Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Maj. Karol Anthony Bauer WestPoint'36,45th Inf(PS) (Read 17544 times)
westpoint_1936
YaBB Newbies

Connecticut
Maj. Karol Anthony Bauer WestPoint'36,45th Inf(PS)
Mar 15th, 2005, 7:23am

(date in photo above should be 1944, not 1945, C.D.)
Please Help: †Seeking any information about my Uncle, Maj. Karol Anthony Bauer, West Point Class of 1936, West Point Cullum File # 10652, stationed 1938/9 at Plattsburg Barracks, New York, married 1937, †rank of Major, 45th Infanty Philippine Scouts, captured, survived Death March, listed as killed while on hellship Oryoko Maru, Olangapo, Luzon, Dec. 15th, 1944. His surviving sister Antoinette S. Bauer (my mother) and I (Creighton R. Demarest, Darien, CT.) would like any additional information or contact anyone who knew Karol. †Thank You.
Creighton Demarest (Connecticut)
cd02md@yahoo.com
Sept. 7,2006 - GREAT NEWS ! WE FOUND KAROL's daughter after 60+ years of not knowing where she was since the outbreak of war. See more below.
Thanks to all who added infromation and remembering
my uncle Major Karol Anthony Bauer. We now have closure.

Some information about the photos - Uncle Karol wrote on the back of the photo" about to climb aboard a bomber for training". Uncle Karol is giving his brother Edward Bauer a piggy back ride on the porch of their New Haven, Conn. home. And Karol's West Point senior portrait photo from 1936.

« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2016, 3:05pm by westpoint_1936 »  
WWW   IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Re: Karol Anthony Bauer, West Point '36, 45th Inf(
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2006, 7:51pm

Hi, Crieghton,

I was too young to be in that great struggle but I have a ton of books on the subject and read and re read them.  When I was in high school (1956) I read They
Were Expendable and I was hooked.

Many Lawton's "Some Survived" is a source for the sinking at Olanapo.  In it he has listed the 1607 American Prisoners aboard the 3 Hell Ships.  He also has passages in the book which reference Maj Bauer.  First I want to menion, in case you don't already know, but in the prisoner list Maj Bauer's name is misspelled.  It has "Karol A. Bayer - Ukn".  Which means they didn't have any address.  This list was prepared by 4 survivors of the ordeal for inclusion in the Oryoku Maru Story in 1982.  Maybe more information is there.
(The only misspelling in the name is on this list of personnel)Pg 33-35
e are the Passages from the book: (takes place at Cabanatuan shortly after it was opened)
    In the nearby barracks were Maj Karol Bauer and Lieutenant Francis Scarborough, officers of my outfit. (Bauer and Scarborough were the only two of nine Americans who served with the 31st Inf, PA, whom I saw during the 3 1/2 years as a prisoner.  They died later on a prison ship.  Col Erwin was killed on the Death March.  Most of the others either died in combat or were lost on prison ships en route to Japan.)
    Maj Bauer was seated on a bench infront of his cabin where he and nine other majors bunked together.  With a startled look he exclaimed, "Well, if it isn't Manny Lawton!  I'm glad to see you made it.  So many were lost."  His voice weakened and his eyes became blurred.
    "It's wonderful to see you, Karl.  We must be the only two Americans left in the Regiment."  I answered with equal emotion.
    "I saw Lieutenant Scarborough this morning.  Don't know who else is here."
    Bauer didn't much resemble the short wiry, neat officer with crew-cut black hair I remembered.  Before me now stood a weak, gaunt, ghost of the West Pointer of only a few months earlier.  His checks were sunken and his eyes deep set, but his worm smile was still with him.  We sat and talked for more that an hour, reviewing the Death March.
    "Karl, did you see many of the atrocities everyone is telling about?"
    "Yes.  It's all true.  It was terrible.  I saw men get shot for trying to get water or for not being able to keep up.  There were hundreds of corpses beside the road."
    "You must have started on the second or third day.  The earlier groups had less actual killings," I observed.
    "I had tried to get to Corregidor, so they didn't get me until April 11.  I joined those who had withdrawn toward the west coast and then drifted down to Mriveles.  That meant at least ten or more additional miles of marchin, and then ttwo more days with no food.  They werealready hungry and weak.  Many of them had malaria, too."
    As we talked, Sgt Calvin Graif of Carlsbad, New Mexico, walked by.  Hearing our conversation, he stopped and joined us.  Graef was First Sergeant of Battery H, 200th Antiaircraft Regiment (200th CA Reg), from his state.  Being a National Guard unit meant that its ranks were filled with local boys.  For a state with lless than one million population to furnish so many men, they had to draw from practically every community.  It was to mean collective heartbreak, for with few exceptions every framily every family lost a son or relative in Japanese POW camps.  Throughout New Mexico today are to be found monuments, lakes and shrines with the sad word BATAAN emblazened in bold letters---areminder that there once lived and played some of the state's finest and bravest.
Here is Pg 174 and it takes place at Olongapo, Subic Bay after they leave the ship.
    Major Karl Bauer, who headed the evacuation, said, "There isn't much time.  Forget about the road."  We loaded our troops and equiptment in the darkness and hastily departed, leaving the dynamite in place, unexploded.  Nearly three years had passed since that night.  Now, prisoners, we were crowded into Japanese trucks, being moved to a destination unknown to us.

These were the only two parts of the book that made reference to Maj Bauer.  I noticed the frequent use of Karl instead of Karol.  Maybe in this book it stated why this exception and in quoting the two passages I missed it.

If you haven't been advised of these passages I hope they are of help to you.

All the best

Thomas McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
c_burkhart
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2006, 1:14am

According to the "Despidida" program that I have dated August 24, 1941, Capt. K.A. Bauer was with 3rd Batallion, Co. Co"I" at that time. This was a farewell/welcome party held at the Army-Navy Club in Manila. Other officers in the company were C.A. Croom (my dad Thomas F. Burkhart had a picture of him),C.B. Moore,H. Humphreys, and R.B. Lapham( later the guerilla leader) Most of the officers got a promotion at the end of December, 1941.
Caroline

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:42am

Caroline,

With your new information I went to Robert Lapham's book, "Lapham's Raiders", and there is a photo of officers celebrating in the Army Navy Club in Aug of '41.  Probably Karol is among them.  Lt Col Lapham passed away when I moved to Arizona in Dec '03.  He lived with in 5 miles of my house here, and I didn't know it until a year later.  His widow passed away within the last 6 months and I sent a card to their daughter, who lives here also.

The Index of Lapham's Raiders doesn't list Karol or the other officers mentioned, except Lt Col Lapham.  The book covers mostly Guerrilla activities but the first 2 chapters cover the fight before the surrender.  You might want to get a copy and read about before the surrender.  There are 2 photos that don't have Karol named but he might be in them.  One is the group at the party in Aug of '41 at the Army Navy Club.  The other is the retiremnet party for Col Lapham's 1st Sgt, but since Karol wasn't in Lapham's company he milght not have been there.

Hope this information is of some help.  I appologize for not sending it earlier but I didn't associate Karol's association with Lapham.

Regards,

Tom

Tom
  IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2006, 12:14am

Hi Caroline and Creighton,

I found some additional information on Karol Bauer, you might already know of it.  On Ancestry.com you can access newspaper clippings that have someone you are researching mentioned.

I pulled up the Syracuse Herald of Syracuse, NY for June 2, 1936 and it has an article on the graduation at West Point.  277 graduates, with 14 from New York State.  Karol Anthony Bauer is listed along with Representative J. Q. Tilson appointed Bauer to the Military Academy after he graduated from the Utica Free Academy.  It isn't much and this clipping is probably already in your possession but I had to let you know about it in case you didn't know of it.

The article is printed on the left edge of the paper and the words that start each line are missing a letter, but from the words that are there you can determing what the missing letters were and read the article.

I have the article and in case you don't belong to Anchester.com and would want it I could mail it to you.  I enlarged the newspaper and scotch-taped it together so it is easy to read.  Or if you  have never been a member of Ancester.com they give you 14 days free to decide if it is for you.  During those 14 days you can print up your own copy of the article.  Just enter Karol's name in the blank and click on the button.  You should come up with all they have including some not related Karol's.

Regards,

Tom

Tom
  IP Logged
westpoint_1936
YaBB Newbies

Connecticut
Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2006, 11:35am

Outstanding News !!
Through this excellent site - I and my mother have FOUND the long missing daughter of Karol Anthony Bauer ! Her name is Nancy Grace Bauer Earnest. And it was while her husband Walter researching his military connections that he found this site and to their surprise,
someone looking for them all these years ( 68! )
Nancy had wondered †for decades if her father had other siblings, and where any of them might live today.
Thank You P.S.H.S. for being here and for being responsible for this emotional reunion.
Creighton Demarest and Antoinette Bauer

WWW   IP Logged
westpoint_1936
YaBB Newbies

Connecticut
Maj.Karol Anthony Bauer,West Point'36,45th Inf(PS)
Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2006, 11:25am

A follow up to the joyous reunion -
Karol's daughter, Nancy Grace Bauer, my cousin, flew to Connecticut with her husband Walter, to meet Karol's sole surving sister, †Antoinette S. Bauer. Aunt Tini is 80 now and very ill, but full of strength now that she has finally met her long lost neice - 68 ! years late. It has been a treat to discover 'new' photos of Major Karol A. Bauer that our familes can now share and add to our memories. Nancy's husband Walter researched the tiny
Philippine Scout pin visable on Karol's dress white uniform - and that is how he located this Society message board. Yesterday, Oct. 16th 2006 , Nancy, Walter and I toured West Point. The emotions, sights, glorous weather, museum exhibits made our reunion perfect. The next day Nancy and Walter will be granted special security passes to view the plaque †where Karol's name is listed with the other brave West Pointers
lost in action. It is very difficult not to think of my uncle Karol every day - even though I never had the honor of meeting him. He was killed while being held prisioner December 14th, 1944 - 7 years before I was born, and his daughter Nancy was just 5. †Keep the faith and hope that you may find news here about your loved ones - thanks again to the readers here. We never forget.
Creighton Demarest and Antoinette S. Bauer

photo information- Maj. Bauer's daughter Nancy Grace Earnest with Creighton Demarest, Maj. Bauer's nephew visiting West Point. Nancy and her mother were sent home from the Philippines to the states just before war broke out. Nancy's mother was greeted at NYC Grand Central Station and said to a friend that they will never see Karol again.

« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2016, 3:16pm by westpoint_1936 »  
WWW   IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #7 - Oct 17th, 2006, 12:34pm

To witness such joy out of this most devastating time in American-Philippine history does everyone associated so much good.  When I have a bad day, I think of this moment of bringing families closer and everything is brighter.  

Tom McGeeney   ord510@cox.net

Tom
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #8 - Dec 10th, 2006, 5:57am

Read story about Lt. Bauer who was with the 45th Inf PS but in another battalion. If Lt. Bauer was on board on Oryoku Maru to Japan after our death march, he must have been with Capt. Thomas F. Burkhart who was  one of the officers in my unit. Caroline Burkhart daughter of Capt. Burkhart sent me documents she obtained from the National Archives in Washington, D. C....As far as I know there was no documents/roster of the 45th Inf PS evacuated out from Bataan. If Capt. Bauer graduated from USMA Calí39, maybe Col. Olson knew him.

Contributed by Major Fred Foz, who was a Sgt. with the 45th Infantry (PS) during WWII.  Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
westpoint_1936
YaBB Newbies

Connecticut
Reply #9 - Dec 12th, 2006, 11:21am

I want to thank everyone who has contributed
in my search for my cousin Nancy and her mother
Marjorie Bauer. You may read about our story
online at www.stamfordadvocate.com . (Connecticut)
Search for the Saturday Dec. 9, 2006 †front page
story using " Creighton Demarest " .
Another story appears in the Sunday Dec. 10, 2006
The Miami Herald, " Resident finds long-lost family", by Elaine De Valle
I would like to thank the P.S.H.S. because this was the vehicle that made a hopeless search successful.
Creighton Demarest & Antoinette Bauer McIntyre

« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2011, 10:46am by westpoint_1936 »  
WWW   IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2007, 1:11am

The Miami Herald story of the Bauer family reunion is reprinted (with permission) in the Fall 2007 issue of the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society newsletter.  Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
westpoint_1936
YaBB Newbies

Connecticut
Re: Karol Anthony Bauer, West Point '36, 45th Inf(PS)
Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2009, 2:34pm

Maj. Bauer's six sisters at home in Hammondsport,
NY. as the war goes on- and they worry about their
brother Karol

« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2011, 10:59am by westpoint_1936 »  
WWW   IP Logged
westpoint_1936
YaBB Newbies

Connecticut
Maj. Karol Anthony Bauer WP class'36 45th Inf(PS)photo
Reply #12 - Oct 18th, 2011, 11:13am

Maj.I have updated my photos of my Uncle Karol,
showing the day he passed, during the attack on his Hell Ship,
a photo of my meeting his daughter Nancy and our tour of West Point
a few years a go. A photo of Karol's six sisters taken while he was
overseas. They were home in Hammondsport, NY. desperately
waiting for any news about their brother who is 'somewhere
over there?'. †Karol's mother Caroline and brother Edward
also home praying for some good news which never came.
The photos above are of Karol during training, in his jump outfit.
Karol as a young boy with his brother Edward on his back. I imagine
Karol also carried a few of his brothers during his last months
during his captivity. I hope this great organization has helped others
fill in some of their missing details about their loved ones. †It certainly
helped our family. †Maj. Bauers last surviving sister Antoinette passed Jan. 12, 2011. She was at peace knowing all the details about her brother that she and the family never knew. It gave us great pride to finally tell Karols story to many - to celebrate his life rather than not speaking about it as the family had done for decades. †C.Demarest

« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2011, 4:21pm by westpoint_1936 »  
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print