Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Capt. Ben Banatao, 57th Inf. (PS) (Read 2272 times)
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Capt. Ben Banatao, 57th Inf. (PS)
May 10th, 2004, 6:45am

I am writing for info on Capt Ben Banatao a
Philppine scout, he was then commisioned is US army
until his retirement.
His widow Engracia Banatao is ill and I seek any info
or old comrades in arms.
    He was allegedly a Battan survivor and I seek to
substantinate the claim, his grand children ,my kids
also have an interest in any info.
 My father was in with the 7th fleet on minesweepers
and fought in Leyte and Lingayen campaigns as well the
South Pacific.
     I myself was in US Navy and was fortunate to
visit these places of great significance.
      Presently I live in Bay Area and seek more info
as his widows health fails, family military history is
a concern of mine and wish to complete it for
my childrens sake and for future generations.

Thank you for time and efforts , Thank you ,

Harold Stewart for Engracia Banatao
  haroldcstewart@yahoo.com

« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2005, 12:46pm by Editor-at-Large »  

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Capt. Ben Banatao
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2004, 6:47am

Banatao was 1st Sgt Co E, 57th Inf (PS)
Outstanding soldier who was commissioned in March, 1942 on Bataan.
I will be at the PS Reunion at San Mateo 29 April-1 May and will have copies of my history of the 57th Inf (PS) which covers his life as well as some info on his post-war career. Would be honored to visit with any of the family.
Sincerely,
John E. Olson
Former Adjutant, 57th Inf (PS)

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Capt. Ben Banatao
Reply #2 - May 10th, 2004, 7:03am

BANATAO BENITO B
SA#O2027436=
2nd Lt. (as of Dec. 8, 1941),
Company E, 2nd Battalion, 57th INF
Released from Camp O'Donnell, on June 6, 1942, when Filipinos were given amnesty by the Japanese.
Awarded the Silver Star for actions in Mabatang, during the Mauban/Mabatang line (or MLR), on 1/12/42.  This was connected to the battle of Abucay Hacienda.
Given the date, this is what historians would connect with the first phase of the Battle of Abucay Hacienda.

Since he (a Filipino) was made a Philippine Scout Officer, on Dec. 8, 1941, he must have shown, over and above all the standards required of others, the qualities required of an officer in the US Army and of a Philippine Scout.
Capt. Ben Benatao was a very special man, of that I have no doubt.  He was a real soldier, no doubt about it.  He must have been hell on wheels.

He was surrendered on Bataan and he was a Bataan Death March Survivor.  He did his time in Camp O'Donnell.  What he did after his release from Camp O'Donnell, I do not know.  If his family believes he was involved in guerrilla activities, I can look into that as well.

Yes, he was a true Battling Bastard of Bataan, and any and all members of his family, and friends,  (we are very proud of him), are welcome to join our organization, as well as the Phil Scout Heritage Society.

If you wish to know the individual battles he was in, I can provide you with that information.  Simply e-mail me, and I will copy Mike H. and John Patterson with my response.  Capt. Ben Banatao was both a Phil Scout and a Battling Bastard of Bataan, so you have 2 organizations, who are working together very well, in your favor, with each organization, offering something different.

We in the BBB do research and  history, and feel we are the best at it, the Phil Scouts offer a social setting for these activities.  I urge you to join their get together in San Mateo.  I would join them this year, but I have a family commitment, with a niece's first communion, on the same date.  I am very sorry I will not be there.

For more on info on Capt. Ben Benatao, e-amail me.  I will share all my information with you, since he was a Battling Bastard of Bataan, and with the Phil Scout Heritage Society.

Thank you for your interest, of this great man.

"We honor the men of Bataan, by telling the truth...." by Maj. Gordon.

Fred Baldassarre
fred23@battlingbastardsbataan.com

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print