Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Capt. Pete VanNostrand, 26th Cavalry(PS) (Read 3213 times)
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Capt. Pete VanNostrand, 26th Cavalry(PS)
Feb 11th, 2005, 1:47pm

I was involved in a small way with some Philippine Scouts when I was sent out from the 31st Inf. to the Philippine Army in late 1941 before the war started and had one PS soldier with us in the Mindanao guerrillas. Unfortunately, I don't recall any of their names which keeps me from ever finding out what happened to them.
       I've been intending to ask you about an American officer who served with the Scouts. He and I were together for several months with the Philippine Commonwealth Army in Panay, training what was to become the 2nd Bn of the 61st Infantry. His name was Capt. Pete VanNostrand from the 26th Cavalry. A West Point graduate and also a graduate of the equestrian course at the Fort Riley, KS, Cavalry School he was a master horseman. A great guy whose company I enjoyed. When the battalions of the 61st Inf Regt were brought together for the first time under a colonel just arrived from the States, Van was made the Regimental exec and I got promoted and inherited the 2nd Bn. Our divsion, the 81st, was sent to Mindanao shortly after the start of the war and Van was transferred out of the 61st to another outfit and I never saw him again but he surrendered and was killed in the bombing of the Oryoku Maru just outside Manila Bay when the Japs were attempting to send the POWs to Japan. I've often wondered if anyone still remembers him from the 26th Cavalry and could offer some comments about him while he was in the 26th.      Clyde Childress

(Posted by Editor.)

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Capt. Pete VanNostrand, 26th Cavalry(PS)
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2005, 1:53pm

I never knew Van Nostrand Personally but when he was detached from the Regiment I had arrived and inherited his horse, Brynn Awryn, a picture of which is in my book. I understood he had been promoted to Major but I don't have personal knowledge of that.

There are only three of us officers of the 26th Cavalry Regt. (PS) left alive to my knowledge. One is retired Col. Tom Jones, formerly of C Troop, and the other is retired Col. William Chandler, who was the Regimental S2/S3 before and during the war. He probably knew Van Nostrand. I am not in contact with Chandler but I understand he lives in San Antonio and is in his late 90's. Childress could possibly track him down or I believe Tom Jones may have Chandler's address.

Regards

Ed Ramsey

Lt. Col. Ed Ramsey (then a Lieutenant) led the last U.S. Army cavalry charge on that horse during the early days of the fighting on Bataan.  Later the 26th was forced to eat their mounts to stave off starvation.  Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Capt. Pete VanNostrand, 26th Cavalry(PS)
Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2005, 1:58pm

The following was contributed by Col. Mel Rosen, a former Philippine Scout artillery officer:

Van was in the USMA Class of 1934.  He was killed in the bombing of the Enoura Maru--9Jan45.  Mel

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print