Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
COL Jose Emilio Olivares Aldeguer (Read 7789 times)
EC Olivares
YaBB Newbies

Monroe, VA
COL Jose Emilio Olivares Aldeguer
Apr 22nd, 2006, 5:59pm

Hello to all former Philippine Scouts. I salute you and thank you for the service you performed in WWII. I am brand new to this site. My father was Jose Emilio Olivares, US Naval Academy 1923, and commissioned in the Philippine Scouts, Coast Artillery Branch.
During his career in the Scouts he served as PMS&T at University of the Philippines as well as in some capacity at the Philippine Miltary Academy. He told us that he had been on staff at PMA when Marcos was a cadet.

Dad spent 14 months in a Japanese prison after being arrested by the Kempitai. He suffered starvation, beatings , and disease. He was released on parole to my Mother to die, with pneumonia, amoebuic dysentery, and nervous breakdown. He recovered through the tender care of my Mother and the help of "Pus Pas" the equivalent of Jewish Penicilin in the Philippines, that is, chicken soup with rice. After the liberation Dad was given command of the 2d MP Battalion (PS) for policing duties in Manila.

Dad received hi US citizenship and intergated into the US Army about two weeks before the 4th of July 1945, when the Philippines officially became an independent nation.

In 1948, Dad was assigned to the Coast Artillery Post at Ft. Williams, ME, as Executive Officer under COL "Hap" Goeppert, and subsequently became CO for the shutdown of the Fort, turning the base over to the USAF for use as a radar station.

When CAC was disbanded in 1950, Dad elected to go Air Defense and was sent to the Missile Defense School at Ft. Bliss, TX. After graduation from the Senior Officer's Course, he was assigne as XO for the First GM Brigade at Ft. Bliss. He served in various positions at Ft. Bliss including Chairman of the OCS Board, until his retirement with 30 years' service in August of 1953.

Dad subsequently worked as insurance salesman for Lincoln Mutual, until he earned his teaching certificate in California on a Ford Foundation grant, in 1956. He then worked as a High School Teacher of Mathematics until his 70th birthday, then as a substitute HS teacher until he passed away from a stroke in August 1970, at the age of 73 years. He was interred at the VA Cemetery (Sawtelle) in Los Angeles, CA, adjacent ot the UCLA campus.

Dad's Military Awards included the Bronze Star, Purple Heart, Presidential Unit Citation, American Defense Medal, American Campaign Medal, Asiatic Pacific Cmpaign Medal, WW II Victory Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Philippine Defense Ribbon, Philippine Liberation Ribbon, Philippine Independence Ribbon.

Older brother Joe attended VMI, was commissioned 2d Lt and served in Korea where he earned the Bronze Star and Purple Heart. He was then assigned as an instructor in Air defense at Ft. Bliss, resigning in 1955 as a First Lt, to earn his MSc and PhD in Electrical Engineering at UCLA (MSc), and UC Berkley (PhD), under scholarship with Hughs Aircraft Company.

While working for Hughes, Joe Jr. visited the Philippine Department of the Navy  to discuss a contract to install Hughes Radars on a Philippine Navy Aircraft Carrier. In the Lobby of the Navy building he discovered a plaque honoring COL Jose E. Olivares as the Founder of the Philippine Navy. Dad had never mentioned to his family this particular accomplishment, so it was a very pleasant surprise to all to learn of this honor.

In addition to Joe Jr's service in Korea, I attend the US Military Academy at West Point, served 3 years active duty and 9 years in the Reserves during the interregnum between the Korean war and the Viet Nam War. Subsequent to my resignation from active duty as a 1st Lt, Air defense Missiles, I worked for Hughes Aircraft Company, and other Defense contractors until my retirement in 2000.

My two younger brother's served as enlisted personnel in the US Army for several years, then went to work as a Defense Contractor Financial Officer (Charles) and Banker (Fernando).

I would be very much interested in hearing from anyone who served with my father (as young officers or very young enlisted personnel) in the Philippine Scouts, or who knew him when he was living in San Francisco (1953-1956) and spearheading the Philippine Scout's successful legal fight in Washington, DC to collect Back Pay for their Service in WWII during the time the Philippines was under Japanese Occupation. That Back Pay was granted to the Scouts by act of the United States Congress and signed by President Eisenhower, with whom Dad had served on GEN McArthur's staff, when Dad was a Captain and Ike was a Major.

Fellow Philippine Scout Officers, close friends of Dad's, whose names I recall include LTC Alba (see message posted elsewhere on this Board), and the following: Caluya, Guevara, Dalao (my Godfather), Reyes, Janairo, Segundo, Capinpin, Garcia, Sevilla, Poblete, Santos, Gomez, Salva, and Cepeda. Dad was Vice Commander of the Philippine Scout Legion in San Francsico.
I can be contacted as follows: Edward C. Olivares, 472 Crest of Pedlar Drive, Monroe, VA 24574, or emai- "edward.c.olivares@verizon.net".

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Re: COL Jose Emilio Olivares Aldeguer
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2006, 12:09pm

Edward Olivarez,

I was too young to have been the great activities of your father.  On reading his exciting adventures you might touch base with Col Edwin Ramsey, He and his son worked for Hughes.  While Col Ramsey might not have had specific contact with your father, I am sure he would know people that did.(ed.ramsey@verision.net).

Another is my classmate at college who lives in Manila, his family suffered terribly under the Japanese.  He is in politics and might even have met your father.  Juan Rocha, (jjrocha@cfsharp.com).

Wish you luck in your search.

Best regards,

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
EC Olivares
YaBB Newbies

Monroe, VA
Reply #2 - May 27th, 2006, 11:45am

Hi Tom. Thanks for your reply. I will try contacting Rocha. I believe that he may be related to my father and mother through their Aldeguer mothers. The name Rocha rings a bell as one of the branches of the Aldeguer descendants.

Don't know about Ed Ramsey, but I have a West Point Classmate named Russell Ramsey, retired COL US Army, currently a college professor and visiting professor and expert on the Americas (Mexico, South and Central America). He has lectured at the former School of the Americas at Ft. Benning, GA.
Thanks agin for your rep[ly and the contact names.
Ed O. Smiley

IP Logged
EC Olivares
YaBB Newbies

Monroe, VA
Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2007, 8:32pm

To all visitors and site administrators.
I have a photo of a number of Philippine Scout Officers and their wives taken in 1945 or 1946, at a welcome home for Mrs. Vicente Lim, widow of BG Vicente Lim (PA. Lim was USMA 1914 who served in the pS until retirement in 1936. He then served in the Philippine Army and as a Guerrila until captured and execute by the Japanese in 1945, along with one or more of his sons. I have been able to identify COl Jose E. Olivares and wife Maria, COL Santiago Guevara and wife, Mrs Lim, COL Reyes, COL Martelino, COL Sevilla and wife, and COL Gomez. I believe that COL Dalao, and COL Alba are included as well, along with their wives. If anyone is interested in a copy of the photo, contact me at "edward.olivares1@gmail.com" with your email address or FAX number.
Ed Olivares, USMA 1957
Monroe, VA

Note: Mr. Olivares' email address above has been corrected.  Editor

« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2008, 8:37am by Editor-at-Large »  
  IP Logged
EC Olivares
YaBB Newbies

Monroe, VA
Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2008, 9:35pm

This post is to correct my email address as given in the previous message. Change to new email address as follows:  edward.olivares1@gmail.com.
EC Olivares

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print