Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
26th Cavalry & Antitank Weapons (Read 3738 times)
MB_Vanderboegh
YaBB Newbies

26th Cavalry & Antitank Weapons
Jul 17th, 2005, 3:44pm

Can any of the surviving Scouts of the 26th help me with this question?:

I have a 1933 edition of Cavalry Tactics & Techniques and the 37mm antitank gun was even then part of the TO&E of the cavalry brigade.  Toland, in his But Not In Shame, describes Private Soria of Barker's troop taking on a Jap tank at Binalonan with grenades and Coke bottle molotovs.  I realize that this was before the US Army had bazookas or, I think, even antitank rifle grenades.

But of all the many miscalculations about the campaign, it seems to my inexperienced mind that the lack of antitank weapons to counter Jap tanks was something that surely should have been foreseen.  In the event, what was the state of antitank training in the 26th and was Jap armor a critical factor working for them in those critical early days right after the invasion before the lines stabilized in Bataan?

Mike Vanderboegh
PO Box 926
Pinson, AL  35126
GeorgeMason1776@aol.com

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print