Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Homa Medal (Read 4914 times)
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Homa Medal
Jun 17th, 2006, 11:01am

General Homa had a commemorative medal cast following the surrender of Bataan and distributed that medal to at least some of his officers.  Apparently the medal now is in much demand from collectors, so much so that numerous counterfeits are on the marked.  The authentic medal sells for $2,000 to $3,000.  However, a market even exists for the counterfeits at $200 to $300 apiece.  

According to PSHS member Federico Baldassarre, "We know that Zamora (I believe his first name was Crispolo or something like that), a famous Manila Metallurgist, made some of the medals, but it is unclear whether Zamora made the counterfeits or the real medals.  I would guess Zamora made the real medals, but that is just a guess."

All the above information was contributed by Mr. Baldassarre.  Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Homa Medal
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2006, 3:18pm

It seems what the War Memorial Medal collector told you was true.

The inscription on the one side reads (in Japanese):  “Commemorating the Philippine Expedition 2602 (in Western calendar 1942).”

The inscription on the other side is hard to read because the characters are in calligraphy, but it seems to be a poem written in a classical (1000- year-old) Japanese poem form.  It wrote about the Philippines and its tropical forest.
You may want to send the photos of both sides to http://www.rose.sannet.ne.jp/nishiha/iryuhin/english.htm  for more information.
Sincerely,
Kinue Tokudome
US-Japan Dialogue on POWs, Inc.

The website of the US-Japan Dialogue on Pows, Inc. is at: http://www.us-japandialogueonpows.org/  Editor.

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
3parrots
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2006, 7:07pm

My husband recently found what has been confirmed to be a medal (or counterfeit of the medal) issued by Homma to some of his officers.  The medal was found in Illinois when we were working in our backyard.  It has been an interesting find and it gave me a fast education regarding the history of the Bataan Death March.  I had the pleasure of speaking with Col. Mel Rosen who was kind enough to take my call.  I felt honored to speak with him.  I have also had the pleasure of exchanging e-mails with many interesting people who have been helpful in identifying the medal and giving me background and the history pertaining to it.

IP Logged
Miketredoak
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2006, 12:32pm

Outstanding...You found the Homma Medal presented to his officers in honor of capture of Bataan and Corregidor.The silver one I presume with the palm trees on one side and the japanese soldier on the other?If an original and not a counterfeit,as you know they are quite rare. Fascinating.See Basso's book,"Coins Medals and Tokens of the Philippines." Sure enuff,Crispulo Zamora's Manila firm struck the medals.The 1st three trial pieces in bronze and the rest in silver 36mm.

Mike

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print