Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help locate 1904 Scout graves St. Louis (Read 4332 times)
Al_Katzenberger
YaBB Newbies

Help locate 1904 Scout graves St. Louis
Feb 12th, 2006, 4:52pm

I am seeking the names of the Philippine Scouts who
attended the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis.  Four of these Scouts died during the fair and are buried at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery.  Jefferson Barracks records the graves by names only.  The National Cemetery has over 150,000 graves.  Thirteen
Filipinos died during the fair.  If you know anything about any of those who died, please let me know.  I located five Filipinos at Calvary Cemetery in St. Louis.
I need to find Antonio Estudillo, Filipino Teacher, died February 24, 1904 and sent back to the Philippin Islands.  Also Maura 18, Suyon 30, Mariana Vilana 28.

IP Logged
26th
YaBB Newbies

Re: Help locate 1904 Scout graves St. Louis
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2007, 10:21pm

How did these folks die? 13 at a worlds fair?
Rudy Cabigas

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #2 - May 10th, 2007, 7:07pm

Dear Philippine Scouts,            

The four Filipino military men who died at the 1904 Worlds Fair in St. Louis were  Philippine Constabulary who died of chicken pox.  They were not Philippine Scouts.  The two groups were separated in different camps and when the sickness  struck the Philippine Scouts isolated themselves further to keep from getting sick.  

Dr. Virgilio Pilapil of Springfield, Illinois is compiling a paper concerning the Filipino  deaths at the 1904 Worlds Fair.  I will ask him to send you information.            

Thank you for answering my E-mail.  I will send you E-mails related to this subject.    

Alfred J. Katzenberger, Jr.  
Honorary Member of Filipino American Historical Society and  Treasurer, Jefferson Barracks Chapel Association

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #3 - May 11th, 2007, 10:32am

Antonio Estudillo has a Passenger List record and with him are two names, but it looks like one was crossed out.  The three names are Estudillo, Pillar Zamora, and the crossed out name, Rev William Hornsby, whose name I ran across in STIC internees, I think.  The name Hornby is familiar to me.  Can anyone help me out?

In any case the Ship was America Maru Sailing from Hong Kong on Dec 18, 1903 and arriving in San Francisco on Jan 18, 1903 (Which I know is an error as it would have to be 1904).  In the columns, none of which are filled in for the Rev Hornsby, it shows that neither is a Polygamist or an Anarchist (common questions at the time) and that the passage was paid for by the US.  Estudillo is 31, a clerk and married, Zamora is 29, a teacher and single.  Rev Hornsby is listed as a Catholic Priest, age 31.  These are the only ones listed on this page and it looks like Rev Hornsby didn't sail.

The other names I couldn't find any information.  Hope this information will be of some use.

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #4 - May 12th, 2007, 9:09am

Dear Mr. Katzenberger,

We consulted File #206960, Entry 89, General Correspondence, 1890-1914, Record Group 92, Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General, and were unable to find documentation that indicates where the bodies that were disinterred in April of 1905 and shipped back to the Philippines were buried after removal from Jefferson Barracks, National Cemetery.

There may be additional information in Record Group 350, Records of the Bureau of Insular Affairs since the Bureau of Insular Affairs seemed to be involved. The file refers to the "Filipino Contingent" at the St. Louis Exposition in 1904 which appears to be a mix of Philippine Scouts and non-military Filipinos. One document in the file refers to five or six burials at Cavalry Cemetery with two being constabulary soldiers. Unfortunately the document does not provide the names of the five or six Filipinos. This document is what led to the burials at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery.

We consulted National Archives Microfilm Publication M233, Register of Enlistments in the U.S. Army, 1798-1914, Roll #72, Philippine Scouts. We searched enlistments from 1901 to 1904 but were unable to identify a Philippine Scout by the name of Maliquida.

We were unable to identify a list of soldiers from the Filipino Contingent who died at the fair still buried in the St. Louis area. The Quartermaster Department directed that all bodies held by Cullen & Kelley, Undertakers, St. Louis, were supposed to be shipped back to the Philippines with those disinterred from Jefferson Barracks, National Cemetery in 1905.

Record Group 350 is held in the Civilian Records unit at the National Archives in College Park, Maryland. For more information on this record group please send an e-mail to inquire@nara.gov.

Sincerely,

TREVOR K. PLANTE
Old Military and Civil Records
National Archives and Records Administration
Washington, DC

>>> Alfred Katzenberger 03/13/06 03:45PM >>>
Dear Mr. Trevor K. Plante:

You do excellent work. Thank You.

I hate to but I must impose on you again. With your help we have now found
eleven of the thirteen Filipinos who died during the St. Louis World's Fair
in 1904. Do the records show where the soldiers where buried in the Philippine
Islands? Calvary Cemetery in St. Louis at www.stlcathcem.com has a
Filipino Soldier listed by the name Maliquida. He is listed as 24 and buried
July 5, 1904. Was he in fact a soldier? The funeral home had his occupation
listed as a soldier. Are there any other Filipino soldiers still buried in the
St. Louis area?

NWCTB wrote:
Reply to: NWCTB-2603311

Dear Mr. Katzenberger,

We identified four members of the Filipino Contingent who died while attending the St. Louis Exposition in 1904 and were buried in Jefferson Barracks, National Cemetery:

Peplon, died July 28, 1904, buried in grave 12009, Sec. 30

Danvan, died August 5, 1904, buried in grave 11995, Sec. 30

Salvador Corisco, Sgt. Co. B, Phil Cont, died August 24, 1904, interred in grave 11996, Sec. 30

Joaquin Amayo, died September 16, 1904, buried in grave 12000, Sec. 30

The four bodies were disinterred in April of 1905 and shipped back to the Philippines.

The above information was found in file #206960, Entry 89, General Correspondence, 1890-1914, Record Group 92, Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General.

Sincerely,

TREVOR K. PLANTE
Old Military and Civil Records
National Archives and Records Administration
Washington, DC

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #5 - May 12th, 2007, 9:13am

Dear Gil,

1.  Basilio
2.  Dadao
3.  Falayay
4.  Ibay
5.  Maliquida
6.  Infant Fillipino: (Spelling as listed)
    Infant: Luis Francis Wilson
              or Louisa Francis Eihinang
              or Louisa Francis Bihinang
              or Louisa Francis Taft
Father's name Fayas or Sayas

Picture of baby in office letter basket Page One
of St. Louis Globe-Democrat April 20, 1904.

Dadao's obituary in St. Louis Post-Dispatch  July 8, 1904.

All listed at www.stlcathcem.com

1.  Joaquin Amayo
2.  Salvador Corisco  (Grave Location Unknown)
3.  Danvan (Grave Location Unknown)
4.  Peplon  (Grave Location Unknown)

Buried at Jefferson Barrack National Cemetery (JBNC).
Joaquin Amayo still has a headstone at JBNC.

Joaquin Amayo is listed at http://gravelocator.cem.va.gov/j2ee/servlet/NGL_v1

Joaquin Amayo is in old part of the National Cemetery
in Section 30, Site 12000  (Next to the South Drive and
near Old Post West Drive.

1.  Antonio Estudillo died February 24, 1904.  Was a Filipino Teacher.
    Body sent back to Philippine Islands.  (Grave Location Unknown)

2.  Maura died April 15, 1904.  (Grave Location Unknown)

3.  Mariana Vilana died May 6, 1904 (Grave Location Unknown)

These last three names are listed in the St. Louis
Globe-Democrat December 24, 1904,  Page 11.

The request to "smoke body" of Maura was denied
as stated in St. Louis Post-Dispatch April 22, 1904,
Page 13 and St. Louis Globe-Democrat April 22,
1904, Page 4.

This is all thirteen.

Hope this is helpful.

Al
March 30, 2006

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print