Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Philippine Liberation & Independence Medals (Read 6536 times)
Charles W. Aresta

Philippine Liberation & Independence Medals
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:14pm

Originally posted on 10:10:24 04/11/03

I am the historian for the Hawaii Chapter #1, Korean War Veterans Association. I am also a veterans of the war in Nam (65-66). I want to thank you for a very fine and well thought out website. It is informative, in good taste, and tells a most interesting story of Ameicans at war. I did not go thought all of your material but if you missed it, the government of the Philipppines authorized all soldiers who served between 20 Oct 1944 and 4 July 1945 to wear the Philippine Liberation and Independence medals. And if wounded in the PI, their Wound Medal, too. Gen Via, Chief of Staff, personally pinned those medals on some 200 men here in Hawaii.
1SGT (Ret) Aresta
------------------------------------------------------------------------

IP Logged
Aniceto I. Bagley

Re: Philippine Liberation & Independence Medal
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2004, 1:47pm

I think the dates mentioned should be 20 October 1944 through 4 July 1946.

IP Logged
Robersabel
YaBB Newbies

Arizona
Re: Philippine Liberation & Independence Medals
Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2010, 11:50am

>if you missed it, the government of the Philipppines authorized all soldiers who served between 20 Oct 1944 and 4 July 1945 to wear the Philippine Liberation and Independence medals.

Philippine Liberation Medal - World War II
Criteria: Awarded to any service member, of both Philippine and allied militaries, who participated in the liberation of the Philippine Islands between the dates of October 17, 1944 and September 2, 1945. To be awarded the medal, a service member must have served in the Philippines for at least thirty days during the eligible time period, or must have participated in one of the following actions: Participation in the initial landing operation of Leyte and adjoining islands from October 7 to October 20, 1944; or Participation in any engagement against hostile Japanese forces during the Philippine Liberation Campaign of October 17, 1944 to September 2, 1945. Personnel who are awarded the medal for participation in the above mentioned operations are authorized a service star to the Philippine Liberation Medal. Personnel who earned the medal for general service during the eligible time period are awarded the medal without device.

Robert

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print