Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Layac Line (Read 6686 times)
Dirigoboy
YaBB Newbies

Layac Line
Jun 16th, 2004, 7:33pm

I'm curious if there are any members out there who served under General Clyde Selleck who commanded the Layac Line on Bataan?
As a small boy he used to take me fishing.  I never knew the story behind his demotion to Colonel until I read a wonderful book, "Bataan, Our Last Ditch" by John W. Whitman.  Very powerful.
I'd be interested in hearing here from anyone who knew him personally or who served under him.
Thanks,
Alan

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Layac Line
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2004, 8:21am

There are numerous citations for BG Selleck in the index of "The Fall of the Philippines: The War in the Pacific" by Louis Morton, which is part of the series on the U.S. Army in WWII published by the U.S. Army's Center of Military History.  MH

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Dirigoboy
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2004, 3:25pm

Thanks.  I'm aware of AMCH and have read pages of it.  I'm more interested in those who may have known General Selleck or served with him.
I do know that he ended up a POW in Manchuria and that photos of him exist.

What I also believe is that Wainwright was impetuous and shortsighted in both relieving and demoting him.   He arrived well after most of the command was established and inherited an unimproved area containing hundreds of yards of beachfront ideally suited to amphibious assault.  Upon taking over he immediately went to work improving it , stringing wire, digging trench lines and all done with a mismash of units and Scouts that spoke several different dialects.

For an artillerymen given an infantrymen's responsibility, who was never fully briefed, who was given a diverse mix of troops, and lacking in resources, General Selleck performed admirably.

Reportedly, Wainwright sacked him for not being aggressive enough.  Selleck was relieved by his replacement with no prior notice and indeed rec'd none until his replacement showed up in his HQ during the attack.  It should be noted that his "successor" fared no better and maybe worse as I believe it took two to replace him.

I would like to see his name cleared, something he spent the rest of his life trying to do.  As an aside, both his son and grandson graduated from West Point as well.
Alan

« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2004, 6:12pm by Dirigoboy »  
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2004, 9:05pm

The following is from the director of the American Historical Collection at Ateneo de Manila University in the Philippines.  A linkage to this collection is available on the PSHS website on the "Resources" page: Editor

The AHC has this monograph :

The war diary of Gen. Clyde Selleck, Commanding General 71st Division, USAFE :the battle for Northern Luzon, the initial phase of the Battle of Bataan. Manila: Historical Conservation Society, 1985. 28 p. :ill.

(From handwritten notes of Gen. Selleck)

Waldette Cueto, Director

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Dirigoboy
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2004, 11:37am

I'm curious.  Would anyone have a good source on-line of photographs of Bataan POW's sent to Manchuria?.  I'd like to see if I could locate some visuals on Gen'l. Selleck while in captivity.
Thanks,
Alan

IP Logged
jerickson
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2004, 5:20pm

Alan,

My father, Albert Erickson, served under Gen Selleck in the 71st Inf PA; however, he died when I was young and never wrote of Gen. Selleck.  I have, however, accumulated a little information relating to Gen. Selleck and the 71st that hasn’t quite settled into the history books.  Briefly, Selleck arrived in Luzon to take over the 71st Inf Division in late Nov 1941.  The ill-trained Filipino soldiers were mostly from Negros and spoke several different dialects.  After the war started the 71st Infantry units were assigned to the 11th Division under Gen. Brougher.  They were reassigned to Selleck shortly before the Lingayen Gulf invasion.  The 71st was routed in the retreat from Lingayen Gulf.  When the shattered units regrouped at the end of Dec, the 71st Inf battalions were transferred to the 91st Division under Gen. Stevens.  They remained with the 91st until the evacuation to Bataan when they were reassigned to Selleck in time to establish the Layac line.  After that action, the 71st and 72nd infantry Battalions were again assigned to the 91st on beach defense on the west coast of Bataan from Bagac to Caibobo point.  Selleck was then assigned to beach defense on the west coast south from Caibobo.  He had the non-combat units of the 71st Division and a “mismash” of other units as you mentioned.  John Whitman’s and Louis Morton’s books have the story after that point.  

I would be delighted to correspond further.  Send me an email.
jerickson@mail.bio.tamu.edu

Jim Erickson

IP Logged
Dirigoboy
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2004, 8:14pm

Thanks for the message Jim, an email is enroute.  Apologizies, it's been a while since I checked in.
Alan

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print