Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
List of WWII Scouts (Read 20229 times)
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
List of WWII Scouts
Jun 28th, 2004, 3:26pm

PSHS Historian, Col. (Ret.) John E. Olson has data on the 7th MP Bn (AUS) and 2015th AAA AW Wpns Bn (PS) on awarding of Purple Hearts, Good Conduct Medals and Combat Infantry Badges.  The Purple Heart citations give the date and location where wounded.

Col. Olson also has a complete list of Philippine Scouts serving during WWII.  

His e-mail address is: JOTOE@webtv.net

Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
joelbarrios
YaBB Newbies

Re: List of WWII Scouts
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2006, 2:05am

hi! kindly send us the list of WWII Scouts.  my husband would like to verify the name of his grandfather:  Cornelio Barrios

thanks!

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2006, 9:08am

We do not have a complete list of WWII Philippine Scouts to mail out.  (There were more than 12,000 of them.)  Do you know in what unit or what type of unit (infantry, cavalry, artillery, support) he might have served?  What were his dates of service, rank, home town?  Any additional information that might narrow down the search would be helpful.  A request for information has been sent to our historian, Col. John Olson; however, the lists he has are not in alphabetical order.  Narrowing the search to a particular Scout unit or type of unit would be a huge assist to the process.

Your husband should provide any additional information under his grandfather's name in the "Scouts" section of this message board.  Far more visitors to the site would be likely to see the listing there rather than under the "Awards" category where the present exchange of messages is located.
Editor

« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2006, 3:40pm by Editor-at-Large »  

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2006, 10:20am

Col. Olson confirms that he has been unable to find Cornelio Barrios' name on his lists of Scouts who served during WWII.  Perhaps he served in the Philippine Army.   Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2006, 12:37pm

I have some information from Ancestry.com on Cornelio Barrios.  SSA Death Index Record lists born 28 June 1899 and died October 1968 and he got a California SSN issued after 1956.  Then WWII Army Enlistmment Records shows he was born in the Philippines and they list his state as Montana (this is the 2nd Filipino I have seen listed from Montana)  Enlistment date 15 Sep 1945 and enlistment city Whitefish.  He was a 1st Sgt. in the Army  of the US. and was married.
Source:  Enlisted Man, Philippine Scout or recall to AD of an enlisted man who had been transferred to the ERC.  (This statement has been on every WW II Army Enlisted Records, 1938-1946 Record of a Filipino that I have researched)

Then there is a Calif Birth Index, 1905-1995 Record of a Cornelio Barrios being born in Los Angeles County in 14 Nov 1986.  Probably a relative.

Tom McGeeney     ord510@cox.net

Tom
  IP Logged
Cabantoy
YaBB Newbies

Know when to humble

Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2007, 6:12pm

Is there a website that list this information?  I would like to know if my fathers name can be found on this list.  Also I have been trying to research any medals he should have received while in service.  ( it is my understanding that he was wounded during battle) his information is:
Juan M. Cabantoy
Philippine 1st regiment
On behalf of my Father ,
Juan Malate Cabantoy  39136961
Date of enlistment July 15, 1943

On behalf of my Father ,
Juan Malate Cabantoy 39136961
Date of enlistment July 15, 1943
Kija Cabantoy

"know when to humble"
Juan Malate Cabantoy
  IP Logged
snake284
YaBB Newbies

Port Lavaca, Texas
Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2008, 4:45pm

One thing to remember, Col Olson is over 90 years old now. He did remember my uncle, because they graduated together and went to the Philippines on the same boat, but he didn't remember any particulars about him. With 12000 names and 90 years old, it's asking a lot for him to remember. I have been fishing around for 5 years and haven't found out what I want about my uncle. I think we're both about 10 years too late. But I'm going to keep trying. Maybe somebody will remember him.

in the words of Charlton Heston, "...when they pry it from my cold dead hands!"
  IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2008, 4:24pm

Mike,

This is more or less what we have already talked about, your Uncle.  For others reading this search I am writing this.  I got 2 POW WW II records that give a death date for Capt Grimes as Octoter 16, 1942 and it puts credibility on what Mike's father learned in a bar talking with aCol Binkmeyer.  So you never know where an answere or information will come from.  Basically this information put hope in more information being "out there".

In Army Basic training the Drill Instructor told us you can never surrender as there always is a way.  Where upon a recruit said, what if you have no ammunition, are hungry, wounded.  The DI said YOU HAVE A MIND, TO THINK WITH.  With that you can hope, plan, scheme, etc, etc.  

Of course you can beat that to death, but it brings up, YOU have a MIND as part of your weapons.  And HOPE.  Here is hope more information will come.  But at lease now the family believes what Col Binkmeyer said 50 years ago.  

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
frank

Reply #8 - Jun 13th, 2012, 4:17pm

Who has the list of WW2 Scouts now?

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print