Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Guy Nunemaker, 43rd Inf. (PS) (Read 2045 times)
emmitsburg
YaBB Newbies

Guy Nunemaker, 43rd Inf. (PS)
May 5th, 2006, 11:26am

Hello to all,

I am the Vice President of the Emmitsburg Historical Society in Maryland. My latest project that I have been assigned is to gather information about the men from our community that enlisted with the Armed Forces during the Spanish American War. I came across an article published in the Gettysburg Newspaper dated August 19, 1943. It was about Guy Nunemaker.

To sum up what the article it read "Mr. Nunemaker, a Spanish-American war veteran, was one of the first commanders of the native constabulary from which the famed Philippine Scouts and later the modern Filipino army, which went down so bravely with American troops under General Wainwright at Bataan and Corregidor, was formed. The Emmitsburg correspondent enlisted in the 43rd Infantry at Washington in 1898 when he was 19."

"He sailed from New York on the government transport Meade and arrived in Manila 45 days later after a trip that extended past Gibraltar, Malta. Port Said, Aden. Arabia and Singapore. He served on the islands of Luzon. Samar, Layte, Bohole and on expeditions into the Moro country. He was in a detachment which gave guard protection to the father of  General Douglas MacArthur when he made an inspection trip to the outlying posts in the southern islands."

"Mr. Nunemaker, then a corporal, drilled the first constabulary on the island of Layte. At the time he was drilling the native constabulary other Filipinos were engaged in fighting American troops."

Does anyone have more information about this? Time period is 1898-1900. This is all the refrance we have about this subject  

« Last Edit: Sep 08th, 2006, 6:09am by Editor-at-Large »  
  IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Re: Guy Nunemaker
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2006, 1:38pm

On Guy Nunemaker,
I searched Ancestry.com and came up with a census for 1900.  Where he was a 22 year old Pvt on Laguan and that was all.  Which you already knew.  The next census saw him at home in Maryland.

Since all this happened at the turn of the century there won't be any surviving soldiers that served with him.  Libraries and history dept. of this web site could have the written material you seek.

Regards,

Tom

Tom
  IP Logged
emmitsburg
YaBB Newbies

Re: Guy Nunemaker
Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2006, 10:16pm

Thanks for the relpy. I think I have all the information I can get on Guy, unless one of his family members contacts us and tell us his story.

Thank you again

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print