Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Philippine Scout Shoulder Patches (Read 5893 times)
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Philippine Scout Shoulder Patches
May 14th, 2005, 6:27am

The Philippine Department patch was adopted on July 8, 1922 and features a white sea-lion brandishing a sword, on a blue field.  The sea lion was taken from the arms of Aragon, Spain and suggests the 300 years of Spanish rule, the military function of the unit, and the maritime location of the Philippine Islands.  The department itself was established in 1913 as the headquarters for all US Army forces in the Philippines and China (the 15th Infantry was based at Tientsin from 1913 to 1938), and the patch was worn by all army units not assigned to the Philippine Division, such as the coast artillery and the 26th Cavalry (PS), or the air corps.  The Philippine Division was created in 1922 based on two US infantry regiments (15th and 31st) and two Philippine Scout regiments (45th and 57th) patch was also adopted on July 8, 1922 and features a gold carabao (symbolizing the Philippines) on a red shield.  Gold and red were the Spanish colors.

Shoulder patches as such were first adopted in 1918 by the troops assigned to the divisions of the American Expeditionary Force in France, and after WWI, were adopted for wear by troops assigned to army HQs (1st - 4th), department (Philippine, Panama Canal, Hawaiian), and divisions (1-9, 1 Cav, Philippine, Panama Canal and Hawaiian).  In the 1930s a few other RA units also received patches, including the GHQ Air Force, 7th Cavalry Brigade (Mech), and Hawaiian Separate Coast Artillery Brigade.   The patch flood gates opened wide during WW2 with 8 million men and women in army uniforms, in contrast to the prewar army which fluctuated around 160,000, only a third of which wore patches.  This is why the pre-WW2 patches are relatively scarce, if not downright rare.

Bob

The above information was provided by Bob Capistrano  <robert_capistrano@hotmail.com> whose article on Scout insignia along with numerous insignia images can be found on the website "Articles" page.  Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
26th
YaBB Newbies

Re: Philippine Scout Shoulder Patches
Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2007, 5:13pm

hi bob
just read this and know it is over 2 years. I have a felt on felt sea horse from the 20's. my dad was 26th cav. I know they are rare but how rare and how much for one so I can make sure no one in family give it away.
Rudy ???

IP Logged
dinky00062
YaBB Newbies

Re: Philippine Scout Shoulder Patches
Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2007, 1:34pm

Hi, Rudy.  I read you message you posted. My Great Grandfather was a PI Scout, a prvt. in the 26th Cavalry in the Philippines durning WWII. I recently received his medals awarded to him during his time of service (7 total). I don't have any patches to share with you but I was wondering if you had any information to share with me.  Maybe any kind of photos of this time.  I have only one photo of my Great Grandfather.  I wish you luck with your search and what to thank you if you have any information to share with me.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print