Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Philippine Division (Read 14412 times)
Jim Stephenson

Philippine Division
Apr 13th, 2005, 4:18pm

Could anyone distinguish the difference between the Philippine Division and the Philippine Scouts? ???

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Philippine Division
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2005, 5:01pm

About two-thirds of the roughly 12,000 Philippine Scouts served in the Philippine Division, in units such as 45th & 57th Infantry Regts. (PS), 23rd & 24th Field Artillery Regts. (PS), 14th Engr Regt. (PS), 12th Medical Regt. (PS), 12th Signal Regt. (PS) and 12th QM Regt. (PS).   The only non-Scout unit in the division was the 31st Infantry, manned entirely by Americans.

At the end of July, 1941, 7,921 of 10,473 officers and men in the Philippine Division were Scouts.  (The Fall of the Philippines by Louis Morton, p. 22.) 

Other PS units, such as the 26th Cavalry Regt. (PS), the 86th and 88th Field Artillery Bns. (PS) and the 91st and 92nd Coast Artillery Regts. (PS) were not part of the Philippine Division.

All Scouts were regular US Army and not part of the Philippine Army.  Scout units were manned at the enlisted and NCO levels by Filipinos.  Only 31 commissioned officers in PS units were Filipinos, 15 of these in the Philippine Division.  The remainder were American.

Editor  

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2005, 9:07am by Editor-at-Large »  

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Luke C.

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2005, 7:18pm

Dear Editor,

Big thumbs up work for your excellent work!

I'm wondering if you have any information about the Army, US-led or Philippine-led, units in Mindanao and Western Visayas.

I'm researching about my late lolo's (Lt. Lucio Tio) involvement during WWII. He was last reported stationed in Bukidnon province, as a reservist activated during the War.  I believe he was a supply officer, educated from UP-Dilliman.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Luke C.

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2005, 7:30pm

Quote:
Dear Editor,

Big thumbs up work for your excellent work!

I'm wondering if you have any information about the Army, US-led or Philippine-led, units in Mindanao and Western Visayas.

I'm researching about my late lolo's (Lt. Lucio Tio) involvement during WWII. He was last reported stationed in Bukidnon province, as a reservist activated during the War.  I believe he was a supply officer, educated from UP-Dilliman.

Thanks!

BTW: He owned part of Del Monte farms in the said province.

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2005, 7:54pm

We generally limit ourselves to questions concerning the Philippine Scouts and your Lolo would have been in the Philippine Army.  The Fall of the Philippines by Louis Morton is an excellent book which would have much of the information you seek.  It is part of the U.S. Army in WWII: The War in the Pacific series.  Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
vabloom
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2006, 11:52pm

The only non-Scout unit in the division was the 31st Infantry, manned entirely by Americans.

The current historian of the 31st Infantry Regiment notes there were two Filipinos groups attached to the 31st Infantry Regiment. One group was the 31st Infantry Regiment Band. My Filipino Grandfather was a member and I have a list of other Filipinos band member from 1931, if anyone is interested.

Sidenote: Band members participated in the 1932 Shanghai Battle and were awarded the Yangtze Service Medal (Marines)... I have a copy of a scanned page of the Band members who received this medal, who were still alive in 1940. It's not a very good copy but I'm happy to share it.

IP Logged
sarahtittsworth
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2007, 5:57am

I'm new to this site.  I am trying to help a friend find information on his father in law John S. Sambrano, who was a Filippino Scout.  He was a Pvt in the Coast Artillery Corps.  His Army serial # is 06866636.  He enlisted on Oct 3, 1941.

How can get additional information on what regiment he served in etc.

Thanks
Sarah 8)

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2007, 10:41am

Dear Sarah,

You should post your request under the "Scouts" subject area using his name, Pvt. John S. Sambrano.  The two Philippine (not Filipino) Scout units were the 91st and 92nd Coast Artillery (PS).  The following veterans of these two units are still thought to be living.

91st Coast Artillery Reg. (PS)
SP5 Gavino Cabanilla, [Btry. “C”]
SSgt. Juan Guzman, Seaside, CA
Frankie Ramirez, [Battery “A”], Killeen, TX
Msgt. Lauro Villagracia, Lakewood, WA
LTG John M. Wright, Jr., Riverside, CA

92nd Coast Artillery Reg. (PS)
SFC Eduardo Abinsay, [Battery A] Pittsburg, CA
Lt. Jose Aquino, [Battery “G”], South San Francisco, CA
Simplicio Babao, Jr., [Battery “D”], Davao City, Philippines
CSMJ Ricardo Devilla, Lakewood, WA
Ambrosio Quevedo, Monterey, CA

Good luck with your search!   Editor

« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2007, 3:25pm by Editor-at-Large »  

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #8 - Mar 4th, 2007, 10:51am

Name:       John Sambrano
Birth Year:       1917
Race:       Filipino, citizen (Filipino)

Enlistment Date:       3 Oct 1941
Branch:       Coast Artillery Corps
Branch Code:       Coast Artillery Corps or Army Mine Planter Service
Grade Code:       Private
Term of Enlistment:       Enlistment for the Philippine Department
Component:       Philippine Scouts (Officers and Enlisted Men)
Source:       Enlisted Man, Regular Army, within 3 months of Discharge or former WAAC Auxiliary

Education:       1 year of high school
Civil Occupation:       Photographer, News
Marital Status:       Single, without dependents
Height:       67
Weight:       126

courtesy of Ancestry.com

WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
herrick
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - Nov 27th, 2011, 9:48am

My Grandpa's Unit was the Headquarter, a company composed of only 35 men underarms, they were place under the direct command of Philippine Department, of which before the Outbreak of war between the US and Japan, was under the Philippine Department Commander MG Grunert, when the USAFFE was form by Macarthur, Some of the US army personnels were not absorbed totally although in name they were, but in records they were not, they remain as service command such was under MG Allan Mcbride, even when the command was change to USAFIP under MG Wainwright they still remain with  MG Mcbride, anyone from that group or roster??

« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2011, 3:17pm by herrick »  
  IP Logged
herrick
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - Nov 27th, 2011, 10:58am

May I ask if its possible to know about my grandfather: here is some of the details;
Grandfather: ADAMIN ADAM TALLOW
UNIT: HEADQUARTER, Philippine Department?
Rank: 1Lt. up to Lamon Bay Landing,  Major at the end of Bataan
DATE OF, JOINING:  maybe 1932,
PLACE OF JOINING: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
PLACE OF BIRTH: PARANG, SULU PHILIPPINES
DESCENCY: FILIPINO
DATE OF BIRTH: 1902

« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2014, 10:19am by herrick »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print