Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rafael Garcia, 1st PMA Superintendent (Read 5119 times)
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Rafael Garcia, 1st PMA Superintendent
Mar 03rd, 2004, 3:28pm

I had the opportunity to meet and talk to the grand son of Rafael Garcia, the first Superintendent of the Philippine Military Academy.  From what I gathered,
Garcia was a graduate of the USMA, at West Point, N.Y., and was commissioned in the U.S. Army - Philippine Scouts. He was transferred to the Philippine Military
Academy as the first or one of the pioneer of the Academy.   If there anyway we can verify this info.?

The other question I have is how do we set-up a chapter of the PSHS? 

Lastly, is there a way I can trace the families of former P.S., officers, i.e., Col. Manzano, Col. Dalao, and other officers of the PS. 

Thank you very much for your help.  Hope to see you again this coming late April - early May Reunion.

Chamberlin (Chamby) M. Febre
cmfebre@mindspring.com

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Rafael Garcia, 1st PMA Superintendent
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2004, 3:48pm

Besides posting this notice, I'm circulating your request among some of our members connected by e-mail.

Developing information on former Scouts is made easier if you can supply additional information, such as units in which they served and period of service.  Finding families of deceased Scouts is more difficult.  Probably your best chance is through our website and newsletter.  If you don't already subscribe to the newsletter, information on doing so is available on our website.

There is at least one book on the history of the PMA, which should list Rafael Garcia.  You might also contact West Point concerning him.

Probably the best place to discuss forming a chapter is at our annual meeting in San Mateo.  There may be enough PSHS members in the Sacramento area for a chapter.  With additional recruiting, there certainly would be.  You may also want to contact PSHS President Larry Pangan concerning this.  His address is on the website.

Mike Houlahan
PRO, PSHS

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2004, 1:13pm

Rafael  Larrosa Garcia graduated USMA in the Class of 1916. He was commissioned in the Philippine Scouts. He was Superintendent of the PA Military Academy. He was a POW and Guerrilla during WWII.

Col. (Ret.) Mel Rosen

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
EC Olivares
YaBB Newbies

Monroe, VA
Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2007, 8:17pm

Hello,
Although I can't help with the locations of the reply I can comment on some of the names. COL Dalao was my Godfather, although I was too young during the times my parents socialized with the Dalaos to remember them.  As to LTC Garcia, he and the other names you mentio were close friends of my father, COL Jose E. Olivares, USNA 1923 (Foreign Midshipman from the Philippines) who was commissioned in the Philippine Scouts as 2d LT and served in the US Army until his retirement in 1953. I have posted  a brief history on the message board.
I have a photo that I got from Mrs Santiago Guevara, widow of COL Guevara, USMA 1923 (also Foreign Cadet from Philippines) commissioned in the Philippine Scouts who served until his retirement in 1953, as well. The photo includes, I believe, Garcia, Manzano, Dalao, as well as several other PS Officers. The photo was taken in late 1945 or early 1946 at a welcome home party for Mrs. Vicente Lim, widow of BG Vicente Lim (Philippine Army) USMA 1914, who had been commissioned and served in the Philippine Scouts until his retirement in 1936. He then was commissioned in the Philppine Army, was a guerrila captured by the Japanese and executed in 1945 along with one or more of his sons. The photo includes my father, Jose E. Olivares, my mother Maria R. Olivares, COL Guevara and his wife, Mrs. Lim, COL Reyes, COL Manzano, COL Janairo, COL Sevilla, COL Martelino, COL Garcia, COL Dalao, and the wives of the named officers.
If you wish to get a copy of the photo, please reply to me directly at "edward.c.olivares@verizon.net" with your email adsdress or FAX number. I would be pleased to send you the photo as an email attachment or by FAX.
EC Olivares

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print