Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Capt. Ernie Gamelgaard-88th Field Artillery (PS)  (Read 3106 times)
Ernie Gamelgaard

Capt. Ernie Gamelgaard-88th Field Artillery (PS) 
Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:07pm

Does anyone remember Capt Ernie Gamelgaard? He was with 2nd Battilon, 88th Field Artillery.  Cabanatuan, Hell ships Oryoku maru and Enoura maru Reportley died and buried on Formosa January 7 or 9 1945?

Reportly when arrived in PI he was an aide to Macurthur then transfered to duty with the Scouts.  Not much is known.  I am his grandson looking for information.  Thank you.  Chris Gamelgaard.  The spelling of our last on the Oryoku Maru ship list was Gamelguard.  He looked like James Cagney, hands always on hips when standing.

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re:  Capt. Ernie Gamelgaard-88th Field Artill
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:57pm

Probably the definitive book on the 88th FA (PS) is History of the Philippine Scouts Field Artillery by Col. Melvin H. Rosen.  I doubt that you will be able to find it commercially; however, The American Historical Collection at the Rizal Library at Ateneo de Manila University may have a copy.  It is available at any of the following U.S. libraries: Library of Congress; National Archives; U.S. Army Military History Institute (Carlisle Barracks); PSHS Museum (San Antonio); Office of Chief of Military History; and USMA Library at West Point.  The author, who now lives in retirement in the suburbs of Washington, D.C., was an officer with the 88th Field Artillery (PS).  

The book The Philippine Scouts edited by Col. John Olson has a chapter on the 1st and 2nd Bn, 88th FA (PS)  (pps. 166-176).  Among the dozen photos is one of “B” Battery, 1st Bn. Officers.  Information on ordering this book is available in the bibliography midway down the “Exchange” page of our PSHS website.  That book is also available at the Rizal Library.

Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2005, 12:05am

The following was contributed by Col. Mel Rosen.  Editor

Capt.Irwin W. (Ernie) Gamelgaard was the Battery C.O. of "D" Btry, 2d Bn 88th FA (PS) for part of the time on Bataan.  His serial number at that time was O-244336. I believe he was killed on the Enoura Maru. I regret that although we were in the same battalion, I never got to know Ernie that well  I was the C.O. of "E" Btry. Best. Mel

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
ernie
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2005, 12:07am

How exciting to receive your e-mail.  Do you remember speaking to Ernie?  Do you remember what his personality was like.  His wife, my grandmother died of cancer when my father was 14 years old so all is lost including all but 2 pictures.  How did you know his first name was Irwin and middle initial W.?  

I see you have written a book about the 88th.  Do have any pictures of my grandfather in your book?  Do you have any extra copies we can purchase?  We recently, finally got the government to acknowledge his service, because of the 1973 fire.  They are sending three medals, including the prisoner of war metal which we have tried for years to obtain.  They said if we could send his seperation document he would be entitled to additional awards.  I am going to send them a copy of his headstone, which states his January 9, 1945 death date. Thank you so much Chris Gamelgaard

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print