Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Doc Billings - Spanish American War (Read 4619 times)
Jim Billings

Doc Billings - Spanish American War
Feb 22nd, 2004, 2:11pm

Originally posted on 12:52:40 07/12/03

Dear Sir,
My grandfather was in the Army from around 1896 to 1910. On his gravestone at Ft. Bayard National Cemetery in New Mexico, his last unit is listed as 43rd U.S. Infantry Co. D. I know he served in the Phillipines and can find reference to a 43rd Infantry being sent there around 1898 or 99. Since the Scouts were not formed until 1917, I assume there must have been a parent regiment. I have also found reference to a 43rd Volunteer U.S. Infantry being formed in Vermont in 1899. Can you help me?
Jim Billings

His full name was James Rowan Billings.  Editor
------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2004, 9:35am by Editor-at-Large »  
  IP Logged
Mike Houlahan

Re: Doc Billings - Spanish American War
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2004, 2:12pm

Originally posted on 12:55:32 07/12/03

Actually the Philippine Scouts were formed in 1901. The 43rd Infantry (PS) traces its origins to 1900 to two companies of Macabeebe Scouts (not Philippine Scouts) which were raised from four provinces of the Bicol Peninsula. More on the 43rd Infantry (PS) and the 45th Infantry (PS) with which it was affiliated, may be gotten from "The Philippine Scouts" published by the PSHS pp. 78-104. Information on obtaining this book is as follows:

"The Philippine Scouts" edited by Col. John E. Olson: This large volume published by the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society can be purchased from President Larry L. Pangan for $28.00, includes postage. Send check or money order made out to the "Philippine Scouts Heritage Society" to:

Larry L. Pangan
2233 Fox Glen Dr.
Fairfield, CA 94533

I doubt that we would have information on your grandfather, as his service may not have been affiliated with the Philippine Scouts; however, if you'll supply his full name and rank, I'll pass your request on to our researchers.

Sincerely,

Mike Houlahan
Public Relations Officer
PSHS

IP Logged
Jim Billings

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2004, 2:13pm

Originally posted on 16:35:11 07/12/03

Thank you for your message and the information. My grandfather served 13 years as a private. He could not read or write. I'm sure his records are all under Doc Billings. When he married my grandmother around 1915, he did not know what his real name was. He had joined the Army at 14 around 1892 to 1895, and had been called Doc for many years. My grandmother located his family in North Wilkesboro, NC about 1926 and they wrote to tell her his full name was James Rowan Billings.

I have a faint recollection of my father saying something about the Phillipine Scouts. Doc was certainly in the 43rd U.S. Infantry when he was discharged around 1908 -10. He was discharged from the Army TB sanatorium in Fort Bayard, NM where he had been a patient for a year or so.
James Billings
------------------------------------------------------------------------

IP Logged
Bob Capistrano

Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2004, 2:15pm

Originally posted on 12:16:06 08/12/03

Your grandfather was probably not affiliated with the 43rd Infantry (PS) since he left the army in 1908. In fact, his 43rd Infantry was probably a volunteer unit formed for Philippine service in 1899 and mustered out around 1902-03.

The Philippine Scout 43rd Infantry was organized in Utah in 1917 for World War I (although it never went to France). In 1921, the stateside based regiment was disbanded and the designation "43rd Infantry" was given to a preexisting provisional 3rd Philippine Infantry, formed from Philippine Scout battalions. The 43rd Infantry (PS) was inactivated in 1922 and never again active until 1941, when the 1st Battalion, 45th Infantry (PS) (with two companies at Camp John Hay and two companies at Pettit Barracks) were redesignated the 1st Battalion 43rd Infantry (PS).

IP Logged
Col. John Olson

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2004, 2:17pm

Originally posted on 15:21:45 08/12/03

During the Spanish Amrican War, most of the Infantry Regiments of the Regular Army served in the Phiippines: e.g, my Father had two tours (18th Inf). Layte & Mindanao. Billings can trace his Father through 43rd History. In 1921 when the War Dept was reorganizing the 6,000 PS who were being inducted into the Regular Army, it had only enough for three Infantry (PS) to be manned, so the 43rd, 45th and 57th (PS) were chosen. Each was alerted it was to send the Regt Officers, colors and records. Since the 45th and 57th were headquartered at Ft Wm McKinley with a battalion split between Camp John Hay and Pettit Barracks, it was decided to make that the First Bn 43rd (PS) but not part of the 23rd Brigade (PS) but directly under the Philippine Division. But, it was redesignated the First 45th.
In Fall of '41 the plan was to inactivate the 45th to raise the 57th to full war strength. The First 43rd (PS) remained so since it had Igorots in Baguio and Moros and (I think) Tagalogs in Pettit Barracks.

JEO

IP Logged
Col. Robert Dwan

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2004, 2:19pm

Originally posted  on 19:41:37 08/12/03

This man may contact the National Archives in Washington (202) 501-5430 for his grandfathers records. Unless his grandfather was an Officer, it is doubtful that he would have been in the Philippine Scouts. The Army Lineage Series,Infantry Part 1 does not show a 43 Inf--maybe Voulunteer,or National Guard?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print