Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Captain William C. Anderson Jr. "Andy", 57th Inf. (Read 2888 times)
melseman
YaBB Newbies

Captain William C. Anderson Jr. "Andy", 57th Inf.
Dec 5th, 2004, 4:35pm

I am looking for information on my Uncle Captain William C. Anderson, Jr..  He was a member of the 57th Infantry PS Co. F., and his friends called him Andy.  He perished on the Enoura Maru on Jan. 20, 1945.  

While in the Phillipines, he had a girlfriend, Lani Carr, who was the daughter of Col. Ernest J. Carr.  I have pictures of them together while in the Phillipines, and correspondence from Col. Carr and his wife to my grandparents.  I would like to know if anyone remembers Lani or Col. Carr and might know if Lani is still alive, etc.?

I want to know more about my uncle, and am aware of him being mentioned and a photo of him in Mr. Olsen's book.   If anyone has any knowledge of hiim, please respond to this or feel free to e-mail me at melseman1107@yahoo.com

« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2005, 4:06pm by Editor-at-Large »  
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Captain William C. Anderson Jr. "Andy&quo
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2004, 2:32pm

I knew Andy quite well. My history of the 57th Infantry (PS) "Anywhere-Anytime" as you noted had a photo and numerous references to his envolvement in combat.

My history of the Camp O'Donnell POW Camp will give you a detailed account of what Andy went through on the March and until he was sent to Cabanatuan POW Camp.  I did not see him after he left Cabantuan.

If you would like a copy of the O'Donnell book and/or "The Guerrilla and the Hostage", which will cover both camps, they are available from me.

I will be glad to answer any questions and supply copies of photos if you will give me your mail address.
Books are $15.00 and $17.00 respectively.
That includes postage and handling.

With kindest regards,

John E. Olson, Historian,PhilippineScouts  Col (Ret) US Army The Towers, #510 San Antonio, TX 78209

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Mark Kelso

Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2004, 6:30pm

If your uncle passed away on 1/20/45 he died on the Brazil maru not the Enoura Maru. The Enoura Maru was abandoned on January 13th after the January 9th bombing.

Mark Kelso
http://www.oryokumaru.net

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2004, 11:06am

Col. John Olson, a retired 57th Infantry officer, knew Capt. Anderson well and has information and photos of him.  Unfortunately Col. Olson has been unable to successfully send you an e-mail.  Please contact him at JOTOE@webtv.net and supply an address to which he can mail material.

Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print