Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Arthur W. Wermuth, 57th Inf. (PS) (Read 5288 times)
John C. Fredriksen, M.D.

Arthur W. Wermuth, 57th Inf. (PS)
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:22pm

Originally posted on 11:02:27 04/11/03

I am interested in obtaining any information relating to Arthur W. Wermuth, 57th Infantry (PS), the legendary "One Man Army of Bataan." Informed parties may contact me directly at jfredriksen@sisna.com or write me at John C. Fredriksen, Ph. D., 154 Carpenter St., South Kingston, RI 02879, 401-788-9016.

« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2005, 12:05pm by Editor-at-Large »  
  IP Logged
Chris Schaefer

Re: Arthur W. Wermuth
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2004, 12:24pm

Originally posted on 15:51:41 04/11/03

There is a book entitled "The Philippine Scouts," which I believe can be purchased on the PSHS web site. Page 351 describes the action for which Lt. Wermuth received the Distinguished Service Cross. It is also described, in slightly different terms, on page 39 of Donald J. Young's book "The Battle of Bataan."

Capt. Wermuth's actions in organizing the anti-sniper platoon is briefly described on pages 357-358 of "The Philippine Scouts," and in more detail on pages 47-48 of "The Battle of Bataan." The incident in which he was wounded is described on page 121 of "The Battle of Bataan," and reporter Clark Lee bestowing the title "One Man Army" is described on page 151.

There are probably other references to Wermuth in both of these books, but these are ones I picked up while researching another subject.

(Former Lt.) Harry Stempin was closely associated with Wermuth in the 57th Infantry at this time, and might be willing to talk with you about him. I interviewed Stempin at an ADBC convention in San Antonio in 1999 and he was very helpful. His e-mail address is dhstemp@flashnet.com.

Best regards, Chris Schaefer.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2004, 2:38pm by Webmaster »  
  IP Logged
jerickson
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2004, 5:44pm

Chris,
Regrettably Harry Stempin died in May 2000.  His obituary is in the Fall 2000 newsletter.  I would be very interested in talking to you about him as I am very interested in learning more about the survivors of the Oryoku Maru.  Please send me an email.

Jim Erickson
jerickson@mail.bio.tamu.edu

IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2004, 7:15pm

This is the only post war "who did he become" answer  that I am aware of :

page 189, Bare-faced Messiah
".... In Wichita, State Marshal Arthur W. Wermuth was surprised to read that Hubbard had 'fled to Cuba' because he had just read of his arrival in Wichita in the Evening Eagle. Wermuth, who happened to be a well-known local war hero, sent a message to Los Angeles acquainting the authorities with Hubbard's whereabouts. Next day the newspapers reported that the 'missing mental-movement mogul' had been 'discovered' in Wichita by the 'legendary one-man army of Bataan'."

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, any copyrighted work in this message is distributed under fair use without profit or payment for non-profit research and educational purposes only. [Ref.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml]

WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Rainbow Trout  aka Sue

Joy comes in the
morning

Washington
Reply #4 - Jan 1st, 2005, 7:06am

Front page of the Los Angeles Times for January  10, 1945, has an article "Bataan's One-Man Army" and a photograph.

WWW emerald_trout@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print