Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lt. Col. Eddie Wright, 45th Inf (PS) and the PRPS (Read 4469 times)
Chris Schaefer

Lt. Col. Eddie Wright, 45th Inf (PS) and the PRPS
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:33pm

Originally posted on 18:44:04 04/11/03

In January, 1945, Lt. Col. Eddie Wright (45th Inf.) came out of hiding in the Bataan jungle and put out a notice for Philippine Scouts in Bataan and Zambales to come join him at his camp near Bamban, Bataan. He was organizing a "Provisional Regiment of Philippine Scouts," (PRPS) to attack the Japanese from the rear as soon as MacArthur landed. As I understand it, about 150 Scouts responded.

Does anyone know anything about this organization? Did you, or anyone you know of, answer the call? I am looking for any information about what happened to Col. Wright and this group in January and February, 1944.

« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2005, 3:23pm by Editor-at-Large »  
  IP Logged
Malcolm Decker

Re: Lt. Col. Eddie Wright and the PRPS
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2004, 12:35pm

Originally posted on 11:54:37 05/11/03

Chris, the only think I can find and you probably have them are some communiques from Clay Conner to Col Merrill. item 217 from the archieves to Conner from Merrill in paragraph states that Conner should have received a letter dated 3 Jan 45 and states that Merrill had expected Wright to visit Conner by this time. Evidently Wright was under Merrill and had placed Conner in command of the First Battalion PRPS in addition to commanding the 155th. Conner is to give priority to the PS on any additional arms received.
item 222 to Col Calyer from Conner paragraph 2 states tha all OPs in this area are being guarded, awaiting supplies. The P.S. are reporting daily. However, about 75 Phil. Scouts, formerly connected with this organization who evacuated their families to Macabe, have reported to Col Wright. This report was handed to me by Lt. Maningo commander 1st Bn. PRPS. it goes on to say that Calyer doesn't understand this as Col Wright had imformed him that he was sending many men in the Pampanga area to report to Merrill. Calyer fees that many members of the Phil Scouts are ignoring Col Wright's orders. (a lot of this was going on and I have several memos from Conner to Merrill complaining of the same thing)(Lt. Maningo was on the roster of at least 3 guerrilla units, seems as if anyone ever contact on of the guerrilla units then they were claimed as part of the unit, help build up numbers for each unit. ha)
item 228 is an example of Conner's frustration.

« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2004, 2:37pm by Webmaster »  
  IP Logged
Col. John Olson

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2004, 12:37pm

Originally posted on 13:25:44 05/11/03

Eddie Wright was S-3 of the 45th Inf (PS), See
A/A for account of last action. He and our President Emeritus General Roy Reynolds when ordered to surrender, did just what many PS,including YOURS TRULY, did and tried to get to the Mountain Provinces. They were successful in getting through the Jap lines, but decided to "Hole Up" near the Zig-Zag on the road to Olongapo. They miraculously evaded capture until the IX Corps landed.

Eddie who retired in NE Texas passed away just recently. Call General Reynolds, who knows the full story.
JEO
------------------------------------------------------------------------

IP Logged
Maj. Fred Foz

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2004, 12:38pm

Originally posted on 13:31:59 05/11/03

LtC Edgar Wright was our S-3 of the 45th Inf Regt PS. He lead us out of the trap in Abucay Hacienda when the 2nd Bn, 45th where I was assigned. A day before the surrender of Bataan Gen. Wainwright ordered the 45th Inf PS to move to Corregidor to stiffen its defense. Col. Wright and BGen Reynolds who was also the S-3 of the 57th Inf PS tried to contact their respective units close to Mariveles dock. but my Bn was still fighting in Trail 29 in a retrograde movement. Both officers had a hard time locating both regiments. When they returned -they were trapped by the Japanese so they went back to the jungles. Bamban is in Tarlac area which is mountainuous where they survived the ordeal for three long years-I was fighting with the 15th Inf Provisional at the time under Col. Russell W. Volckman that met the landing party by Submarine USS Stingray under Lt. Joe Valera on the night of August 28, 1944 in Caunayan Bay, Bangui, Ilocos Norte. I did not know where both officers were at the time. If I did I could have tried to join them. The 15th Inf. was in Northern Luzon where we liberated four provinces without any Americans other supplies. I was in Fort Lewis when Col. Wright was the Chief of Staff and when he retired, he was the Vice President of Varian Associates in Palo Alto, Calif. This is all know about Col. Edgar Wright - Regards fredfoz
------------------------------------------------------------------------

IP Logged
skipper
YaBB Newbies

Re: Lt. Col. Eddie Wright, 45th Inf (PS) and the P
Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2008, 12:27pm

Did anyone ever find more on Edgar Wright? I sat with him one day and he told me much, but I had no pad nor recorder with me. He had never wanted to talk much about his three years in the "hills."

Edgar retired to California, worked there and eventually came back to his home town of Paris, Texas, where he died and is buried. He was my military "expert" for some writings I did, and was my cousin.

Skipper Steely

IP Logged
Chris_Schaefer
YaBB Administrator

Texas
Re: Lt. Col. Eddie Wright, 45th Inf (PS) and the P
Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2008, 1:49pm

Skipper--after the above messages I uncovered a number of documents about Wright in the National Archives, some of which are quoted by Malcolm Decker above.  I also interviewed Gen. Roy Reynolds per Col. Olson's suggestion, and both of Wright's sons.  Wright's story was extensively documented in Col. Frank Loyd's diary, as Wright, Reynolds, Loyd, and Al Romaine spent three years together near the Zig-zag pass as mentioned by Fred Foz.  Their story is the subject of a book I wrote in 2004, "Bataan Diary," which is available from the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society and from Amazon.com.  Eddie Wright's experiences in the Philipine jungles during the war are documented in the book.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print