Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Filipino officers in the Philippine Scouts (Read 3994 times)
Jeanny
YaBB Newbies

Filipino officers in the Philippine Scouts
Jan 09th, 2005, 6:38am

Hi! I'm Jean Claudine Pagsibigan, 20, from the Philippines. My grandfather is a WWII vet and is one of those who fought the war in Bataan. According to him, he was integrated into the Philippine Scouts during the war. I would like to know if my grandfarther, Antonio G. Pagsibigan,Sr., was listed under any regiment of the Philippine Scouts. He is 87 years old and lives ith us in the Philippines. I saw some of his military records and it is stated there that he has the rank of major as the war ended. Please, if ever you have a complete list, kindly mail it to me. I'm working to complete his documents in  order to prove that he is under USAFFE and he deserves to receive benefits for war veterans.

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Filipino officers in the Philippine Scouts
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2005, 8:39am

Almost all Fillipino officers were in the Philippine Army; however, a small number, some sources say 26, were in the Philippine Scouts.  

It would be very helpful if you could provide additional information, such as his service number and in what unit or at least in what type of unit (infantry, artillery, cavalry) did he serve.  There is a Veterans Affairs office in the U.S. Embassy that may be able to help you, especially if you can provide further information.  Please place any additional information you can provide on the website message board.

Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2005, 4:03am

Hi. This is Jean Claudine Pagsibigan, again. I happened to have searched the old files of my grandfather, Antonio G. Pagsbigan, Sr., and found out that his service number is 0-28505 Inf. In 1941, he was inducted as private of the 57th Infantry Division Service Company of the U.S. Army based in Pampanga. In Sept. 16, 1943, he was ranked captain (F-22A) and was a recognized guerilla belonging to B Company 1st Batallion 69th Infantry Regiment Bulacan District until June 30, 1944. From Feb. 3, 1945 to Feb. 2, 1946, he was ranked major under the same organization but with the unit Dist. Hq. & Spl Tps BMD ECLGA. According to him the ECLGA or the East Central Luzon Guerilla Army was headed by Col. Edwin P. Ramsey.  
With regard to my recent query, I would like to ask again if he was listed under the 57th Infantry Division Service Company or if the organization or unit is part of the entire USAFFE. I am hoping for your positive response. Thank you.

From this information, it certainly sounds as if your grandfather was a Philippine Scout who was promoted to an officer while a guerrilla.  Col. Ramsey is still living, as are several members of the 57th Infantry (PS).  Perhaps one of them can weigh in on this.   Editor.

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2005, 8:58pm

Re this inquiry.  I have no information on members of the 57th Infantry, but my guess is that Pagsibigan was with the 57th Infantry Regiment (PS) during Bataan and after the surrender, later joined the Guerilla Forces. There was no 57th Infantry Division. John Olson might have some input.

However, I had four Regiments of Guerillas in Bulacan, as the Bulacan Military District until late 1943, when due to a conflict with Bernard Andersons and his effort to take over command of ECLGA, Col. Alejo Santos, who was part of my outfit, came to me and decided he didn't want to be in the middle of a feud between Anderson and me and would become independant as the Bulacan Military Area. I had no problem with that as Alejo had been one of my stalwarts and had headed the BMD in the early days and was a  very good man. Two of the Regiments went with him and two stayed as part of my Bulucan Military District, which I put under Col. Fausto Alberto who was part of the ECLGA in the beginning in May of 1942. They were with the BMD and were active through the liberation of Luzon. As a footnote, Alejo Santos later became the Secretary of Defense, was always a close friend and I spoke at his funeral in Bulacan.

I have none of the records, but the Filipino Guerilla Veterans Affairs organization had records of most of the Recognized Guerilla organizations. I don't know what ever happened to that organization but it could pobably be tracked down through the Philippine Defense Department. There is nothing more I can do for this man as I don't remember his grandfather, since I had some 40,000 men in the ECLGA at the end.

Ed Ramsey

Col. Ramsey headed the ECLGA.  Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
John Aventino

Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2005, 11:42am

Jose V. Aventino is my grandfather.  He was in 2nd BN, 57th infantry regiment.  He died a decade ago (9 September 1990).  I just wanted to know if anyone alive still knows him.  I wanted to know the story during WWII.   When he was alive, he would tell us stories.  I don't remember those stories anymore.  I just wanted to know from you if you could re-live those stories for me.

Regards,

John Aventino
forbiddenboulder@yahoo.com

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print