Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lt. Col. Marcus B. Boulware (Read 2954 times)
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Lt. Col. Marcus B. Boulware
Jun 15th, 2004, 9:33am

First, I hope you will forgive me for asking for information that probably has nothing to do with your fine organization.  I don't seem to be having much luck in my search.

My Grandfather was a career Army officer and was stationed in the Philippines at the outbreak of WWII.  He subsequently died at the hands of the Japanese in January of 1945. I have been contacted by someone who had met him at General W. S. Sharp's headquarters on Dec. 8, 1941.  He was under the impression that my Grandfather had been Senior Training Officer for a Philippine Infantry division before the war.  The phrase "81st Infantry"
came up in a letter from another source (that I have lost contact with), but it doesn't say if it was Philippine Infantry, or US troops.  My local library is pitifully inadequate where detailed history of that period is concerned.

My questions to you are:

Do you know if there was an 81st Philippine Infantry?  If so, where were they located and how can I find more information about them? I am interested to know all I can about where they fought and where they lived and of course if my Grandfather was part of that unit.

Again, I realize that the Philippine Scouts were a proud part of the US Army forces and you may not be able to help me at all.  However, I have to try.

Thankyou in advance for any information you can give me.

Sincerely,

Joe Tenison
Ooltewah, TN USA
tenison3@comcast.net

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Lt. Col. Marcus B. Boulware
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2004, 9:34am

Dear Mr. Tenison,

The Visayan-Mindanao Force under Brig. Gen. Sharp included the 81st Division of the Philippine Army.  The HQ Company of the Visayan-Mindanao Force was made up of Philippine Scouts and there were some Scouts helping train the 81st Division.  

"The Fall of the Philippines: The War in the Pacific" by Louis Morton, which is part of the U.S. Army in WWII series has some information on the 81st Division (PA).

I'll circulate your grandfather's name among a group of our Scout researchers.

Sincerely,

Mike Houlahan
PRO & Newsletter Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Mark Kelso

Re: Lt. Col. Marcus B. Boulware
Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2004, 6:26pm

Lt. Col. Marcus Boulware,0010170,INF from South Carolina. d. 1/23/1945 aboard the hellship Brazil Maru. Buried in South China Sea.

If there is anything else I can help you with please let me know.

Mark Kelso
http://www.oryokumaru.net

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print