Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Philippine Scout Uniforms (Read 14488 times)
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Philippine Scout Uniforms
May 27th, 2004, 11:18am

I have just visited your website which I found of great interest.

My name is Philip Jowett and I am a military historian and writer and at the moment I am preparing an illustrated guide to the Allied forces which resisted the Japanese offensive in the Pacific in 1941 - 42.

In the book are coloured plates of the uniforms worn by these forces and I would like to include a figure of a Philippines Scout. Could you possibly help me with information on the uniforms and equipment worn by the Scouts at this time?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
Philip Jowett
Philipjowett@aol.com

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Philippine Scout Uniforms
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2004, 11:22am

Dan Dizon, a Filipino artist, has drawn some very fine colored images of Philippine Scouts in their uniforms.   I don't know what he will charge to allow one of his images to be published.  I believe he sells them to collectors for $35 apiece.  Here is his address:

Daniel Dizon
2 Badjao Road
Villa Gloria
Angeles City 2009
Philippines
danhdizon@yahoo.com

Photos of scouts in uniform are available through the American Historical Collection library, which can be contacted through the Resources page of our website.  I don't know if they have colored images of Scout uniforms.

Newsletter Editor

« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2004, 10:23pm by Editor-at-Large »  

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Victor S. Verano

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2004, 12:14am

I met Dan Dizon at the Reading, PA WWII Weekend event. He was reenacting the 26th Cavalry with his one son. His other son was there as 57th Infantry.

My dad who was visiting from the Philippines was with me and it turned out he and Dan were classmates in the U.P. Fine Arts in Diliman. They recognized each other! Small world.

I will post a link to the pictures I took as soon as I download the from my camera.

-Victor

IP Logged
Victor S. Verano

Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2004, 11:53pm

As promised, here are the photos of Dan Dizon as 26th Cavalry:

http://home.comcast.net/~victor.verano/ww2weekend/ScoutReenactors.htm

Kind Regards,
Victor Verano

IP Logged
Victor S. Verano

Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2004, 1:37pm

Link to the AFP Museum website showing Philippine Scout artworks painted by Dan Dizon:

http://www.geocities.com/afpmuseum/ww2/ww2page.html

IP Logged
Mary Talusan

Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2004, 2:44pm

Dear Heritage Society,

I am writing a paper about Philippine military bands during the American colonial era.  I was wondering if anyone could please verify whether the band in this photo is a Scout Band or a Constabulary band by the looks of the uniform?

Thanks very much, I appreciate your help.

Please view my webpage if the picture does not appear: http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~mtalusan/StLouisBand.bmp

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2004, 1:24pm

PSHS Historian Col. John Olson confirms that the band is wearing Philippine Constabulary uniforms. Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Victor S. Verano

Reply #7 - Nov 14th, 2004, 8:43pm

Came across an interesting item(s) listed on ebay. Tunic of a Lt. H.J. Polla (57th Infantry):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2284249768&ssPageName=ST...

Just in case anyone's interested...

IP Logged
Sgt. Owen

Reply #8 - Jan 17th, 2005, 8:37pm

I am a memeber of a group that re-enacts the 26th Cavalry PS.  I am please to see so many.

IP Logged
CaptJenks
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - May 25th, 2005, 12:06am

there is a mostly complete pre WWII Phil Scouts (officer) uniform on Ebay right now.... starting bid is $125

I'm thinking about bidding, but I know the price will probably go sky high

if you want to see it then do a search on Ebay "pre WWII tropical uniform"

IP Logged
Victor S. Verano

Reply #10 - May 26th, 2005, 8:57am

Go for it. I promise I won't bid (grin). I'd feel uncomfortable wearing this one in a living history or reenactment event though. This set is almost meant to live proudly in a glass display case. Good luck on your bid. Post some more pictures of it if you win it. Thanks.

Victor

IP Logged
CaptJenks
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - May 27th, 2005, 9:45pm

That's what I had in mind..... I'd like to see more uniform displays at the AFP Museum.... so I'm slowly collecting originals to donate.......

for some reason this uniform is missing all the brass.... I also purchased a complete 1920s Constabulary uniform that is missing all the brass insignia and buttons..... weird?  
Last time I was in the phils. I searched high and low with no success for correct buttons, buckles, and collar insignia.
do brass buttons corrode easily in Philippine conditions? or do they just get tossed?

IP Logged
CaptJenks
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - May 27th, 2005, 9:58pm

I just bid on it  Shocked ..... my wife will kill me when she finds out what my max amount is Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print