Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Louis Nathaniel Dosh, 57th Inf. (PS) (Read 4663 times)
Bathny
YaBB Newbies

Georgia
Louis Nathaniel Dosh, 57th Inf. (PS)
Jan 5th, 2005, 10:31pm

Sirs, I really have enjoyed viewing you site. Its been very informative and is set up very user friendly. My name is Peter Knepton and I am a historian living in Savannah, Georgia. I collect military items so I can research them and hope to learn about the person and the role he or she played during the wartime. I recently got a diploma from West Point named to Louis Nathaniel Dosh. He graduated in 1938 and I know he served in the U.S.Army until his death in 1945. I know he served in the 57th Infantry Regiment Philippine Scouts, Philippine Division and surrendered to Japanese forces on Bataan in 1942. I was wondering if anyone in your organization would have a photograph of Captain Dosh or information about how he operated and how he died. I know the Japanese prisoner camps where brutal but some of the information I can find suggested that he survived and possibly died aboard a hospital ship in 1945. So any information would be appreciated. And if someone does have a photograph, I would pay to have a copy made and sent to me. Thank you for your time.  

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2005, 5:38pm by Editor-at-Large »  

Peter Knepton
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Louis Nathaniel Dosh
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2005, 11:24pm

Col. John Olson has a picture of Louis Dosh, page 17, and in a group picture on page 210 "Anywhere-Anytime. He was with my father on the escape out of Bataan, which I chronicle in my book. He surrendered to  the Japanese with Bill Fassoth and went to Cabanatuan and then was put on the Oryoku Maru Hell Ship for Japan and died when the vessel was sank on January 20, 1945.  Tell Peter Knepton that I would also like any information on Louis Dosh, also if he has any contact with Dosh's family I would certainly like for them to know what an outstanding officer and man he modeled for all he came into contact. My father and Nano Lucero thought the world of him.  

Contributed by Malcolm Decker, author of "On a Mountainside: The 155th Provisional Guerrilla Battalion Against the Japanese on Luzon", which is reviewed on our website.  Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2005, 11:38pm

Capt. Louis Nathaniel Dosh, USMA '38, was born in FL, served in the 2/57th. died on the ENOURA MARU 20 Jan 45. He was 29.

This was contributed by Col. Mel Rosen, a retired Philippine Scout officer.  Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2005, 8:30pm

As the Adjutant of the 57th Infantry (PS) I knew Lou Dosh quite well. If you would like complete details of his exposure during the war in the Philippines and the subsequent POW environment that he lived in during the Bataan Death March and his stay in the O'Donnell Prison camp, I suggest that you might like two books that I  have written:
   ANYWHERE-ANYTIME, History of the 57th Infantry (PS). (Contains photo of Dosh)
   O'DONNELL, ANDERSONVILLE OF THE PACIFIC.
   The prices are $17.00 each, which includes postage and handling.
  I will be glad to answer questions.
 With kindest regards,
  Col (Ret) John E. Olson
  The Towers, #510
  San Antonio, TX 78209

Col. Olson also may be contacted at JOTOE@webtv.net.  Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Chris Schaefer

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2005, 3:19pm

I have several notes about Lt./Capt. Louis Dosh from research on my book, "Bataan Diary."  Apparently, Dosh was a well respected young officer, as several people have asked during interviews if I knew what happened to him.  Here is what I have:

He graduated from West Point, got married in what was reputed to be a big society wedding, and was sent off to the Philippines and the 57th Infantry, PS, sometime in 1940.  In October 1941, as the military in the Philippines was being built up, he was promoted to Captain and considered for transfer to the Philippine Constabulary as an instructor, but I don't know if that happened or not.

On April 9, 1942, when General King surrendered the USAFFE army on Bataan to the Japanese, Capt. Dosh refused to surrender, evaded the Japanese, and took off into the jungle, possibly with Col. Brokaw and/or Lt. Chapin.  By mid-May, he was hiding out on Mt. Natib with a larger group that included Brokaw, Chapin, Sgts Doyle Decker, Nano Lucero and Red Wolf, Cpl. Andy Roskoff, and several others.  After one of the men in this camp died and another went down the mountain to surrender, the remaining men made thier way to the Fassoths' Camp, arriving there on June 6, 1942.

Things did not go real well at Fassoths' Camp.  Some of the officers there wanted to turn the camp into a guerrilla base, while most of the enlisted men felt that they were all just refugees and that to try to continue fighting the Japanese was futile.  It appears that some group within the camp wanted to put the respected Dosh in charge and have him resolve the issue.  Martin Fassoth, however, said that it was his camp, he was in charge, and there would be no guerrilla activities there.

Shortly after that, in August, 1942, Col. Gyles Merrill ordered that all of the officers in Fassoths' Camp come join him at the Jingco sisters' plantation near Natividad, Pampanga.  On August 31, Captains Bell, Dosh and Newman left the Jingco Plantation, and I do not know what happened to Dosh over the next year.  Captain Bell joined Lt. Col. Claude Thorp on Mt. Pinatubo and became a guerrilla organizer for Thorp.  Bell was killed in a dispute with a Filipino guerrilla (possibly a Huk) in 1943, and Thorp was eventually captured by the Japanese and executed.

At some point Dosh returned to the Fassoths' Camp, and was there with Lt. (Dr.) Worschel and three other Americans when the Fassoth brothers decided to surrender on April 6, 1943.  He was reportedly taken to Fort Santiago in Manila, where he was tortured and accused of being a guerrilla.  In July of 1943 he was transferred to Cabanatuan.  While he was in Cabanatuan, a Filipina nurse who had been part of Thorp's organization smuggled at least one letter to him.

When the Japanese transferred the prisoners from Cabanatuan to Japan in December 1944, Capt. Dosh died on a torpedoed ship.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print