Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
76th Ord Ammo Co (PS) (Read 14395 times)
Aniceto I. Bagley

76th Ord Ammo Co (PS)
Nov 02nd, 2004, 11:43pm

This is to inform former members of the 76th Ord Ammo Co (PS) which was on Saipan from 1947 to 1948 that a former CO, then Capt Forrest R. Spiva, died in Huntsville, Alabama on October 2, 2004.  Spiva retired from the US Army as a Lt Col in Huntsville in 1966.  On Saipan, Spiva was CO of the 76th Ord and also commander of the Ammunition Depot.  He directed the inspection, classification and disposal of thousands of tons of ammunition that had been left on the island in open storage and in the ammunition depot.  The workforce was provided by the 76th Ord Ammo Co (PS) under the supervision of the Depot Operations NCO, 1st Sgt Alfonso Magbual.

Other officers who served as CO after Spiva were Capt Rafael Arengo, lst Lt Tom Pate and Capt Manuel Martinez.

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: 76th Ord Ammo Co (PS)
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2004, 8:10pm

Below are more details on Lt. Col. Spiva.  Editor

Forrest Robert "Bob" Spiva    

Retired Lt. Col. Forrest Robert "Bob" Spiva, 83, of Huntsville died Oct.2, 2004. Born in Oklahoma City, Okla., Bob served 28 years in the U.S. Army, including the 104th Infantry Division during World War II and the Korean War. Bob was one of the first members of the EOD Cooperative, bringing all branches of the U.S. Armed Forces together for the orchestration of bomb disposal in 1951. Bob moved to Huntsville with the Sergeant Project Office at Redstone Arsenal and retired in 1966. He then worked with the Raytheon Co. and later went into real estate in 1973. He was a member of the American Legion Post 237, VFW Post 5162, and past president of the Exchange Club of Greater Huntsville. He did much work with the Fourth of July Program benefiting the prevention of child abuse. During his tenure as director of Huntsville Hospital Hospitality House, they purchased their first house to help families with loved ones in the hospital to have a place to stay. He was a Certified Flight Instructor and taught at Redstone and North Huntsville airports. He is survived by his wife, Judy P. "Breezy" Spiva of Huntsville; two sons, Robert Spiva of Reno, Nev., and Jeffery Spiva of Huntsville; three daughters, Sharon Robinson of Santa Paula, Calif., Patricia Spiva of Sand Point, Idaho, and Judy Cleve of Huntsville; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
ALFONSO
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2005, 9:18am

My grandfather is the late Sgt.Alfonso S.Magbual,a Korean War veteran.Is he the same 1st Sgt.Alfonso Magbual mentioned?
How I wish to know about my grandfather's military history.The stories I heard from my late father is that my grandpa evacuated back from Korea and died in the Phil.

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2005, 1:25pm

The "Reference" page of our PSHS website contains the following advice:

"Department of Veterans Affairs

"For information on the military records of veterans you may write or call the Veterans Administration ((800) 827-1000 in the U.S.) and ask for a VA Form SF 180 (Request Pertaining to Military Records).

"You also may be able to get a copy of your relative's military records by writing to:
National Personnel Records Center
9700 Page Road
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

"State your relationship, and tell them that he is deceased. Give them as much of the following as you can: full name, birth date, death date, branch of military service (Philippine Scouts are "Army"), service number, SSN, service entry date, date left service, rank, unit served with in Philippines. Ask them to send his complete "201" file, including qualifications, promotions, assignments and decorations. State briefly why you want the information. Give your address and telephone number. Allow about eight weeks for a reply."

Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
aibagley
YaBB Newbies

Alabama
Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2005, 12:08am

1st Sgt Alfonso Magbual was in the 76th Ord when we left the Philippines and stayed with the unit until he was sent back for discharge ion 1948.  Interestingly, he and I were both 1st Sgts.  I had date of rank on him by a few days so I was made the Company First Sergeant and Magbual was the Operations Sgt.

If I remember correctly, he was an "Old Scout" who had left the service before WWII started and was not able to get US citizenship when the war ended.  He reenlisted in the "New Scouts" and that is where I met him.

Was he in Korea as a US soldier or Philippine Army?  A lot of us "New Scouts" joined the PA after discharge from the PS.

Sgt Magbual's PS serial number was 6610477.  That might help you find more information about him.

I would like to hear more about my friend after he left the 76th Ord on Saipan.

aibagley
  IP Logged
ALFONSO
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2005, 9:13am

My grandfather served the US Army in Korea,died in 1953 or 1954 & buried in Batangas City.I am his eldest grandchild & my name is also Alfonso Magbual.I reached this success because of him.My childhood & my education was fully financed by my late grandmother thru her monthly pension.I am here in Abu Dhabi & working as an engineer.
Thank you very much,Mr.Aniceto Bagley for giving his PS serial no.

IP Logged
aibagley
YaBB Newbies

Alabama
Reply #6 - Nov 29th, 2005, 11:02am

I'm glad to hear that "Pops" was able to maintain his connection with the US Army.  The serial number I gave you should have carried through in his later service.

As I said before, I would be very interested to hear of his experiences after he left us on Saipan.

aibagley
  IP Logged
ejamolo
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2007, 1:49am

I am Eliseo I. Jamolo, Jr. and the son of Eliseo Jamolo a Philippine Scout of the 76th Ord Ammo Co (PS) which is in the picture of your web site "Philippine Scouts in the Late 1940s", my father died last January 21, 1980 and was recognized by the Philippine Veterans Affairs Office, prior to his death he made communication with the US Veterans Office but his name was not in their list. Is the 76th Ord Ammo Co (PS) recognized by the US government? My mother is still alive and she would like to know about this. Thanks..its a great honor for me to see my father in the web site of the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society.

IP Logged
aibagley
YaBB Newbies

Alabama
Reply #8 - Jan 19th, 2007, 9:18pm

Dear Eliseo,

I was First Sergeant of the 76th Ord Ammo Co (PS) in 1947 and 1948.  Your father and I were good friends, both of us being from Iloilo province.  We had several men in the unit from Iloilo as you saw by that picture on the PSHS web site.  I was fortunate to visit "Moling" when I visited Iloilo in 1972.  As I remember, we spent the night over a case of San Miguel reminiscing of the days on Saipan.  But my memory is fading and sometimes I can't tell memories from imagination.  I think your father was head of a Merchant Marine academy or something like that.  I sent him some information after I returned to the States but I never heard from him again.  I'm sorry to hear that he passed away so long ago.

The 76th Ord Ammo Co (PS) must certainly be listed in the Army archives.  I never had to establish that fact since I was able to join the US Army after my discharge from the PS.  I retired after serving 30 years, including my 3 years in the PS which counted.  If it will help any, your father's serial number was 10 319 629 but you may already have that.  The PSHS web site provides links to the US Department of Veterans Affairs and other agencies that may be helpful to your mother.  However, I'm afraid that not much can be done now.  At the present time, to my knowledge, USAFFE veterans and New Scouts still are generally not eligible for US veterans benefits.

Keep in touch and by all means, if you know of other former members of the 76th Ord Ammo Co (PS), please let me know.

Sincerely,

Aniceto I. Bagley

aibagley
  IP Logged
nathan
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - Sep 3rd, 2007, 3:29pm

Dear Mr. Bagley,

Thank you very much for your info about my father Lino Zipagan PS10 307 649 Private First Class 76th Ordnance Am Co. (PS) APO 1009, discharged December 31, 1948, passed away at the age of 70 in the Philipines and was a retired high school head teacher.

You've mentioned that my father was on the roster of the 76th Ord Ammo Co. (PS) when you left Sub Base "R", APO 1009 in Lipa, Batangas in early 1947 destined for Saipan, APO 244 in the Marianas and that he was one of about 200 men in the company and you were their First Sergeant.

If anybody else from the about 200 men in the company is still alive, i will be happy to be informed of their existence and would like to interact with them or perhaps their descendants.

Regards and God bless.

IP Logged
Wailuna
YaBB Newbies

Old Soldier

Hawaii
Reply #10 - Jul 19th, 2009, 1:19am

Does anyone know anything about Scout Joel Bais, who was a member of 76th Ordnance Ammunition Co. (PS), stationed on Saipan in the late 1940s?  He is believed to have been from Fabrica, Negros Occidental.  

IP Logged
aibagley
YaBB Newbies

Alabama
Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2009, 7:26pm

While in the 76th Ord Ammo Co (PS), Joel and I were good friends, both of us being Ilongos.  However, I never heard from him after I left Saipan in 1948.

aibagley
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print