Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
14th Engineers Bn. (PS) (Read 23993 times)
Read Hamner

14th Engineers Bn. (PS)
Feb 13th, 2004, 7:46pm

Originally Posted on 09:23:30 10/08/03

I am now back in Falls Church, VA, after spending the fall semester at VMI, teaching a seminar on Counterproliferation and National Security. I pretty much could let the daily news set my lesson plans.

Attached is a photo of C Company, 14th Engineers (PS), taken on the parade ground at Fort William McKinley in October 1937. My father, the CO, retired from the Army in 1964 as a Major General after, inter alia, tours as Asst Chief of Engineers for Military Operations, CG of Fort Belvoir, and as the first Chief the Office of Personnel Operations for the Army. He later joined Radio Free Europe as Director of Budget and Finance.

The Company XO, Jack Graham, also retired as a General, and then headed the building of the Washington, DC, Metro system.

I hadn't noticed, until I enlarged the picture, that in typical Engineer fashion, there are strings laid on the ground to ensure straight lines!

Read Hanmer, Col. USA (Ret.)

Editor's Note: A photo of C Company, a panorama of the whole Battalion and other photos are available from the history page of our website--click on "see photos" in the black margin.)

« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2005, 3:45am by Editor-at-Large »  
  IP Logged
Pete Sarmiento

Re: 14th Engineers
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2004, 10:32pm

Is this picture a part of a panoramic shot of the entire 14th Engineer Bn. taken at Fort McKinley in October 9, 1937. I have in my possession a copy of the entire batallion with their hats on. I think there is another one without their hats on. My late Dad became the lst Sgt. of Company "B" in September 1941. He was a reserved 2nd Lt. in the mid 30's. He retired in July 1958 as a rank of Captain after serving 32 years.
I am waiting for a book that Col. Sollohub is writing dealing with the 14th Engineers. I see you live not far from me. I lived across the Woodrow Wilson Bridge in MD at Fort Washington.

IP Logged
Editor-at-Large
YaBB Administrator

Ohio
Re: 14th Engineers
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2005, 11:51am

I have been provided with a list of the 82 NCO's of the Bn. as of 9/30/41.  They were divided fairly evenly between the Headquarters Service Company, and the six combat engineer Companies "A" through "F".  As this was slightly over two months before WWII broke out, this listing should be accurate for the beginning of hostilities.  Editor

Newsletter Editor
  IP Logged
ladyrt007
YaBB Newbies

Re: 14th Engineers Bn. (PS)
Reply #3 - May 27th, 2006, 9:52pm

I am seeking info on my ancestor:
PRESNELL, JOHN F. JR
O-2/USA/COE
#O&022890
Last reort date 19/01/1945
Died in Ship's Sinking or Result of Ship(Brazil Maru)Sinking/Southwest
Pacific Theatre: Philippine Islands/
PW Camp #1 - Cabanatuan 1-2-3 Nueva Province Luzon Philippines

He is listed on the wall of the missing at the American Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific as Maj John Presnell, 14th Eng BN, Phillippine Scouts

Thanks,
Renee (Presnell) Rivers
Baytown, TX

IP Logged
ord510

AZ
Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2006, 9:09pm

Renee,

I noticed this name is also enter on the Scout web site and you have several replies there.  I am sure you know of this and am "just giving a courtesy answer here",

Regards,

Tom McGeeney

Tom
  IP Logged
ladyrt007
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2006, 8:26am

ord510 wrote on Jun 4th, 2006, 9:09pm:
Renee,

I noticed this name is also enter on the Scout web site and you have several replies there.  I am sure you know of this and am "just giving a courtesy answer here",

Regards,

Tom McGeeney

Thanks you Tom Cheesy

IP Logged
Robersabel
YaBB Newbies

Arizona
Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2012, 4:27pm

Colonel Hanmer,

Do you happen to have documents or location describing the participation of the 14th Engineer Regiment during the battle of Bataan.  
      Did they fight the enemy as infantrymen?  If so, were they awarded the Combat Infantryman badge in accordance with guidelines solely pertaining to the time period of service?

Robert E. Johnson

IP Logged
scotisle
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2012, 10:19pm

This image is marked LC-USZ62-106361 in the Library of Congress. Anybody know anything about the men or the location?

Thanks
Scotisle
NYC

LC-USZ62-106361.jpg
WWW   IP Logged
Robersabel
YaBB Newbies

Arizona
Reply #8 - Jan 1st, 2013, 3:20pm

According to the Department of the Army Panphlet 672-1. the 14th Engineer Regiment earned the Distinguished Unit Citation (Presientail Unit Citation).
All recipients of the PUC during the battles are entitled the Bronze Star Medal.
Furthermore, the unit earned the Philippine Presidential Unit Citation.
Since he lost his life, he is entitled the Purple Heart among other awards and decorations.
If you are interested to pursue posthumous awards and decorations, I woild be happy to assist.

Robert

ladyrt007 wrote on May 27th, 2006, 9:52pm:
I am seeking info on my ancestor:
PRESNELL, JOHN F. JR
O-2/USA/COE
#O&022890
Last reort date 19/01/1945
Died in Ship's Sinking or Result of Ship(Brazil Maru)Sinking/Southwest
Pacific Theatre: Philippine Islands/
PW Camp #1 - Cabanatuan 1-2-3 Nueva Province Luzon Philippines

He is listed on the wall of the missing at the American Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific as Maj John Presnell, 14th Eng BN, Phillippine Scouts

Thanks,
Renee (Presnell) Rivers
Baytown, TX

IP Logged
pinoyq8
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - Sep 3rd, 2013, 9:20am

I will ask my first cousins from San Jose and Oceanside if they want to receive the posthumous award for my grandfather, TSgt Dionisio Villarta and uncle, PFC Antonio Villarta.

IP Logged
pinoyq8
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - Sep 3rd, 2013, 9:34am

I heard a story from my mom that her father, TSgt. Dionisio Villarta ordered them to leave the place (San Clemente, Tarlac) because they would demolish the bridge to delay the advancement of the Japanese forces. My grandfather was a Philippine Scouts of the Headquarters and Service Company, 14th Engineer Regiment. Could this be the photo? The one standing and holding a reel of blasting wire could be my grandfather?

I posted a full body photo of him at the Scouts topic.

scotisle wrote on Jun 13th, 2012, 10:19pm:
This image is marked LC-USZ62-106361 in the Library of Congress. Anybody know anything about the men or the location?

Thanks
Scotisle
NYC

« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2013, 8:46pm by pinoyq8 »  
  IP Logged
manongcol
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - Sep 4th, 2013, 11:51pm

Hello,

I'm doing research on the 14th Engineer Reg/Bn (PS). My wife's grandfather, Master Sergeant (ret) Liberato Doles served in the unit before WW2, during the battle of Bataan, survived both death march and POW imprisonment. I have a panoramic photo of the 14th Eng Reg taken Oct 9, 1937 at Fort William McKinley, Philippines. It measures a full 57 inches lengthwise. The photo came from the files & notes of COL (ret) William P. Jones, Jr, who served as lieutenant with the 14th Eng from 1937-39.   Thanks to all, Cedric Jasmin

P6040508_crop.jpg

Cedric Jasmin
  IP Logged
pinoyq8
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - Sep 6th, 2013, 2:00am

Thanks Cedric for sharing this panoramic photo of the 14th Engineering Regiment. This time they had their hats on. Is it possible that you could positively identify my grandfather from that panoramic pic? He was from the Headquarters and Service Company. You can verify from the photo I posted at the forum Scouts.......TSgt. Dionisio Villarta. Thanks.

IP Logged
manongcol
YaBB Newbies

Reply #13 - Sep 6th, 2013, 8:43pm

Pinoyq8,

It's difficult for me to verify the identity of TSgt Dionisio Villarta by comparing photos. Therefore, I'll attached scanned JPG file of just the H&S Co. for you to examine and compare with your photos. Let me know if you can come up with a good identification.

Cedric  

CIMG0352_crop.jpg

Cedric Jasmin
  IP Logged
pinoyq8
YaBB Newbies

Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2013, 2:21am

OK. Thanks Cedric.

IP Logged
pinoyq8
YaBB Newbies

Reply #15 - Sep 8th, 2013, 6:34pm

Cedric,

My grandfather is the 7th of the 2nd row (L-R).

Roel
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2013, 12:16am by pinoyq8 »  

14th_H_S_Eng_crop_2_Oval.JPG
  IP Logged
manongcol
YaBB Newbies

Reply #16 - Sep 8th, 2013, 7:23pm

During the withdrawal into Bataan various engineer groups/unit were involved in demolitions of critical bridges, airfields, piers & other structures.  Attached is picture of a map showing all the principal demolition sites in red. These groups of engineers were under the command & control of USAFFE Engineer, COL Hugh Casey. These groups included personnel from the Commonwealth Bureau of Public Works, Philippine Scout & Philippine Army Engineers, Manila Rail Road employees, Civilian mining engineers from Baguio, to mention a few. Does anyone know of specific demolition work involving 14th Eng (PS) personnel?

img109.jpg

Cedric Jasmin
  IP Logged
pinoyq8
YaBB Newbies

Reply #17 - Sep 10th, 2013, 4:30am

Cedric,

See my comment on the photo about the scouts preparing to demolish a bridge. I heard the story several times from my mom.

Roel

IP Logged
manongcol
YaBB Newbies

Reply #18 - Sep 10th, 2013, 8:28pm

Roel,

Yes, I did see your earlier post. I see from the engineer demolition map that San Clemente, Tarlac (#52 on map) was one of the bridges destroyed by demolition. I notice in the picture some railroad lines on the bridge, therefore closest railroad bridges to San Clemente would have been Ouo-Wawa #54, Baka River #55, and Tarlac #61.

Do you know when and who else was with your grandfather during the bridge demolition in San Clemente, Tarlac?

Cedric

Cedric

Cedric Jasmin
  IP Logged
pinoyq8
YaBB Newbies

Reply #19 - Sep 10th, 2013, 10:38pm

Cedric,

Yes, the railroad bridge on the photo could be one of those you mentioned.

My mom didn't mention any specific date nor who were his companions.

Roel

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print