Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Army Commendation List (Read 7909 times)
C. Scherrey

Army Commendation List
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:22am

Originally Posted on 18:53:59 27/09/03

Does anyone have a list of all officers that received an Army Commendation? I am looking for the name of a particular 2nd Lt. in the 57th that won a bronze star and army commendation.

Thank you.
Chris

IP Logged
Mike Houlahan

Re: Army Commendation List
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2004, 12:23am

Originally Posted  on 22:15:49 28/09/03

We probably can supply the information you want, if you supply the name of the person you want researched.

Mike Houlahan
PRO, PSHS
------------------------------------------------------------------------

IP Logged
C. Scherrey

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2004, 12:57am

Originally Posted on 11:49:56 04/10/03

Mr. Houlahan:

Thank you for the reply! As far as the guy's name, I don't have it exactly..
It was scribbled in his jacket and faded somewhat after washing(jacket from approx 1946 - he wore it home)...
He was from just outside Chicago, IL, or at least that is where his estate sale was in the early 1980's.
I enquired with the head of the estate sale as to his name, but the man was not sure the vet's name as he purchased it from a cousin to the owners of the home, who had passed away some months back...
I assume there was some legal trouble with the estate, as I don't think the guy left a will...
Anyway, he told me the man first joined the military ain either the late 1930s (38 or 39) or possibly 1940.
He was taken prisoner along with the rest of the group...
Once liberated he remained for some time and received the Army Commendation for staying behind and, from what I've been able to uncover, help liberate other POWs.
He also received a bronze star, but i'm not exactly sure the story behind that...
On that info, I went ahead and got the uniform in the hopes that I could obtain a list of the 2nd Lt's that won the army commendation and locate which one he was...
I have made various attempts through historical societies and vets from the Philippine area, but have had no luck in obtaining the list...
That is why I finally made a post on the message board in the hopes that someone who at least be able to provide the last names of the 2nd Lt. on the list...
If anyone has that list, I will gladly pay for the portion containing the 2nd Lts...
I would really like to identify this man and give him and his unit credit for what they have done...
I have a number of other uniforms (I give talks about the war and the vet's that fought it to local schools here in Fayetteville, AR), but this one is special since it relates to the Philippines.
In 1946, my relative Col Dean Swift, US Army was killed in action in the Philippines when the Japs attacked the Corp of Eng building there...
So, it is a personal mission to restore this man's name to his uniform.

Please, any help you could provide would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Christina Scherrey

IP Logged
Mike Houlahan

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2004, 12:58am

Originally posted  on 18:42:16 04/10/03

Are you sure he was with the 57th Infantry(PS)? If the uniform has a unit patch that would confirm where he served.

I assume the 1946 date on your relative's death is a typo, as the war ended in 1945.

The additional information you supplied is being circulated.

Sincerely,

Mike Houlahan
PRO, PSHS

IP Logged
C. Scherrey

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2004, 1:00am

Originally posted on 21:28:27 04/10/03

Mike:

Thank you for your help!
I am certain this man was in the 57th, as his jacket, which is a dress white jacket, has the DI's on it for the 57th....
That's how I found out where he served...
Also, at the estate sale they sold a book that had the same design on it...
I saw a man leaving with the book and asked the man in charge of the estate about other military stuff...
That is when he went inside and brought me the jacket to look at...
Sure wish I had gotten the book!

Now, to answer your question about Dean...
As far as the date of 1946 for my relative (great uncle), Col Dean Swift, the date is correct...
He was killed in Jan...
His wife, Rita, and I were VERY close (she's sadly passed away)...
She told me that he was scheduled to come home in Feb. However, according to Rita and a letter received from one of his fellow officers, his unit was attacked by a band of Jap soldiers who refused to believe they had surrendered...
They set fire to the building where Dean was at...
Some of the men were injured and Dean decided to help out and made several trips in to recover men and documents...
The building finally gave way, and he was trapped inside.
He is buried in the Manila National Cemetery, Philippines.
Not sure exactly where the death occured, though, as he was working with a special War Dept group.
I assumed it was in or close to the Philippines.
His normal group was 125th Armd Eng Btn.
The cemetery records there say he was with the 1061st Eng and death occurred Jan 7, 1946.
When his wife died, this information was verified again and she was buried in the Fort Smith National Cemetery in Ft. Smith AR with his name and info below hers.
Other than that, that is all I know.

Any help you could provide on the unknown 57th Inf officer would be greatly appreciated...

Have a great day!

Take care,
Christina

IP Logged
Col. John Olson

Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2004, 1:02am

Originally posted on 06:30:57 06/10/03

Mike, I think I have a partial, if not the full story of the mysterious uniform and ribbons.

Basically, the Lt. was in the post-war 57th Inf (PS). Unfortunately, the data on this period (Oct., 1945-48) is full of gaps. I have personally contacted a number of USMA Grads of 1945-6 who served in the PS, but doubt any would be able to pin the owner. I will also try the 2-3 PS who are still alive. Please tell the lady I will go to work on it.

One thing I am sure of: No PS was given the Commendation Ribbon during the war as it did not come into existance until after the war. I got one from Gen Eichelberger for volunteering to remain in Japan in September, 1945 and work with the Eighth Army POW Recovery Team. Do you have a copy of the article on my being in charge of evacuating some 3,000 US, UK, and Indoneaian POWs from 10 camps in Southern Honshu and Shikoku, including several in the Hiroshima area? This occured during period 6-19 Sept, 1945. I was in the group of 78 POWs who, as I had worked with the Team as noted above, but the remainder were kept in Osaka. I worked with the top two International Red Cross delegates in the Hiroshima Area. Ironically, after three-and-a-half years of taking orders from the Japanese, I was given a Jap Second Lt. and a platoon of fifty Jap Commo telephones and radios to carry out my mission.

At Yokohama on 20 Sept., our volunteers were given a Letter of Commendation signed by Gen. Eichelberger. I did not get a ribbon until 1950.

Long winded explanation why I am sure the Lt. did not get his until after 1946, if at all.

More later. Regards, JEO

IP Logged
C. Scherrey

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2004, 1:03am

Originally posted on 19:42:51 08/10/03

Col. Olson:

Thank you SO much for your help. It means a lot. Anything you could find would be much appreciated.

Again, I can't thank you enough. I really appreciate all you have done. You are truly a remarkable man, sir.

Also, thank you SO much Mike!

Sincerely,
Christina Scherrey

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print