Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1st & 2nd Filipino Inf. Regiments (Read 11883 times)
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
1st & 2nd Filipino Inf. Regiments
Mar 1st, 2004, 10:23pm

Two units known as the First and Second Filipino Infantry Regiments were formed in California in 1942, consisting of Filipinos who were not in the islands when the Japanese attacked and Filipino-American volunteers. They were part of the Army of the United States and trained at Camp Luis Obispo, Fort Ord, Camp Beale, and Camp Roberts, California through mid-1943.

Around April 1943, General Courtney Whitney flew to California from MacArthur's headquarters in Australia, and selected several hundred men out of this organization to be brought to Australia for training in intelligence gathering, radio operations, weather observation and sabotage. They were formed into coast watcher and "penetration" teams that went into the Philippines ahead of the U.S. invasion.

« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2004, 8:32pm by Editor-at-Large »  

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: 1st & 2nd Filipino Inf. Regiments
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2004, 1:16pm

The following is posted on behalf of Larry Pangan, President of the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society:  Editor

The Philippine Scouts Heritage Society cordially invites all former 1st and 2nd Filipino Infantry Regiment veterans, family members and friends to join our Society.  Many of you were integrated into Philippine Scout units following the war and all of you fought side by side with Scouts during the liberation of the Philippines.

Larry Pangan
President, PSHS

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2004, 12:08pm

I believe that my West Point  classmates Ed Suantengo and Rafael Ileto were in the PI Regiments and maybe Abner Pickering(??).

Col. Robert Dwan

Colonel Dwan is retired U.S. Army and a member of the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society.  Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Cabantoy
YaBB Newbies

Know when to humble

Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2008, 7:34pm

WinkHello and Happy New Year.
I've found my way back to your wonderful sight.  Thank you kindly for inviting those of us who were not scouts to become members.  I would like to see more posting going on though,  I know that there are many who have alot to share and perhaps just need a little boost?  Any way the purpose of my post would to ask if any one of our readers would have some information or a website that would assist me in gathering information about my fathers service in this inf.?  I've requested his military records from the appropriate place however they were SO very VAgue.  Date of enlistment, exit, not much else.  Is that all that can be expected as far as information or am I not looking in the right place?  
Please Help
thanks
Janetta

On behalf of my Father ,
Juan Malate Cabantoy 39136961
Date of enlistment July 15, 1943
Kija Cabantoy

"know when to humble"
Juan Malate Cabantoy
  IP Logged
OlsenPC
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2008, 11:08pm

Hello Janetta:

Here are the two places that had helpful information for me in my search for my Great-Uncles' war records (Your right, the National Personnel records Center in St. Loius gives out very little information, and seems to have lost much in a fire,...)

Dept. of the Army
U.S. Army Resources Comand
Attn: AHRC-PED-O - Mrs. Courduff
200 Stoval St.
Alexandria, VA 22331

(Mrs. Courduff was extremely helpful and conscientious to me.)

The second is the museum maintained at Ft. Riley, KS - however, that may not be the case for your grandfather.  If you find the base that he trained at, they may also have a history museum that the curator can give you important information.  In my case, I found that Uncle Alex served in the 2nd Cav. for many years, which was an integrated regiment in the 20's - 30's.  He was an officer for this regiment.  

Peter Olsen

petrao57   IP Logged
mario aguillon
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2010, 11:42am

Thank you all for creating and maintaining this site.

My father, Mario J. Aguillon, was an anti tank gunner for the 1st Filipino Regiment.  He was activaed on December 4, 1942 at the age of 37.  I'm pretty sure he trained in San Luis Obispo.  His discharge papers say that he was stationed in New guinea and Southern Philippines.  He passed away several years ago, but I'm hoping there are some members from his unit who are still alive, who might remember him and would be willing to communicate with me.  My father never discussed his military service, other than to say "it was a long time ago."  

Also, do you know if the army maintains an archive of unit photographs, or lists of specific unit members?

Best regards,
Mario A. Aguillon Jr.

IP Logged
frank

Reply #6 - Apr 20th, 2010, 1:45pm

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print