Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Col. Eugene Laird (Read 4425 times)
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Col. Eugene Laird
Mar 01st, 2004, 10:09pm

Col. Eugene Laird served with the Philippine Division during the defense of Bataan. He was a advisor to General MacArthur and a battalion commanding officer. He was a POW at Camp O'Donnell and Camp Zentsuyi. The family would appreciate any further information anyone can supply.

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Col. Eugene Laird
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2004, 11:23am

My name is Robert J. Mann, husband of Marie Laird Mann.  She is the daughter of Col. Eugene Laird who was with the 1st Philippine scouts as a Battalion Commander when Baatan & corregidor fell.  Col. Laird survived the war but has since passed on.  We are trying to find anyone who served with him so that we might be able to better understand his service and imprisonment.  We have a photo of Col. Laird we would be happy to share.  Also, my Uncle, Cpl. Angelo Ponzio (Angie) who was killed the last day of the battle for Baatan and  is buried at the American/Philippine cemetery.  Anyone who knew him or knew of him, I would very much appreciate any information regarding his experience as well.

brightsights@comcast.net

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: Col. Eugene Laird
Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2004, 11:24am

I find no references to the “1st Philippine Scouts” as a unit during WWII.  However, following WWI, the 1st Philippine Infantry (Provisional) was combined with the U.S. Army’s 45th Infantry (which originated at Fort Benjamin Harrison, Indiana in 1917) in late 1920.  This reconstituted unit was renamed the 45th Infantry (PS) and was assigned to the Philippine Division in 1921.  You may read more about this and other Philippine Scout units in “The Philippine Scouts”, a book edited by Col. John Olson and available through the PSHS.  Information on ordering it is available in the bibliography near the bottom of the “Exchange” page of our website at www.philippine-scouts.org.

Other less likely possibilities are the 26th Cavalry (PS), the 57th Infantry (PS), the 43rd Infantry (PS) or one of the Philippine Scout Field Artillery or Coastal Artillery units.

MH

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print