Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Santo Tomas Internment Camp (Read 64378 times)
ord510

AZ
Re: Santo Tomas Internment Camp
Reply #20 - Dec 26th, 2006, 11:19am

Sue,

I ran across a web page on Ernest Stanley.  On Santo Tomas Web site is a list of people at STIC.  Clicking on the name will bring up that person's page.  Ernest
Stanley has a page with his photo at liberation and an email address for anyone interested in sharing information.  It is"

"hankyspankt@pobox.com".

Regards

Tom

Tom
  IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #21 - Dec 27th, 2006, 1:03am

Sue,

Ran across something about the dates of execution.  Your message on STIC executions, dtd May 23, 2004, a John C Cowper, American, age 65 is listed with the 3 Australians who jumped the wall to get a boat and sail to Australia. All 4 are listed as being executed on February 15, 1942.  Your source is the one that lists it.  AAD has a different date for John C Cowper, it is the same date as the 4 women were executed on, August 28, 1944.

I only bring it up incase you might run across anything on this individual or his circumstances at STIC.  I didn't get anything on him in Ancestry,com, but AAD had him. (?)

Regards,

Tom

Tom
  IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #22 - Dec 27th, 2006, 1:15am

I messed up with my last entry, the one on John C Cowper.  The date of his execution is not the same as the 4 women.  He didn't die August 28, 1944.

I should have looked closely at his death date.  It is December 28, 1943.  The 28 threw me off.

This date still puts some controversy on him being listed with those 3 Australians.  Maybe some more information will pass us by.

Regards,

Tom

Tom
  IP Logged
Innocent_Bystander
YaBB Newbies

Reply #23 - Oct 3rd, 2007, 5:06pm

Did anyone reading this subject know Ivor (Standard Vac. Oil Co.) and wife Maria Butler in Santo Tomas?  Please reply by email to this address: i.i.b@netzero.net.

Innocent Bystander
  IP Logged
Innocent_Bystander
YaBB Newbies

Reply #24 - Oct 3rd, 2007, 5:12pm

email address for Ernest Stanley posted by Tom is not good:
"Remote host said: 550 <hankyspankt@pobox.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown"

Innocent Bystander
  IP Logged
R._Evans
YaBB Newbies

Reply #25 - Mar 14th, 2008, 12:27pm

I am seeking information about Joseph Francis Fletcher
who was in room 104, Santo Tomas Internment Camp.

IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #26 - Mar 16th, 2008, 11:28pm

I have sent your note on to a STIC list that you can get in touch with through this specialized STIC site:  http://www.cnac.org/emilscott/santotomas01.htm

Sue -
Lt Frankie Lewey's daughter
My web link to the left goes to my mom's web page on the STIC site and at the page bottom you can link to  the "Front Page".

WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #27 - May 2nd, 2008, 11:57am

Innocent_Bystander wrote on Oct 3rd, 2007, 5:12pm:
email address for Ernest Stanley posted by Tom is not good:
"Remote host said: 550 <hankyspankt@pobox.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown"
Try changing the T  to a Y  hankyspanky@pobox.com

Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Re: the museum-lost insignia-pin collection
Reply #28 - Aug 10th, 2008, 8:18am

The Seattle Asian Art Museum had a physical record of the military units which were at Santo Tomas. The record was in a fabric scroll tied with a shoe lace, and it contained the unit insignia pin of each unit represented (hidden) in Santo Tomas. It was collected by my mother, Lt. Frankie Lewey, and made while at Santo Tomas. She always traded pins, even with the Japanese, as she went about "sending word out" in late 1944-early 1945 to USAFFE/guerrilla Tommy
His pilots wings were the guarantee the message came from her.
His pilot wings were his assurance the B vitamins and quinine smuggled back to her for the patients were pure.

I have been in contact with nearly every museum in western Washington and I can tell you there more than a few administrators who say now is the time to find out who in the press is interested in this type of story and to approach them with Mom's and mine.  They think it may be in the hands of a private collector who may come forth with the scroll of unit insignia pins.

I will take all the help offered in getting my media presentation organized, and help in finding who to talk to.

ithascome
YaBB Newbies

Reply #29 - Jan 18th, 2009, 9:56pm

Quote:
I believe Ernest Stanley was a dedicated missionary, like many of the time, who tried to live his life by his understanding of  G_d's will (faith toward G _d,  being #1, and St Paul's "faith without works, is dead," reminding him that he had work to be done.  His station in life at STIC  was created and  exploited by the Japanese to cause dissention amongst the internees for the purpose of dividing Stanley from the people, and for contention.

Hello!  I'm new here.
I noticed that there are several request for information about Ernest Stanley.  Well  Rainbow Trout  aka Sue is absolutely correct.  

My father was one of the missionaries with Ernest in th PI during that time.  There were also three other missionaries who knew Ernest well.  They all have given statements about Ernest Stanley. I have these statements on my website.  Ernest was never a spy.  He was just a missionary who had spent 10 years in Japan prior to the war.  He could not believe that the Japanese could be so bad.  He thought that he could be of help at Santo Tomas because of his command of the Japanese language.  It turned out that he was used alright.  The internees never trusted him because he was given special treatment...being allowed to live apart from the other internees.  It was not until the very end that internees began to see how much he helped them. I think without Ernest things would have been much worse for those in the prison camp.

Thanks for allowing me to post
John

« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2009, 3:07pm by ithascome »  
  IP Logged
ithascome
YaBB Newbies

Reply #30 - Jan 18th, 2009, 9:57pm

For more information ... take a look at my website.

http://www.geocities.com/ithascome/

If you find the site unavailable it is because Yahoo shuts the site down when the traffic gets too large.  try it again later.

« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2009, 11:18pm by ithascome »  
  IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #31 - Feb 2nd, 2009, 5:53am

Oh my, you have letters about Stanley from those who knew him; on line  recommendations  of his character I assume.
I'm signing off in a few minutes and will check out your Stanley web page.
How did you find this small discussion? You must have been digging deep.
Sue

PS THANK YOU JOHN
PPS Who were your folks?
PPPS Dr Ernesto de Pedro at UST is researching the WWII missionary families and I can get his email for you if you would like to contact him.

ithascome
YaBB Newbies

Reply #32 - Feb 4th, 2009, 2:44am

Yes... Wink I was digging deep... I am always looking for some new info to add to my site... been working on it since 2001.  What I have is my dad's diary... dad was a fellow missionary with Ernest Stanley... I also have transcripts from the 3 other missionaries that were with him... they all speak well of Stanley and tell why he happened to go to the Santo Tomas Internment Camp.

Thanks for taking a look at my site.
Smiley

IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #33 - Feb 7th, 2009, 4:02pm

Hi John, Your messages have revved-up  the fascination people have with Mr Stanley. I have had a small flurry of email telling me about your site; it is very well thought of .

I am impressed with all that you have been able to place on line. It is no wonder you get so many hits that the site gets shut down sometimes because everyone is  on  your site.

... for everyone interested in the missionaries in the Philippines during WWII -  visit http://www.geocities.com/ithascome/
Sue

ithascome
YaBB Newbies

Reply #34 - Feb 7th, 2009, 4:16pm

Thanks Sue!

IP Logged
ithascome
YaBB Newbies

Reply #35 - Feb 17th, 2009, 8:26pm

Here are two interesting YouTube links that I added to my Stanley page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NZbU4JLF7c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4mwa470pKo

Anyone know Sam Hamilton?

Also I found the following links which refers to Ernest Stanley and the murders of the three young men.

http://newsarch.rootsweb.com/th/read/WORLDWAR2/2003-12/1070508095

http://newsarch.rootsweb.com/th/read/WORLDWAR2/2003-12/1070847114

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2009, 1:15am by ithascome »  
  IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #36 - Feb 21st, 2009, 5:40am

Yes, I know Sam Hamilton. What would you like?

« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2009, 12:46am by Rainbow Trout  aka Sue »  
ithascome
YaBB Newbies

Reply #37 - Feb 21st, 2009, 1:26pm

Hi Sue

The two YouTube links posted above are moderated by Mr. Hamilton.  He seems like a real nice person.  I looked for his email.  It would be nice to be able to write him sometime.

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Santo Tomas Internment Camp--DVD
Reply #38 - Mar 13th, 2009, 4:06pm

Judging by excerpts, the DVD "Victims of Circumstance" is well worth purchasing.  The DVD relates experiences of civilians interned by the Japanese at the STIC during WWII.  These excerpts may be viewed and a copy of the DVD ordered at http://www.lougopal.com/Index.htm.  

Newsletter Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Paul UK
YaBB Newbies

Reply #39 - Apr 15th, 2009, 1:38pm

My mother showed me a copy of "Santo Tomas Internment Camp Stic in verse and reverse stictoons and stictistics" by J E McCall this weekend just gone. It is actually signed by J E McCall and was printed by the Woodruff Printing Company of Lincoln Nebraska. She came across it at a church bazaar and just picked it up. Don't know how it came to be in the UK. As she does not have the internet thought I would search out a bit about this. The website is making fascinating reading and I am learning all the time. Google books shows it with a white cover but the one my mum has has a brown cover similar in texture to bamboo with a rising sun flag on it. Does anyone know where I can find out a bit more about the author?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print