Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Philippine Division reenactors (Read 17276 times)
Victor S. Verano

Philippine Division reenactors
Apr 20th, 2004, 10:11pm

Hello, I have been going to the Reading, PA WWII Weekend  airshows and ground exhibits for the last three years. There is a contingent of reenactors who pose as Philippine Division soldiers (I'm assuming 31st infantry). There is a photo of them in this link.

http://www.maam.org/wwii/photopages/2002_4.html

This is a shot in the dark but if anyone knows who these guys are, I'd like to get their contact information. I'd like to find out if they have a Philippine Scout contingent in their group. Maybe I can apply to be a member (grin). Thanks!

The home page of the website is: http://www.maam.org/maamwwii.html

IP Logged
Batangas Scouts

Re: Philippine Division reenactors
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2004, 5:29am

Hi Victor,

I'm  trying to form up a group of Philippine Scouts reenactor.   I saw a couple of filipinos portraying as a 57th Infantry (PS) father and son on the Philippine Scouts web site. I think its in Pennsylvania too.  Im here in Tacoma, Washington.  I'm just about to complete my Uniform of the early Scouts of 1900, Campaign Hat, long Canvas leggings, Spanish American War haversack and SpanAm canteen with black leather sling.  Only thing I'm missing right now is the Krag rifle.  I'm planning to come up with the WWII uniform also with the carabao head patch later the down the line.  I myself originated from Macabebe Scouts and my father was a Company Commander of  L  Co.  45th Inf (PS).  E-mail me and let me know what you think.  My e-mail address:  r2ro43@hotmail.com.

Art Garcia
Macabebe Scouts

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2004, 8:51am

The following is excerpted from an e-mail sent by Daniel Dizon, an artisit and Filipino WWII reenactor:  Editor

Thanks for your message of 1 Aug. '04....I became an official US WWII re-enactor last 6 Jun at the National WW2 Re-enactment Meet at Reading, Penn. w/ my 3 boys and daughter. 3 of us wore combat uniforms of 1941 Phil. Scouts soldiers w/ vintage firearms & equipment of the 26th Cav. & Inf. I was in heaven that day? We're the only pure-blooded Filipinos wearing the honored uniforms & many cameras clicked on us.  One of my sons is an exper & professional WWII Phil. Scouts re-enactor in the US & was in the USMC.  Every Apr. 8or 9 I do my own one-man reenactment as a WWII Phil. Scout Officer at the Capas National Shrine in Camp O'Donell.  I'm the only Filipino in the whole Philippines who do this yearly ritual as my humble tribute to the Phil. Scouts' memory.  Many thanks for your referrals of my prints. Sometimes old age prevents my reenactments.   Dan

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Sgt Owen, 26th Cav.

Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2004, 6:23pm

I am a memeber of a small group in Indiana, USA.  We are potraying the 26th Cavalry, PS, US Army.
If anyone has pictures, or stories of the 26th, they would very helpful.  
They did their jobs, to protect. It is our job, to protect their memories and honor those who gave it their all.
Sgt. Owen
26th US Cavalry PS

IP Logged
Victor S. Verano

Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2004, 11:07pm

Do you have any online photos of your group to share? Thanks!

IP Logged
Sgt. Owen

Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2004, 9:39am

No pics as of yet.  The troop is still fairly new to the field.
Sgt. Owen

IP Logged
Sgt Owen

Reply #6 - Dec 17th, 2004, 2:04pm

I am looking for info as to what the uniform might have been for the 26th PS. I know the Engineers had the standing collars on thier uniorms.  I was wondering if the 26th would of had the same.  Any info would be nice.

IP Logged
Ray Ortega

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2005, 5:27am

Nice pics. Grin...... It's about time the Filipino community should be more involved with historical reenacting, especially when we have so much to be proud about from the valor shown by the Philippine Scouts and the Philippine Commonwealth Army alongside our U.S. G.I.s in WWII.

These days it seems that many more Americans know and therefore can appreciate the gallantry of the NISEI units of WWII than the story of our own battling  "bastards of Bataan"  Cry.  Well we need to do something in our own little way to correct that.  Wink

A year ago, we have formed a Filipino renactment group, but this is for the Phil-Am War, however we do intend to branch out into the Bataan-Corregidor campaign and the the prewar period as well.

Most of my stuff is back in the Philippines but I do have an original shoulder patch of that red shield and carabao head insignia, a coconut fiber "ginete" sunhelmet used by the PA in 1941, lots of 1950's U.S. khaki pants and shirts from my late uncle, and two "hotchkiss" type Japanese medium machineguns complete with their carying handles. But my pride and joy are two PS khaki uniforms from the 1920's.

It would be abolutely magnificent if we could get together and help each other out by way of sharing our information, the procurement of authentic and accurate reproductions of uniform and equipment, as well as meeting together for reenactments here in Southern California and in other parts of the States.  Grin

Ill try posting some pics of our PS impressions which we did last month at Fort MacArthur in San Jose.

If any of you gentlemen would care to have a peek at us, our "erzats" website which still needs some finishing touches is:

http://tositeandprogram.com/kkk

Enjoy!

IP Logged
Sgt. Owen

Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2005, 7:28pm

I am a WWII re-enactor.  I am needing some pics and/or info on the guidon of the 26th cav. would have looked like. and  the colors of the uniforms.  I had a WWII event over the past weekend and I had men telling about how they had read this or that about the 26th, then telling me my display was wrong.  Thus this did piss me off. I have put many hours and money into researching and looking up and buying thing that they would have had.  I just wanted some backing if anyone could help me.

IP Logged
Victor S. Verano

Reply #9 - May 5th, 2005, 8:27am

It sounds like your event was a living history display event. If that's the case, the main goal is the education of the general public. You serve as a living museum for them to look at and ask questions to. The more important goal is to represent and keep the memory of the Scouts alive and educate the public about them. Not impress other reenactors. 99% of the public wouldn't know or care about the khaki or OD shade of your uniform. The public would be more interested to know more about the exploits of the real soldiers whose memory you are trying to preserve.

While historical accuracy of an impression is to strive for, the research part of the reenacting hobby is a long process. Even after years, you may or still may not achieve full accuracy. Just tell the other nitpicking reenactors that at this point in time, your gear and impression is based on what you have researched so far. It could change over the months or years as you find more information about the gear. That should be beyond reproach to them.

Regards,
Victor

IP Logged
George A. Rummel

Reply #10 - May 7th, 2005, 1:43pm

I have considerable info on the 26th Cav.P.S. including uniforms, equipment and horse gear. I can also give you the info on the guidon you are looking for.
If you would send me your mailing address I'll send you copies of pictures on horse gear and some uniform info.
George

IP Logged
not willing to tell

Reply #11 - Jun 27th, 2005, 8:34am

Hi Victor My brother is in that photo he is in HMI thir web site is www.hmisite.com then click on the WW2 button on the right side of the screen. It dose Rev war up to now The ww2 part of the groop dose 31st Inf and late war. The members are from PA,NY,DE,NJ,VA,

I hope this helps if you need more info just post it on this site and I will try to anser the problum.

Tyler

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print