Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Igorots as Scouts (Read 4604 times)
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Igorots as Scouts
Jul 30th, 2004, 12:32pm

The following comment was contributed by Fred Foz, a former Philippine Scout and veteran of WWII.  It contradicts earlier information that Igorots, while scattered through the 11th Division, were never formed into their own units.  Editor

Mike: First Bn, 45th Inf. PS, Co. A and B personnel were recruited among the Igorots in Baguio , northern Luzon, while Co. C and D were recruited in Pettit Barracks in Zamboanga and most of them were Muslims.

Our 45th Inf. Regt. PS fought in Bataan Campaign was the 2nd Bn where I was assigned and 3rd Bn, 45th PS commanded by Major Dudley Strickler fought with us in Abucay and the west coast of the Peninsula called the Points namely, Aglaloma Point, Anyasan Point, Paysawan Point, the Caves and Bobo Points.

I have not met any Muslim who reach the USA after the war. But I met a few Igorots in SF where I settled since 1950.

When the llth Division was organized commanded by Bgen Fidel Segundo of USMA Cl'32 most of the key personnel from A and B Cos from Baguio were assigned with the llth Division. They were cut off and they were became guerillas in the northern part of Luzon mostly in the Cordillera Mts.until the liberation in 1945.

Regards,

Fred Foz

fredfoz@earthlink.net

« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2004, 3:20pm by Editor-at-Large »  

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Igorots as Scouts
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2004, 9:52am

Men of the llth Divison were recruited in the concentration camp as BC (bureau of constabulary) to help the enemy pacify the region. One of them was at the Jap garrison in my hometown Dingras. That raid was practically an inside job wherein Sgt Guillen killed all officers getting out of the officers qtrs. A week before we raided the garrison on Feb. 8, 1944, I sneaked into Laoag to try to convince BGen. Segundo save himself to no avail. When the remaining enemy force joined Gen. Yamashita in Cagayan Valley they massacred all the veterans including Gen. Segundo and his family, Maj. Felicano Madamba and many others -applying the scorthed earth policy leaving no one alive in their path.

Well, that s a part of the war=the big war.

fredfoz
fredfoz@earthlink.net

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Igorots as Scouts
Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2004, 6:22am

There now are three photos of Igorot Scouts and Constabulary on our website courtesy of the American Historical Collection in the Rizal Libarary of Ateneo de Manila University.

Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print