Philippine Scouts Heritage Society   Welcome, Guest. Please Login
  News:
Welcome to the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society Message Board. If you would like to register to be able to post to the message board please email us at webmaster@philippine-scouts.org and give us a username you would like to use. We have been experiencing a significant amount of spam registrations and this seems like the best solution to fix this. Thank you!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Major Richard M. Gordon (Read 2820 times)
Fred Foz

Major Richard M. Gordon
Feb 13th, 2004, 5:10pm

Posted originally on 15:36:19 06/08/03

Our Sympathy to the bereaved family of Major Richard M. Gordon. We are three survivors of Bataan, death march and concentration camps living in Hawaii. John Moyer was with Major Gordon in the Phil. Division, Gil Gutierrez of the 12th Medical Bn while I was assigned with "F" Co., 2nd Bn., 45th Inf PS from the beginning of WW II until we were captured in Bataan. John Moyer suffered with Maj. Gordon who were on HELLSHIPS. We in the Phil. Scouts sympathize with the rest of the Americans esp during the death march. Life was so cheap like chicken. We were helpless for not being able to assist them. However, most of us were sick and were released from concentrration and after recuperating for a few months we joined/formed guerilla forces. I was not released in my hometown Dingras because my brother Napoleon was still fighting with Gov. Roque Ablan in the north. Up to this writing Gov. Ablan has not been found. Before he led his men to the Cordillera Mts, he said that HE WOULD ! RATHER DIE THAN TO SURRENDER TO THE JAPANESE. You cannot find a more loyal people than the Filipinos at the time. Col. Ruperto Kangleon whose familly was caught and taken hostage during the Jap occupation. The enemy sent a messenger to inform Col. Kangleon to surrender or his wife and children were to be executed. He paused and stepped for a few second and then said. I quote: "the lives of my wife and children are in the hands of God, " unquote. You cannot find a more loyal than that. In my area up northern Luzon the guerillas liberated four States/provinces without any American fighting men involved other than supplies. We raided the Jap garrison in Dingras 8 months before the landing in Leyte Oct. 20, 1944. That was what we had done for the sake of our brother Americans who suffered the most inhumane in the history of warfare. May His Soul Rest In Peace. Till We Meet Again Richard-from fredfoz

IP Logged
Sgt John Cervone

Re: Major Richard M. Gordon
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2004, 5:12pm

Posted originally on 22:18:23 06/08/03

Good Morning...My name is Sgt John Cervone. I am very sad to hear of the Major's passing. He was a wonderful man and an inspiration to me. In 1997 we worked on a writing project together. It was an interview that was published in Military History magazine. 1998. (Primedia Publications). I interviewed the Major and the article was a great success. It was re-printed last year as one of the best Military History Magazine interviews of the last 10 years. The way we became friends was kind of interesting. In 1997, I wrote an article for ARMY magazine concerning the "Death March" . The Major wrote me that I had made a mistake. I had included Corregidor Survivors in the March. The Maj explained my error and I was very upset as I thought I had written something really misleading. He then explained to me that this had occurred many times over the yrs and he understood. We then collaborated to write the interview with solid facts and also tried to correct the many miscues that were reported over the yrs. We also became involved in the Memorial March at White Sands. We tried to let people know not only about the March but also the history behind it. The Maj. also knew Bataan Survivors living here in RI, so we were able to keep track of their lives. Sadly, they have all passed also. To me, the Major was a hero and that is how I will remember him.

Sincerely,
Sgt John Cervone
RING Public Affairs

IP Logged
Don Fuhrmann

Re: Major Richard M. Gordon
Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2004, 5:15pm

Originally posted on 23:24:29 07/09/03

I originally met Major (Captain) Gordon when he was my football coach on Okinawa in 1957. He told me of his Bataan service but we lost touch when I rotated home and was discharged. I found him in 1997 on the internet and we became friends again. It was then that I realized he might have known my cousin Charles Brandon Fuhrmann of the 48th Materiel Squadron on Bataan. He did not remember meeting him but gave me many details of O'Donnel and the Death March. I met Major Gordon in New Orleans where we spent several hours talking of old times on Okinawa and his life. I treasure an autographed copy of his book Horyo. I will miss him and he indeed was an american hero.
Don Fuhrmann 9-8-03

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print