Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lt. Col. Bienvenido Mobo Alba, 5th MP Bn (PS) (Read 4704 times)
Alba-Swanson
YaBB Newbies

Lt. Col. Bienvenido Mobo Alba, 5th MP Bn (PS)
Aug 5th, 2004, 12:40am

I am trying to write a history of my grandfather who had an amazing life.  He was one of 5 PS to attend American military schools in the 1920's, returned to the Philippines, taught Marcos, survived the Death March, was captured again, contained in POW camp then freed by a freak accident.  Bienvenido Mobo Alba was born in Banga, Capiz.  Thanks.

« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2005, 3:16pm by Editor-at-Large »  
  IP Logged
Pete Sarmiento

Re: Lt. Col. Bienvenido Mobo Alba
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2004, 10:16am

Hello!

Amazing world. I had met your grandpa when he was
commander of the 5th MP Bn (PS) at Baclaran, Paranaque, Rizal after the WWII. My late father was one his company commander. I also had talk to your Dad and Grandma when the Bn. had their get together.
I know that your Grandpa was a tall man and "Amerikano". Is you father still alive? There is a photograph of the 5th MP Bn. at the National Archives in Washington, DC.
I'll have to check some of pictures of my late Father's photo album and see what I could find with your Lolo's picture. Where do you live now?

Pete Sarmiento

IP Logged
Wayne H. Alba

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2004, 12:32am

Pete,
Saw your communication with my daughter re: my father, Bienvenido M. Alba. I also notice the absence of many Pilipino officers in the Scouts on the website. Interesting.
My father passed away many years ago and is buried at the Golden Gate National Cemetery south of San Francisco.      
Hope all is well with you.
Wayne H. Alba

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2004, 7:16am

At the beginning of hostilities, Gen. MacArthur had 31,095 troops, 2,504 of whom were commissioned officers.  Only 31 of these officers were Filipino.*  These 31 and around 900 American officers were assigned to the Philippine Scouts.

Several years following WWII, when the Philippine Scouts were disbanded, most of the approximately 6,000 surviving "original" Scouts were integrated into other American units.  An unknown number of these former Scouts eventually became officers.

Editor

*Figures taken from U.S. Army in World War II: The Fall of the Philippines by Louis Morton, p. 49.

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
EC Olivares
YaBB Newbies

Monroe, VA
Re: Lt. Col. Bienvenido Mobo Alba, 5th MP Bn (PS)
Reply #4 - Aug 7th, 2009, 8:24pm

Hello! I am the son of COL Jose Olivares, USNA 1923, commissioned in the Philippine Scouts, and a friend of LTC Alba. I believe that Dad and LTC Alba were in the Philippine Scout Group in San Francisco in the time frame 1953-1956. I only know of LTC Alba from my mother and dad's conversations, although I am certain that I met him and his wife along with other Scout Officers when I was a child. I was born in the Post hospital, Sterenberg, on Ft. Mills in Corregidor. I remember a little bit while living in Middleside Officers Housing in 1939-1941, and have memories of traveling from Manila to Corregidor by steamer a number of times after visiting relatives in the city. Have you taken a look at the photos (Historical Photos of Scouts). The webmaster has posted a photo that I sent that includes many Scout officers and wives on the occasion of a welcome home party at the Army Navy Club in Manila for Mrs. Vicente Lim (gen Vicente Lim's widow). I believe that LTC Alba is one of the officers in the photo. If I am correct, i would be happy to send you a copy of the photo either by snail mail or as an email attachment. my email address is "edward.olivares1@gmail.com".
You may also want to view my posting regarding my father. Regards, Ed Olivares USMA 1957

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print