Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Troop A, 26th Cavalry (Read 11546 times)
BeccaMM23
YaBB Newbies

Troop A, 26th Cavalry
Jun 19th, 2006, 12:24pm

My grandfather Arcadio Mabanglo was a member of the 26th Cavalry (PS), Troop A.

I'm looking for any information on the Troop's role during the withdrawal of US/Philippine Troops and how many survived the final battle to be in the Bataan Death March.

Also, I'm hoping to connect with other descendents of his unit to swap information. My grandfather was able to escape during the first few days of the March and had a 30 year career in the US Army. I'm hoping to tell his story to others and work with local Filipino WWII vets on preserving their oral history.

Thanks in advance!

Becca

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Re: Troop A, 26th Cavalry
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2006, 1:33pm

Becca,

Major Arthur Kendal Whitehead has an interesting book out, "Odessey Of A Philippine Scout".  He was in command of Troop A when the war statred, however most of the book is after he got separated from his command and in trying to reach it, the Odessey.  He ends up sailing to Austratlia but there are some pages of him in command.  Maybe there might be something pertaining to grandfather.  I just finished my copy and looked but there is no appendix to look up names with.

He gets separated before getting into the Bataan Penninsula.  They had a battle with the Japs and when the smoke cleared Maj Whitehead and some Scouts were alone.  They worked their way down ending up east of Manila with the idea of "hooking over" into Bataan.  But that wasn't  to be.  He meets others and they end up on Mindoro.  And the Odessey begins.

You might find the short time he was with Troop A helpful, maybe get some more names of Scouts.

Regards,

Tom

Tom
  IP Logged
BeccaMM23
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2006, 9:02pm

Thank you Tom!

That's just the sort of information that I need. I didn't even know the name of his commanding officer until you wrote. I'll be sure to look up the book as soon as I can.

Have a happy 4th!

IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2006, 6:32am

Hi Becca - you are about 90 miles north of me - Sue (King Co, north and east of Seattle)

I hope these can be of use to you.

These are public information from NARA.
I used Ancestry's databases because they are faster and easier than NARA's.

World War II Prisoners of War, 1941-1946 Record
Name: Arcadio Mabanglo
Race: Filipino  
Residence State: R3  
Report Date: 7 May 1942
Latest Report Date: Mar 1945
Grade: Private First Class  
Grade Notes: Second Lieutenant or Nurse or Dietitian or Physical therapy aide or Private First Class or Ensign or Second Class, Seaman  
Service Branch: Army  
Arm or Service: Cavalry  
Arm or Service Code: Cavalry  
Area Served: Southwest Pacific Theatre: Philippine Islands  
Detaining Country: Japan  
Camp: Philippines Unstated Philippines 14-121  
Status: Returned to Military Control, Liberated or Repatriated  

U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946 Record
Name: Arcadio Mabanglo
Birth Year: 1909  
Race: Filipino, citizen  
Enlistment Date: 7 Oct 1940
Branch: Cavalry  
Branch Code: Cavalry  
Grade: Private  
Grade Code: Private  
Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for Hawaiian Department  
Component: Philippine Scouts (Officers and Enlisted Men)  
Source: Enlisted Man, Regular Army, within 3 months of Discharge or former WAAC Auxiliary  
Education: 1 year of high school  
Civil Occupation: Carpenter, Ship  
Marital Status: Married  
Height: 67  
Weight: 119  

WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
BeccaMM23
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2006, 12:43pm

Hi Sue!

Thanks for the information. I'd seen the second entry before - I'm still trying to figure out why "Carpenter, Ship" is listed as his previous occupation - as far as my mother remembers he was a student, bus conductor, and janitor prior to signing up in 1931.  Smiley

Thankfully I have all his discharge papers since 1934, though I hope to find his first recruitment paperwork eventually. It's possible that he'd wanted to be a ship's carpenter, but then was put into cavalry...hard to say.

I hadn't come across the POW record, though - his 1946 discharge papers say

"Never a Japanese POW. Reported to Military Control 7 March 1945..."

However, in 1988, the DoD sent him a letter forwarding his POW medal - so somewhere between 1945-1988 the decision was made he qualified, likely for his participation in the Bataan Death March.

Thanks for this new bit of information!

Please let me know if any one gets together in the Seattle area to meet about the Scouts as I would like to meet other descendents and begin recording their oral histories.

Bec

IP Logged
jonaban
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2007, 9:52pm

Hello becca,
I am a grandson of a philippine scout. By your account, you mentioned that your grandpa was with the cavalry. The only calvary I know the Philippine Scouts have is the 26th Cavalry Div. They were based at Fort stotsenberg military base in Pampanga Philippine prior to the WWII. My grandpa belongs to quartermaster regiment as service group for the cavalry divison. Atleast, this is what my old aunt say. My grandpa died during the war.
Unfortunately, all the papers of my grandpa were lost from a fire at my aunt's house 7 years ago, and so I never get to see it personally.
You are fortunate that you still have all the discharge papers of your grandpa the time he joined in the army.
For references, would it possible to request from you a sample of one of his discarge papers, especially the earlies one.
I would just like to know what informations really appears in a discharge paper.
Hoping to hear from you soon,
sincerely,
jon

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #6 - Jan 15th, 2007, 11:06pm

Jon,

As you are in the Philippines maybe a call to the US Embassy might be helpfull.  At the very least they could tell you who to contact.

The address in St Louis I gave you is where all the service records of all Army Personel are kept, which includes Philippine Scouts.  Maybe the embassy could direct you to a department at St Louis to ask for.  There is a standard form in requesting any material and you can down load it from the internet.  I am trying to think what website had it as I needed to order my records.  Try the Veterans website.

Wish you luck.

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
BeccaMM23
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2007, 12:35am

Hi Jon,

I hope you are still checking this board. My apologies for not getting back to you. I haven't checked this board for many months.

My grandfather was in Troop A, 26th Cavalry and my mother grew up on Fort Stotensberg. I'd be happy to share what information I have with you. Please contact me directly at oakstone3 (at) yahoo (dot) com.

Best Wishes
Rebecca

jonaban wrote on Jan 10th, 2007, 9:52pm:
Hello becca,
I am a grandson of a philippine scout. By your account, you mentioned that your grandpa was with the cavalry. The only calvary I know the Philippine Scouts have is the 26th Cavalry Div. They were based at Fort stotsenberg military base in Pampanga Philippine prior to the WWII. My grandpa belongs to quartermaster regiment as service group for the cavalry divison. Atleast, this is what my old aunt say. My grandpa died during the war.
Unfortunately, all the papers of my grandpa were lost from a fire at my aunt's house 7 years ago, and so I never get to see it personally.
You are fortunate that you still have all the discharge papers of your grandpa the time he joined in the army.
For references, would it possible to request from you a sample of one of his discarge papers, especially the earlies one.
I would just like to know what informations really appears in a discharge paper.
Hoping to hear from you soon,
sincerely,
jon

IP Logged
OlsenPC
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - Sep 4th, 2009, 4:22pm

Hi Becca - another living 26th Scout Company A survivor has been located in the Phil.  See the PinoyKamikaze entry under Scouts, in the Surviving Scouts thread.  His name is Marcelino Ventura and he survived the Death March.

SIncerely
Peter

petrao57   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print