Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alfred D. McMicking (Read 7401 times)
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Alfred D. McMicking
Jun 09th, 2004, 6:41am

The family is attempting to confirm Alfred D. McMicking's rank and unit for a Bataan Death March marker.  The Philippine Army Office of the Adjutant General does not have his name in their records.  He probably was not a Philippine Scout.  Ed.

My uncle's name:   ALFRED D. McMICKING,
                                   PHILIPPINE ARMY RESERVE
                                   Born in Manila 1916
                                   Died in Manila 1945

We cannot find in our family archives what his rank was but we think he may have been a Lieutenant as he had been in the ROTC at Stanford University. He was with the Philippine Army Reserve, served in Bataan and was allowed to return to his home in Manila after the Death March. Uncle Alfred suffered terribly from malaria all thru the war. He was arrested, imprisoned and killed, along with my mother, grandmother, aunt and family friends, by the Japanese in February, 1945.

Hope this helps....

Connie  chmch@comcast.net

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Alfred D. McMicking
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2004, 7:53am

If he received his commission through ROTC at Stanford, there is a possibility that he has a record at the St Louis repository.

Aniceto I. Bagley
aibagley@juno.com

Stanford also might have a record.  Ed

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2004, 8:12am

Mike,
 I knew McMicking (I'll have to validate this. but am sure this is the man ).
 He was a tall, lean goodlooking prewar cvilian business man.  Family had money in the Baguio gold mines I think. He was a two or three goal polo player, who fraternized with the Army Polo players at Manila and Tamaros clubs.
When war came he was called to active duty-may have had prewar Reserve Commission as 1st Lt and made ADC to General Jones.
 My most vivid memory of him was at the Balanga "reststop". I had come in from Limay in late afternoon. A command car drove up to intersection and Jones and McM stepped out. McM & driver unloaded J's Briefcase and two heavily packed musete bags . Japs let them get rice and soup. The Japs then with the usual grunts and hand signals motioned them to get to the head of the group I was in that had been lined up on the road north pointed toward Abucay.
McM tried to argue with a Jap oficer telling him that Jones was a Major General and should ride. As I recall the Jap with the typical short temper slapped him and ordered him to get the their two bags and move.
Jones tried to remove some things from his bag. but McM put one on each shoulder and took off leading the column. In spite of the load he trudged along but as time passed his trauma increased. Fortunately the sun had set and it became less hot.  Finally after about two hours we halted at Abucay and Jones  took his bag and stripped a number of items and  demanded that McM do same. Thus, they staggered on and finally reached Orani where the Japs had the Generals in a bahay near the PW enclosure. They were driven from there to O'Donnell (See my book).  I hope I can get more.
Regards,
JEO  JOTOE@webtv.net
The information above was contributed by Col. John E. Olson, PSHS Historian and former Scout officer.    The book he refers to is "O'Donnell: Andersonville of the Pacific".  Information on obtaining it is available on our website in the bibliography towards the bottom of the "Exchange" page.  Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Chris Schaefer

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2004, 3:59pm

You may already be aware of this, and I am making the assumption that this is the same McMicking family.  

On 18 July 1947 Lt. Col. Carl Engelhart wrote a letter to a board that had been convened to review services rendered to American POWs during the war.  In it he lists a number of persons who participated in underground efforts to smuggle money, medicine and other supplies into the Japanese prison camps, including the following paragraph.

"MRS. JOSEPH MCMICKING, SR. specialized in the collecting and furnishing of medicines to American prisoners.  She also passed on news gleaned from U.S. radio broadcasts, was caught listening to such a broadcast in January 1944 and was executed by the Japanese.  Last known address of next of kin: Mr. Josph McMicking Jr. 740 Dakota, Manila."

The letter is reprinted in Paul Ashton's book, "Bataan Diary," pages 429-434.

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2004, 5:17pm

The following are excerpts from a message sent by a niece of Lt. McMicking.

Thanks for your information about my uncle Alfred McMicking..I just spoke with my brother Rod Hall who says this IS Uncle Alfred...Rod also has three of the books written by the author who was mentioned in the message....
Thanks for all your help..we deeply appreciate your work and passing on the info about Uncle Alfred...You might have known that Uncle, Joe McMicking, was a member of Gen MacArthur's staff and a third Uncle, Henry McMicking was in the Army Air Corp in Europe.
Connie McHugh

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2004, 6:10pm

Several other members of the extended McMicking family were murdered by the Japanese in a massacre of civilians which took place in Manila's Masonic Temple just before the liberation of that city by American troops.

MH

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print