Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1st Lt. PRESNELL, JOHN F. JR/14EngBN/PI (Read 7900 times)
ladyrt007
YaBB Newbies

1st Lt. PRESNELL, JOHN F. JR/14EngBN/PI
May 27th, 2006, 10:27pm

PRESNELL, JOHN F. JR
O-2/USA/COE
#O&022890
Last report date 19/01/1945
Died in Ship's Sinking or Result of Ship
(Brazil Maru)Sinking/Southwest
Pacific Theatre: Philippine Islands/
PW Camp #1 - Cabanatuan 1-2-3 Nueva Province Luzon Philippines

Seeking any info on my ancestor.

Thanks,
Renee (Presnell) Rivers
Baytown, TX

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Re: 1st Lt. PRESNELL, JOHN F. JR/14EngBN/PI
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2006, 7:40pm

Hi Renee,

I got some pages of a book by Manny Lawton, "Some Suvived" It lists John Presnell as dying.  You might want to get the book and read Chapter 15, about the Brazil Maru, maybe you can get a name of two of someone to inquire of if they knew a soldier by name opf John Presnell.

Regards,

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
ladyrt007
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - May 29th, 2006, 10:45pm

ord510 wrote on May 29th, 2006, 7:40pm:
Hi Renee,

I got some pages of a book by Manny Lawton, "Some Suvived" It lists John Presnell as dying.  You might want to get the book and read Chapter 15, about the Brazil Maru, maybe you can get a name of two of someone to inquire of if they knew a soldier by name opf John Presnell.

Regards,

Tom McGeeney

Hi Tom,

Can you specify a page number? Glanced through my copy and didn't see a reference to John there.......

R...

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #3 - May 31st, 2006, 10:28am

Renee,

It's in the Appendix, on page 283, "John F. Presnell,Jr with a Portland, ME address.

This is a list of 1,607 American prisoners aboard three Hell Ships.  Of whom less than 400 survived the 47 day journey to Japan.  This list was compiled by 4 survivors for inclusion in the "Oryoku Maru" story in 1982

You might want to check  "The Oryoku Story" for more information.

My copy of Some Survived is a paper back and has 2 Appendixes,  the first one deals with the trial and punishment of the Japs for their involvement in the Hell Ships episode.  The 2nd lists all the prisoners on the 3 Hell Ships.

The three Hell Ships are:

Oryoku Maru
        Enoura Maru
        Brazil; Maru

Regards,

Tom

Tom
  IP Logged
ladyrt007
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2006, 1:37pm

ord510 wrote on May 31st, 2006, 10:28am:
Renee,

It's in the Appendix, on page 283, "John F. Presnell,Jr with a Portland, ME address.

This is a list of 1,607 American prisoners aboard three Hell Ships.  Of whom less than 400 survived the 47 day journey to Japan.  This list was compiled by 4 survivors for inclusion in the "Oryoku Maru" story in 1982

You might want to check  "The Oryoku Story" for more information.

My copy of Some Survived is a paper back and has 2 Appendixes,  the first one deals with the trial and punishment of the Japs for their involvement in the Hell Ships episode.  The 2nd lists all the prisoners on the 3 Hell Ships.

The three Hell Ships are:

Oryoku Maru
        Enoura Maru
        Brazil; Maru

Regards,

Tom

Re-read the book again yesterday (my copy is also paperback). I am going to go through it again today and see if I can pin down the date (19/01/45) the goverment lists as his last report date.
Thanks Tom  Smiley

Renee

IP Logged
jerickson
YaBB Newbies

Re: 1st Lt. PRESNELL, JOHN F. JR/14EngBN/
Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2006, 12:07pm

Rene,

John Presnell's death is specifically mentioned in John Wright's "Captured on Corregidor."  There is confusion as to the date of his death.  Wright says it happend late on the voyage of the Brazil Maru.  Robert Conn, a survivor who kept a contemporary death roster, lists the date as 1/25/45, which was late.  The American Battle Monuments Commission and the Natl Archives record the date as 1/19/45, as does a partial roster prepared by the Japanese.  A 1945 or 46 deposition by Cecil Sanders says he died around the 20th.  In addition, George Weller's 1945 newspaper article reports him as having been shot trying to escape from the Enoura Maru, but that is a case of mistaken identity.  There's really no way to tell, but the weight of evidence would favor the earlier date.

One other detail about the voyages that will become more meaningful as you do more research.  John Presnell almost certainly would have been in the forward hold of the Oryoku Maru as he was part of the subgroup commanded by Lt. Col. Beecher.  Had he lived he would have eventually been sent to Korea along with the other members of that group.

With respect to earlier events, there is one mention of Presnell in Calvin Chunn's "Of Rice and Men"  It says he was one of nine men who worked with Lt. Col FG Saint in the engineering detail that finally helped solve the terrible problems with the latrines and flooded ground at Cabanatuan.

Good luck in your efforts to find out more.
Jim Erickson

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #6 - Jun 12th, 2006, 4:46pm

Renee,

I just remembered something about the same books, there might be a difference between the same published books.  In high school I noticed my copy of "30 Seconds Over Tokyo" was different than the one in the school library.  On checking the publication dates, the High School copy was printed during WW II, when it first came out.  A chapter on the treatment the British Patients and nurses received at the hands of the Japanese Soldiers in Hong Kong.  This was as reported by the Chilean Ambassador in Hong Kong, I believe.
My 1952 printing left this part out.

My paper back of "Some Survived" was copyrighted in 1984 by Marion R. Lawton.  It is a First Warner Books Printing, 1989.  Hope this helps and doesn't confuse.

Regards,

Tom

Tom
  IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2006, 9:08pm

Renee,

A final note, and it might not mean anything.  You mentioned wanting to find out as much as you can and there is another source.  You might already have this information, but on Ancestry.com it has World War II Prinsoners of War, 1941 - 1946 Record.  Here you can print up John F. Presnell, Jr and it will list what statistics they have on him.  They have the 19 Jan 1945 as the Latest Report Date.

Also, you can get World War II and Korean Conflict Veterans Interred Overseas Record on him.  This lists his rank, Combat Organization, 14th Eng., Death Date, 19 Jan 45, Monument at Honolulu, he is missing, and US Awards, Purple Heart, Bronze Star and additional Army Awards.

As you probably know about this I was just making known that Ancestry.com has this on their web site in case you weren't aware or wanted to print up these pages.

Regards,

Tom

Tom
  IP Logged
ladyrt007
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - Dec 25th, 2008, 3:22pm

Well it has been sometime since I visited this forum. I thought to drop a note and let you know what happened to Maj. John "Johnny" Presnell" according to the late Col. Mel Rosen. Mel was kind enough to talk at length with us about Johnny as he referred to him. He apparently knew him quite well and told us he was liked by all who knew him.
Mel told us that Johnny was instrumental in designing a systems of ditches to help the water and waste drain more effective from Camp O'Donnel. This helped to make life a bit better for those interred there.
He said although sick and weak as they all were, Johnny was always trying to find something of the lighter side of life to help other spirits. We guess maybe he had a sense of humor, even amongst all the deplorable conditions and treatment.
Mel also confirmed that Johny died while aboard the Brazil Maru, he was indeed in the forward hold and deathly sick. Other prisoners stole the remnants of what clothing he had on and Johnny froze to death. His body was throw overboard the next day. The time line for his death was two days before the ship docked in Japan.
My family has kept him and his comrades in arms who fought such a valiant fight in our thoughts and prayers.
God bless them all and the families they left behind.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print