Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Childhood 8 yr old (Read 6854 times)
Alfred J Thorpe

Childhood 8 yr old
Aug 30th, 2004, 10:18pm

We lived at quarters #7, Ft Wm McKinley, most of 1938 and 1939.  The 57th Infantry panorama (shown on this website) of the regiment showed, in the background, our family car: a 1936 Chevrolet 4 door sedan parked in front of our quarters.  I was 7-8 years old.  My father was the post finance officer.  I remember the names of the three servants in our household: Salvario, houseboy;  Simplicio, cook; Concepcion, lavendara.  We had moved there from Ft Mills, on Corregidor.  We returned to the States in 1939, following the death of my father, on the USAT US Grant.

IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Re: Childhood 8 yr old
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2005, 9:03pm

Hi, Please add to your story - - I would love to hear more details of your childhood memories. What do you remember of things like your home, the grounds, who your neighbors were ... what did you do with your time when you lived at Ft Mills and McKinley? Where did you play, go to school, did you get out and around the "outside" community?

WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Kit Hope
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2008, 5:31pm

You might have gone to school with my mother. While my grandfather was the adjutant for the 31st Infantry (I think the office was in Intramuros), she attended American School on Gral. Luna from '36 to '39. I went there (same school, different location) in '68 and '69.

Kit Hope

IP Logged
jtboyt
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2008, 9:32pm

My father was assigned to the 31st Inf in late 1938 - where he later met my mother, Josephine Stewart, a senior in high school in the area. Her father was assigned to the 45th Inf (PS). We have pictures from her albums - but do not know who the people are.

IP Logged
Kit Hope
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2008, 10:42pm

To jtboyt - if your mother had a yearbook from AS, check and see if Senorita Maria Luisa Martinez is listed as a teacher. She started teaching at AS in, like, 1929 and was still there when I went there in '68 and '69. The only reason she wasn't interned with the rest of the faculty in Santo Tomas was that she had gone home to Spain for a while to be with her family because of the Spanish Civil War.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print