Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SSGT PROCOPIO KABAHIT, P.S. BATTERY D, 92ND ARTY (Read 3462 times)
phoenixactual
YaBB Newbies

SSGT PROCOPIO KABAHIT, P.S. BATTERY D, 92ND ARTY
Oct 13th, 2005, 4:27pm

I am looking for any information regarding my Grandfather, Procopio Kabahit. He served with the 92nd Coastal Artillery, Battery D before and during WWII. He also served under the command of now retired Col Santos. Any information is appreciated. I am trying to compile some info for a family reunion.

Semper Fi
Domingo K. Salazar
Major, USMC (RET)

IP Logged
djsapper
YaBB Newbies

Kansas
Re: SSGT PROCOPIO KABAHIT, P.S. BATTERY D, 92ND AR
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2005, 8:59am

Dear Mr Salazar,

My name is Sgt Jeff A. Beltran. My Grandfather Sgt Anthony C. Caraan was in the 91st CA. I recently talked to a Lauro Villagracia Sr who is in Washington State and He might know some info about your grandfather. My grandfather was in Battery C. Now I don't know if he was actually in the 91st or 92nd CA, because he wasn't sure. I am planning on writing a letter out to Mr and Mrs Villagracia in regards to this matter and to attain more information. It is very important to me as it is to you, because we are losing a very important part of our Military and Family link as well as our Heritage our Legacy and passing it on to our future generations of children and grand children. If you have any information about my grandfather please email me back. He passed away on March 9, 1999, so my link to him is only going to be from his close friends or those who served with him and those numbers of friends and soldiers get lower each day as our World War 2 PS pass away and due to the dark times of records being lost and just word of mouth and the documents being destroy in the 1970's records files, we can only get glimpse or snapshots of what our grandparents did during those dark times of the Japanese Occupation. As for myself, call it duty, honor or country or reliving and passing on his legacy, I joined the Army in 1989 recently on the 29th of May 2005 I was combat wounded in Iraq and yesterday I was awarded my purple heart and my Combat Action Badge. I am humbled and proud to know if my grandfather were alive he would have been very honored, humbled and proud to see his grandson receive this badge of honor. I know in spirit that he was there and having his dogtag with my dogtags is my way of honoring him as well. I wish you much luck and success in finding information about your grandfather and hope to hear from you soon as well. Thanks for taking the time to read this and responding when time permits. Sincerely, Sgt Jeff Anthony Beltran USA Ft.Riley KS.  BTW my dad is retired Navy too, so the military blood runs deep in my family.

IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2005, 4:22pm

Hi Major Salazar,

If you have a few more details such as first & last names, dates, locations, units, etc, I will be glad to search for information/ sources for you.

Sue

http:www.kabahit.com  is Jeffrey
www.kabahit.com/Johnny.htm   is Johnny, Jr.

WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2006, 6:10am

Procopio Kabahit is one tough man to get information on.  Hope these are not too little and too late and the  reunion  is / was  very good for One-and-All  to renew family bonds. Source: Ancestry databases. Best regards, Sue

U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946 Record
Name: Procopio Kabahit
Birth Year: 1904  
Race: Filipino, citizen  
Enlistment Date: 14 Nov 1940
Branch: Coast Artillery Corps  
Branch Code: Coast Artillery Corps or Army Mine Planter Service  
Grade: Corporal  
Grade Code: Corporal  
Term of Enlistment: Three year enlistment  
Component: Philippine Scouts (Officers and Enlisted Men)  
Source: Enlisted Man, Regular Army, within 3 months of Discharge or former WAAC Auxiliary  
Education: Grammar school  
Civil Occupation: Shoe Repairman  
Marital Status: Married  
Height: 63  
Weight: 140  

The word, "source" (used above)  is of curious use.
The government wanted to know what the source of the soldiers was / where in life they came from. I think it had more to do with training and placement of large numbers of new inexperienced soldiers into experienced (trained) units than anything else.

World War II Prisoners of War, 1941-1946 Record
Name:      Procopio Kabahit
Race:      Filipino
Residence State:   Philippine Islands
Report Date:      7 May 1942
Grade:      Corporal
Grade Notes:      First Lieutenant or Chief Nurse or Head dietitian or Head physical therapy aide or Corporal or Technician 5th Grade or Lt. Jr. Grade or First Class, Seaman
Service Branch:      Army
Arm or Service:      Coast Artillery Corps
Arm or Service Code:      Coast Artillery Corps Or Amp: Army Mine Planter Service
Area Served:      Southwest Pacific Theatre: Philippine Islands
Detaining Country:      Japan
Camp:      Philippines Unstated Philippines 14-121
Status:      Returned to Military Control, Liberated or Repatriated

WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print