns too many records, I increase the specificity of the search.  I also go right to the advanced fielded search page.  If you use the general search, the F* will pick any catagory with an f in it.

Good luck.

Jim

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #17 - Jan 5th, 2007, 5:44pm

Jim,

I have to go back to spelling class.  I left the second 'e' out of Frederick.  We got the records this time.  Thanks, for causing me to take a 2nd look at my spelling.

Regards,

Tom

Tom
  IP Logged
Raleigh
YaBB Newbies

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #18 - Jan 9th, 2007, 5:35pm

Tom,
    Are you looking for any specific information on COL Yeager?  I may be able to help...my family is in contact with him.

v/r
Raleigh

WWW   IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #19 - Jan 9th, 2007, 8:55pm

Raleigh,

Hi, in answer to getting in touch with Col Yeager, I don't have any particualr questions at this time.  On Jan 1, 2007 when you added him to the list of living PS I went and checked out the govertnment records, aad, NARA.  But I had his name misspelled and had to add the 2nd e.  I was just checking his records to have something to do.  That was when I went to Col Olson's book "Anywhere-
Anytime". and saw his picture, all 6 1/2 ft of him.

There is a slight chance that Col Yeager knows about a Quartermaster Lt, who went from the Port of Manila to Corregidor and then Cabanatuan.  Maybe Col Yeager met him during captivity.  His name was Lt Neil F. Hoyt and he was in the 12th Quartermaster Reg (PS), which was part of the Philippine Division.  They were making the Reg a Battalion when war broke out.  There was one Battalion (Comapny) at the Port of Manila and that is where Lt Hoyt had duty as he came home one night with his arms and hands scrapped and burnt and he told his wife and daughter that it happened sliding down a rope from a boat.  So he had duty in the Port and probably never met Col Yeager until they all got to Cabanutuan.  He had just returned to Manila after being sent to Camp Haan (In California)to go to Quartermaster School and his family had stayed in the Philippines while he went to the States.

He was on the Arisan Maru when it sunk on October 24, 1944 and didn't survive.  I know there is a slim chance that Col Yeager even met 1st Lt Neil F Hoyt.  Lt Hoyt's wife and daughter were with him im Manila and later they were interred at Santo Tomas.  They received 2 cards from him while he was in Cabanatuan.

I know there is the slimest of chances that these two officers ever met, but that is what we work with.  The one feature is Lt Hoyt's wife and daughter were at Santo Tomas while he was at Cabanatuan and maybe Col Yeager can remember that if he met Lt Hoyt.

Appreciate you help.

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print