Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Narciso Viray 1944, 26th Cavalry (PS) (Read 3487 times)
dinky00062
YaBB Newbies

Narciso Viray 1944, 26th Cavalry (PS)
Jun 11th, 2006, 11:31pm

Hello, I've been working on my family genalogy for the pass 2 years.  My Great Great Grandfather "Narciso Viray" was in the 26th Cavalry Regiment Philippine Scout. He served and went missing in 1944 in the Philippines.  My family doesn't know anything at all about him because he was a very private person. So Now I'm in search of any infomation about him.  He was awarded a Purple Heart Medal and a Sivler Star Medal. I would like to find any infomation of him for my father who carried his last name as his middle name is not in the best of health. I would like to provid him with any information or any photos of him.

« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2007, 7:17pm by Editor-at-Large »  
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Narciso Viray 1944
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2006, 7:43am

A Pvt. (later TechSgt) Braulio Viray was also in the 26th Cavalry (PS).  Might he have been a relative of your great great grandfather?  Capt. Felipe Fernandez, a 26th Cavalry veteran, mentions him in responding to a query about Capt. Buboltz, 26th Cavalry.  

By the end of 1942 almost all Filipino soldiers had been paroled to their home provinces by the Japanese.  Many joined guerrilla groups upon their return.  Given the date your Great Great Grandfather went missing, this may be what he did.

Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2006, 7:50am

The following entry is from Capt. Felipe Fernandez, then a Sgt. in the 26th Cavalry (PS).  Editor

Narciso C. Viray was a Private assigned with Troop A, 26th Cavalry (PS) in 1940.  I don't know very much about him except that he was a Pampango.  Their First Sergeant was Nicolas Mendoza.  Their Troop Clerk was Corporal Teofilo  M. Amutan. Amutan's son was at the last PSHS reunion at  Burlingame.  He had a handful of records left by his father including the General Orders awarding me the Silver Star medal.  He might have information about Pvt Viray.  Unfortunately I don't have the address of Amutan's son however he was in close association with Mr. Tito A. Cortez who was also present during the reunion.  Cortez' address is:  Quest EM Inc.  510 N First Street, Ste. 210, San Jose CA 95112. I hope Toni could get more information about her Great Grandfather, a gallant cavalryman.  - Felipe

Editor's note: A "Pampango" refers to someone from Pampanga Province, north of Manila and adjacent to Bataan, it was one of the centers of guerrilla resistance to the Japanese.

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
LuckysKid
YaBB Newbies

CA
Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2007, 12:04pm

dinky00062

I'm one of Cpl Amutan's grandsons.  I'm guessing my dad attended the Burlingame event.  I have forwarded this thread to him.  Perhaps he'll have information that would be useful in your search.  I know he has several orders (copies from my granddad's personal files).  These wouldn't be other personnel's personal records.  When an award or decoration, like the Silver Star, is presented an order is issued with the names of those receiving the award.  I wish you the best of luck. - Sean

IP Logged
dinky00062
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2007, 9:03pm

Hi Sean, Would you know how I could get intouch with someone who might know of my Great Grandfather?  Maybe an email or maybe you could forward my request about him to anyone.  Thank you for you response.  Maybe your grandfather files may contain some kind of information of this 26th Cavalry. If so would you be so kind to copy and send me a copy?  I'm hopefully greatful for any kind of information. Thank You!

Toni

IP Logged
dinky00062
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2007, 9:08pm

Hello Felipe, I back in June 2006 sent a letter to Mr Cortez.  I have not heard from him regarding any kind of information of My Great Grandfather Narciso Viray.  Would you know of any other way I maybe able to contact him?  Have a nice day.

Toni

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print