Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alfredo Tirante, 26th Cavalry (PS) (Read 5968 times)
kailanib
YaBB Newbies

California
Alfredo Tirante, 26th Cavalry (PS)
Jan 19th, 2005, 2:00pm

Hi, My name is Kailani and I am looking for information regarding my grandfather, Alfredo Tirante. The only information that I was able to get was that he was in the Phililppine Scouts from 1932 to 1941 when was shot by Japanese during WWII. His birthdate is February 22, 1915. His wife's name was Silvestra Tirante (I think they lived in La Union) and had a one month old daughter when he died (my mother, Laura Tirante). Since my mother was very young and the subject was too painful for my grandmother to speak about, we never heard anything about him except he fought along side the US and was in the Cavalry. The only memoir we have to prove his existance is his Purple Heart the US Military gave to my grandmother when he died. Please let me know if any of you remember him or if you can give me any advise on how to track down his military history. Thank you. Embarrassed

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2005, 5:35pm by Editor-at-Large »  
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Alfredo Tirante
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2005, 9:54pm

Your grandfather probably in the 26th Cavalry.  We have some 26th Cavalry veterans with our organization, so perhaps one of them might recognize his name.  You will also note a bibliography of books and articles on the Philippine Scouts and WWII midway down the “Exchange” page of our website.  Most of the books are available through libraries and some can be ordered through our website.  The American Historical Collection in the Rizal Library at Ateneo de Manila University in the Philippines also has a large collection on that period, including information on the 26th Cavalry Regt.  You will find information on and a linkage to this collection   on the “Exchange” page.  Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
kailanib
YaBB Newbies

California
Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2005, 12:29pm

Thank you so much for that information. I am now looking up the 26 calvalry reg and trying to track his military history from there as well. I contacted the NARA as well and they are sending me a copy of his military file. The only confusion in this whole thing is that they report that his "body" is in Hawaii. He was from Philippines. Do you have any idea why they would have sent his body to Hawaii?

IP Logged
Linda Depper

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2005, 12:26pm

He was most likely sent to Hawaii for internment at the National Cemetery of the Pacific.  You might also try to find additional information on www.militaryusa.com
Search the WWII Memorial.  Good luck.

IP Logged
George A. Rummel

Re: Alfredo Tirante, 26th Cavalry (PS)
Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2005, 3:04pm

Your grandfather as of the last roster report Dec.1941 has him listed as a Pfc (Private first class) in Troop F, 2nd Squadron. The Troop commander was Capt.Paul H. Wrinkle. Hope this is some help.

IP Logged
George A. Rummel

Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2005, 3:23pm

Did a little more digging and came up with the following,your grandfather's Army Serial number was   6739385, this could be helpfull for further research. Also he enlisted Oct. 7, 1940 for 4 years and already had 4 years of service. I'll keep looking.

IP Logged
Kailani Budano

Reply #6 - Mar 7th, 2005, 3:04pm

Thank you so much!

My search came to a standstill a while ago so this information that you have been finding for me has given me more hope in finding out more about my grandfather.

Thank you for keeping me posted.....

IP Logged
Robersabel
YaBB Newbies

Arizona
Reply #7 - May 5th, 2010, 12:13pm

Kailani,

Please be advised your grandfather should have been posthumously awarded numerous awards, and decorations. He was assigned to the 26th Cavalry Regiment.  Do you have documentation revealing such?

To process the paperwork, the next of kin is authorized to begin the procedure, spouse, child, etc..

(Attempted to send an email letter, but was returned).

Regards,
Robert E. Johnson
Robersabel@aol.com

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print