Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
for All Scouts and Guerillas, a bouquet of thanks (Read 4083 times)
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
for All Scouts and Guerillas, a bouquet of thanks
Jul 15th, 2004, 7:33pm

FLOWERS FOR THE LIVING

Mother was an Angel; she said “There, but by the grace of God, go you and I,” and “Flowers to the living are worth more than flowers to the dead.” She was an advocate of telling people the things about themselves which we hold in secret, until they are dead.

Flowers for the Living.

In Mother’s tradition, I want to tell you all that I am very grateful to you for what you have given to me. You bought my life, the lives of my two children, and my first grandchild who is expected in the fall. It is an awesome feeling which knowledge brings that there, but by the grace of God, given through you, to me, I would never have been born.

What were the chances of me being here, if it were not for all of you? By your actions, you made sure my mother was liberated from Santo Tomas. You made sure she could still take care of the sick and wounded. You prepared the way for MacArthur’s return.

My father came with G Trp, 2nd Sqdn,  8th Cav Reg, 1st Cav Div: the second serial of the Flying Column, Lt.Col. Haskett “Hack” L. Connor, Jr, commanding with Company B 44th Tank Bn., attached, the first serial to enter Santo Tomas. Dad lay bleeding from the loss of his lower leg, unconscious, in the street at the battle at Far Eastern University. He was rescued and taken to Santo Tomas where my mother was one of his nurses.

Here I am, because you all prepared the way, opened the door and placed your foot in the doorway, and then you held it open for Mom and Dad to pass through. I have my life as a gift from you, and “Thank You” looks to be so tiny an offering placed beside your gift.

Written Sunday, 23 May 2004, Inspired by 1Lt Frankie T. Lewey, USANC ret (1910-1987) POW at STIC and 1Lt Francis A. Jerrett, USA, ret (1916-1985), awarded the Silver Star and Purple Heart for actions, 3 February, 1945. (copyleft) Susan Jerrett Trout. For non-profit use only. If used, credit Susan Jerrett Trout

WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print